Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
Whenever possible I back in this cuts down the chance of rubbing the bottom of the bumper or I use an angle like everyone else has said. Even I being as careful as I can have scrapes on the bottom of the bumper. It was worse with the Pontiac Grand Prix that I had even though it was higher the bumper length front of car to where wheels were was longer. My solution on that car when I was having some paint work done was my body shop added a strip of black what they called "Rock Guard" paint that went from the lower horizontal surface all the way to the back of that flat part of the bumper but it could not be seen unless you were under the car. It was a semi rubberized material and it held up well to the few times I scraped after it was done. I am considering similar for The Speed Bump. Something more resistant to scraping or at least easier to touch up.

I have found and not sure why but there are too many that follow too close lately or drive at a speed that is much much higher than everyone else on the road. I have had a few close calls recently that concerned me.

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
Sounds like you guys have settled on living with this crappy design. That's fine. This is my car and I want to modify it to suit me and my preferences.
Your vehicle your choice. All vehicles are a compromise. I do not think it is a crappy design if I did I would not have bought it. That is what test drives are for but I don't buy to modify. I buy to drive. Have fun re-engineering it. I hope it becomes whatever you wanted.

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
I am quietly researching the brakes as I want to solve the issue once and only once. I have modified other vehicles and did the modifications once and got exactly what I wanted. I do not want to spend a lot of money or cause more running expense. We are all different here and we all have different goals. Many here enjoy the constant modifications for uses of the vehicle that comprise less that 10 percent of their driving or purposes the vehicle was never designed for. My car is my only transportation and I need it dead nuts reliable , able to be maintained by any shop anywhere, registered anywhere and be legal anywhere I happen to take it.

Like I said I hope it becomes whatever you wanted it to be.

Except the brakes, right? :ROFLMAO: You could fix the brakes and make them to your liking but I guess you just like to type. I like to take action.

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
Sorry, @Spdbump, but you can't have it both ways. Either I can be different and have different goals or you can come in here and lecture me about how the car is fine and I should have test drove it and I need to drive differently. It'd be like me coming into your thread and saying the brakes are fine and you are moving your foot wrong and your nerves are feeling it wrong. So which is it? Can I be grumpy about the front bumper or not??
You can do anything you want and will but anyone can and will say things we will not all agree with. You basically said the whole suspension and car was crappy all I said was I disagreed. If you want create something completely custom to gain a 1/4 inch more bumper clearance by cutting the bumper go right ahead! Maybe it will be cool maybe not. I have been given all kinds of advice when i talked about what I wanted to do and it was not something I was interested in doing. But I read and responded. In the case of the front end of this car we have all scraped a bit and some of the members have lowered others wanted to raise the car for a lot more clearance for really bad roads and off road use. Not many have been successful but as you said it your car. I am not the only one who suggested angling or driving the car differently. I just happened to be your target this time and suggested something I did on my last car and will probably do on this one. You don't want any advice from me then fine I will not respond to you anymore in your threads but please do not single me out because I happen to have an administrator tag. I am a member like all of the rest of the members. I was just asked to help out.

I saw a similar gas cap on my Mother's Fusion. I can see the advantage as long as it fits.

Any owner can do anything they want to their car at any time but as I stated before they will get comments. If you don't want comments then don't post. This is how forums are. Things are posted and they are discussed good, bad or ugly.

·
Premium Member
7,971 Posts
The Rock guard paint was on the previous car and resolved the issue. It had an even longer over hang/bumper than the CR-Z
I understand the physics but what is the height of the lowest part of the CR-Z compared to the Mazda? I bet the Mazda is higher off the ground. It all is a factor but when you find a solution show us. There was feet of flat space in front of my wheels on the previous car there is much less with the CR-Z but it is lower. The Mazda appears to be a little higher off the ground and has no over hang at all but how does that relate to making the bumper and supposed issues less without it looking like you had an accident and cut off the bumper cover which goes all the way up to the hood and to both sides?

At this point you have something you do not like which is a major part of the design of the car you want to fix it. There are many ways to do that up to and including the more rugged paint, driving at an angle or designing a whole new bumper. You are leaning toward this last option which is the most expensive and it is your car your and idea. More power to you. many different solutions to a problem. None are good or bad just different. if you make something others want you can sell it. The rock guard paint the way it was done was not seen and prevented the damage as it was a tougher material than paint. What is wrong with that as a solution and why laugh? Paint done properly is less expensive than fiberglass work. It was not the heavy duty bed liner thick material . It was a more flexible thinner material and was perfect for this application. But no one but service shops or the places that had the car on a lift ever saw it. The current owner of the car probably does not know it is not factory. I will never know as I sold it but i am considering similar for my current car. My car my choice and a little extra protection just like the PPF I have installed which many derided me about here but it makes me happy so I did it. I hope you find something that makes you happy.

You never quit, do you? Shouldn't you be out spraying some bedliner on your bumper or something? lol

Here maybe this will help you understand the physics of it:

1 - 6 of 7 Posts