Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
The Rock guard paint was on the previous car and resolved the issue. It had an even longer over hang/bumper than the CR-Z
I understand the physics but what is the height of the lowest part of the CR-Z compared to the Mazda? I bet the Mazda is higher off the ground. It all is a factor but when you find a solution show us. There was feet of flat space in front of my wheels on the previous car there is much less with the CR-Z but it is lower. The Mazda appears to be a little higher off the ground and has no over hang at all but how does that relate to making the bumper and supposed issues less without it looking like you had an accident and cut off the bumper cover which goes all the way up to the hood and to both sides?

At this point you have something you do not like which is a major part of the design of the car you want to fix it. There are many ways to do that up to and including the more rugged paint, driving at an angle or designing a whole new bumper. You are leaning toward this last option which is the most expensive and it is your car your and idea. More power to you. many different solutions to a problem. None are good or bad just different. if you make something others want you can sell it. The rock guard paint the way it was done was not seen and prevented the damage as it was a tougher material than paint. What is wrong with that as a solution and why laugh? Paint done properly is less expensive than fiberglass work. It was not the heavy duty bed liner thick material . It was a more flexible thinner material and was perfect for this application. But no one but service shops or the places that had the car on a lift ever saw it. The current owner of the car probably does not know it is not factory. I will never know as I sold it but i am considering similar for my current car. My car my choice and a little extra protection just like the PPF I have installed which many derided me about here but it makes me happy so I did it. I hope you find something that makes you happy.

You never quit, do you? Shouldn't you be out spraying some bedliner on your bumper or something? lol

Here maybe this will help you understand the physics of it:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
The rest of my OEM intake finally showed up in the mail so I got it installed. The bracket is missing from my car so I rigged something up with some strap aluminum. Gonna do the airflow mod also. I did a couple deep discharge and charge cycles on my battery and it has definitely improved! I have no metrics to go by but it feels like it's got more assist power and it definitely lasts a lot longer. Before in Sport mode it would be out in a few blocks but now I can drive in sport around town and park in the top half of battery.

Also I put a bodykit and lowering springs on my wife's car since we're talking about it again. Converted to E85, lowered, bodykit, new headlight lenses. Man it looks great. It is a great car to drive. The 2 and the CR-Z are pretty similar underneath so they drive pretty close but the 2 is 200-300lbs lighter. The 2 is 5 speed but it is really snappy.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I got my AEM exhaust today and installed it. I went with the AEM for three reasons: 1. it's in stock and available, 2. it's AEM and they should be able to make numbers on a dyno, and 3. it is low profile and not too loud. AEM CR-Z Exhaust: https://amzn.to/3obyHE3

I have to say I really love it. High quality build and it fit on just perfectly. I really like how it's hidden up out of view for the most part, it keeps that Hybrid sleeper look. The sound is great. Just a good rumble and note without being loud at idle and no boominess or drone on the highway. Feels faster too but who knows for sure. I will add a downpipe next to complete the exhaust when it is delivered.

Compared to stock + Megan muffler:

I really love the look from behind. This is a hybrid with attitude lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Compared to when I first bought this car to now it has come a long way! Much more pep in the motor and that 7000 RPM redline is so much nicer in 1st and 2nd gear. And it sounds awesome with this exhaust! The IMA assist is coming on hard and often after I did deep cycling on my Nimh pack. I got @PeterPerkins' OBDIIC&C device and have been learning about how to use that to improve performance. Really stoked on how far it has already come with just a handful of tweaks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Today I did some more maintenance and mods to my Z. A week or two ago I picked up an RB1 intake manifold from the junkyard and cleaned it up and painted it. I also got myself some spark plugs and a valvecover gasket because I thought it would be a great opportunity to replace the plugs and adjust the valve clearance at the same time. Glad I did as all the valves were loose and the plugs were some junk Autolite plugs. Gross! I set all clearances and swapped in NGK plugs.

NGK Spark Plugs that fit CR-Z (BKR6EIX-11): https://amzn.to/3qCbUEa
Valvecover gasket: https://amzn.to/3qGtjeO
Feeler gauge set: https://amzn.to/3or9mGo
Light Grey Wrinkle Paint (for texture): https://amzn.to/3D82gwu
Plutonium Green Paint: https://amzn.to/3wFihaW

Adjusted all the valves. I've been noticing some ticking noise on startup lately hopefully this helps. All the valves were loose, the exhaust not as much but still slightly.

there is this little window for a socket to slip through and spin the crank. Super useful!

Gross! The Autolite plugs look pretty new but you always want to run NGKs in your Japanese cars. Also the plugs were barely hand tight! They were all loose so luckily I caught them before any backed out.

I was going to paint my intake red like @scs.sam did, but then I had second thoughts. This is a hybrid right? It's supposed to save the planet and allow the children to breath free, right? Ok I'll paint it wrinkle GREEN! I think it looks awesome!

Lastly, I replaced the doors checks on both doors. Tired of getting hit in the ass by these big ass doors! 5 minute job that is sooooo worth it!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Did you notice any power difference with the rb1 intake?
Honestly, no. I didn't feel any difference. Possibly a little better but so minuscule it's hard to notice. I believe the dyno though and it was only $10 at the u pull. A larger plenum volume is beneficial and it helps with forced induction if I ever go that route too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I switched over to E85 a little while ago and have been tuning it in. I dropped almost another full second from my 0-60 and half a second from the 1/4 mile. It feels really good through the mid-range.

0-60: 11.04s and 1/4 mi: 18.10s @ 73.55 MPH
Previous Best: 11.91s 0-60 and 18.56s @ 71.9 MPH

I used my Dragy device: https://amzn.to/3xpfiU9

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I made a little video comparing my CR-Z to my 2005 Civic Si EP3. They are very similar!

I've owned a 1g '87 CRX Si and a 3g '86 Civic hatchback and an EP3 and CR-Z now. The DNA is strong in these cars!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts