Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
I am quietly researching the brakes as I want to solve the issue once and only once. I have modified other vehicles and did the modifications once and got exactly what I wanted. I do not want to spend a lot of money or cause more running expense. We are all different here and we all have different goals. Many here enjoy the constant modifications for uses of the vehicle that comprise less that 10 percent of their driving or purposes the vehicle was never designed for. My car is my only transportation and I need it dead nuts reliable , able to be maintained by any shop anywhere, registered anywhere and be legal anywhere I happen to take it.

Like I said I hope it becomes whatever you wanted it to be.

Except the brakes, right? :ROFLMAO: You could fix the brakes and make them to your liking but I guess you just like to type. I like to take action.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sorry, @Spdbump, but you can't have it both ways. Either I can be different and have different goals or you can come in here and lecture me about how the car is fine and I should have test drove it and I need to drive differently. It'd be like me coming into your thread and saying the brakes are fine and you are moving your foot wrong and your nerves are feeling it wrong. So which is it? Can I be grumpy about the front bumper or not??

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Today I messed with my new Flashpro and dropped about 1 second from my 0-60 time. This is just running 91 octane premium to get a baseline. I did a bunch of runs to get the best run from each attempt to hopefully get the most consistent results. Right now I have only added 1 degree of ignition timing across the board and adjusted the fuel to be in the 12.5:1 - 13:1 range at WOT from any RPM. I also increased the rev limit to 7500. I am lowering it to 7200 as it sounds like valves are floating above 7400.

I did every run in Sport mode with traction control off and I park and charge the IMA battery to at least 7/8 bars before each attempt.

I am using a Dragy GPS and accelerometer based device that is extremely accurate to measure my results: https://amzn.to/3nJj4Ua The only thing more accurate is going to a drag strip.

Run 1: stock ECU, stock airbox, Megan muffler. No other mods or changes. 91-octane fuel shifting at 6500 RPM
Run 2: Flashpro tune, same otherwise. 91-octane fuel shifting at 6500 RPM
Run 3: Flashpro tune, same otherwise. 91-octane fuel shifting at 7200 RPM

Run 1: 0-60 - 12.96 sec, 1/4 mile - 19.04 sec @ 69.38 MPH
Run 2: 0-60 - 12.25 sec, 1/4 mile - 18.60 sec @ 71.59 MPH
Run 3: 0-60 - 11.91 sec, 1/4 mile - 18.56 sec @ 71.9 MPH

So you can see it definitely picked up some power! It feels much better just rowing through the gears around town also. Revving up to 7k just feels natural and the motor sounds happy, makes 1st and 2nd gear a little more peppy feeling just by revving a bit longer. You can see the higher rev limit does make the car faster to 60 MPH because you can hit 60 MPH in 2nd gear, but the 1/4 mile time is about the same because it's still the same number of shifts ultimately.

The changes I've made are very basic and there is still a lot more to adjust! It immediately feels more lively and spirited to drive.

Run 1:

Run 2:

Run 3:

·
Administrator
7,871 Posts
Sorry, @Spdbump, but you can't have it both ways. Either I can be different and have different goals or you can come in here and lecture me about how the car is fine and I should have test drove it and I need to drive differently. It'd be like me coming into your thread and saying the brakes are fine and you are moving your foot wrong and your nerves are feeling it wrong. So which is it? Can I be grumpy about the front bumper or not??
You can do anything you want and will but anyone can and will say things we will not all agree with. You basically said the whole suspension and car was crappy all I said was I disagreed. If you want create something completely custom to gain a 1/4 inch more bumper clearance by cutting the bumper go right ahead! Maybe it will be cool maybe not. I have been given all kinds of advice when i talked about what I wanted to do and it was not something I was interested in doing. But I read and responded. In the case of the front end of this car we have all scraped a bit and some of the members have lowered others wanted to raise the car for a lot more clearance for really bad roads and off road use. Not many have been successful but as you said it your car. I am not the only one who suggested angling or driving the car differently. I just happened to be your target this time and suggested something I did on my last car and will probably do on this one. You don't want any advice from me then fine I will not respond to you anymore in your threads but please do not single me out because I happen to have an administrator tag. I am a member like all of the rest of the members. I was just asked to help out.

I saw a similar gas cap on my Mother's Fusion. I can see the advantage as long as it fits.

Any owner can do anything they want to their car at any time but as I stated before they will get comments. If you don't want comments then don't post. This is how forums are. Things are posted and they are discussed good, bad or ugly.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You can do anything you want and will but anyone can and will say things we will not all agree with. You basically said the whole suspension and car was crappy all I said was I disagreed. If you want create something completely custom to gain a 1/4 inch more bumper clearance by cutting the bumper go right ahead! Maybe it will be cool maybe not. I have been given all kinds of advice when i talked about what I wanted to do and it was not something I was interested in doing. But I read and responded. In the case of the front end of this car we have all scraped a bit and some of the members have lowered others wanted to raise the car for a lot more clearance for really bad roads and off road use. Not many have been successful but as you said it your car. I am not the only one who suggested angling or driving the car differently. I just happened to be your target this time and suggested something I did on my last car and will probably do on this one. You don't want any advice from me then fine I will not respond to you anymore in your threads but please do not single me out because I happen to have an administrator tag. I am a member like all of the rest of the members. I was just asked to help out.

I saw a similar gas cap on my Mother's Fusion. I can see the advantage as long as it fits.

Any owner can do anything they want to their car at any time but as I stated before they will get comments. If you don't want comments then don't post. This is how forums are. Things are posted and they are discussed good, bad or ugly.
I did not say anything negative about the suspension. I love the way the CR-Z handles. You are making crap up. Quote it! I have been raving about my CR-Z and I love everything about it except the front bumper overhang. That's all. You have officially lost it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hooked up my battery to some leads for deep charging/discharging today. Peter's guide was of course useful as always. Got a chance to use my high voltage orange zip ties! Discharging it now with a lightbulb.

Stuck the wire through a rubber hose and then through a hole in the cover so that the wire doesn't rub against the sharp edge. Orange tape to signify high voltage.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Ok so first things first my car has a Megan muffler and Typhoon intake. I'm not really a huge fan of either so I have ordered a cat-back exhaust and header. I also got myself a stock airbox off ebay. I also resurfaced the headlights and changed the oil. Standard new car buy stuff.

I used this headlight restore kit: https://amzn.to/3BtkcjE

I gotta say I actually do like the way the muffler sounds but I just want to do a full exhaust.

I did the "Spoon" airbox mod and removed all the plastic baffles which I guess is a thing. Just score each side with a knife and then they snap off with pliers really easy and clean.

The other intake tube piece is still in the mail.

I also swapped on my quick fill gas cap from my EP3 (https://amzn.to/2ZxbEeL). I love this thing:

And of course DROP STOP! https://amzn.to/3jOixzc

Drop stop?!?! Looks life-changing! I appreciate the merch links!

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
775 Posts
I've never had an issue with this. The underside of the bumper is scuffed, but I've never heard/felt it scrape when I drive. my current tires (225/45 R17) are slightly larger than the OEM tires so I wonder if this helps. I just take any steep ramps at an angle, and even that is just a precaution for me.

It's the responsibility of the following driver to maintain a safe distance.
it's the responsibility of drivers to do many things. Drive safely, avoid distractions, maintain your vehicle in a safe, working condition, etc. But we all know that a number of people can't be bothered to do any of that. It is alarmingly common to see people driving on low tires, with no headlights, or no brake lights, or on their phones. People don't take driving seriously.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just had my wife's 2012 Mazda2 on the lift. Check out how clean this bumper is. That's the effect of a short overhang.

I'd love to see anyone's CR-Z look as clean as this one :D

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Just had my wife's 2012 Mazda2 on the lift. Check out how clean this bumper is. That's the effect of a short overhang.

I'd love to see anyone's CR-Z look as clean as this one :D
Guess a Mazda2 bumper is in your future.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts