Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting these rims : VOXX WHEELS 222 18X7.5 10/5X100-114.3 with these tires : Nitto Neogen 205/40R18

Looking for comfort and performance when I need it without affecting my MPG... Smart Move ?

Thx for the feedback !

·
Registered
533 Posts
I moved up to 17"s
I've read on the forum and heard from multiple people that 18"s sacrifices ride comfort.

Yeah there is still a wheel well gap; not AS big. Buying a nicer set of springs that drop it about an inch usually fixes the problem.

As far as MPG goes, I haven't noticed a difference with my new wheels. I've heard 18"s also affect that aspect; though have not experienced this myself.

Nice looking wheels, what color CR-Z do you have?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Moving up in rim size general affects MPG, to how much depends on many factors. Larger rims weight more and so do tires, this extra weight will afftect acceloration and decceloration. I could not imagen losing more then 1 MPG if you did something like jump from a 16 to 18. MPG is also affected by the type of tire you have, a low rolling resistance tire will give better MPG then normal tiers

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I moved up to 17"s
I've read on the forum and heard from multiple people that 18"s sacrifices ride comfort.

Yeah there is still a wheel well gap; not AS big. Buying a nicer set of springs that drop it about an inch usually fixes the problem.

As far as MPG goes, I haven't noticed a difference with my new wheels. I've heard 18"s also affect that aspect; though have not experienced this myself.

Nice looking wheels, what color CR-Z do you have?
If you do nothing to the suspension the wheel gap doesnt change by increasing wheel diameter because you decrease tire diameter. This is also the reason why the ride gets rougher when you upsize wheels: lower profile tires tend to ride rougher.

Moving up in rim size general affects MPG, to how much depends on many factors. Larger rims weight more and so do tires, this extra weight will afftect acceloration and decceloration. I could not imagen losing more then 1 MPG if you did something like jump from a 16 to 18. MPG is also affected by the type of tire you have, a low rolling resistance tire will give better MPG then normal tiers
MPG is affected most by weight. The CRZ stock wheels are really light to begin with. If you can find a wheel that is larger in diameter that weighs less MPG should improve.

·
Registered
239 Posts
While its a much bigger difference in engine power, when I put 15's on my 8-valve civic (13's stock) mileage dropped by about 5 around town and 8 on the highway, double in town discrepancy during winter). It will also change your speedometer reading and put more stress on your drivetrain.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That wheel/tire combo will kill your acceleration, mileage, and ride comfort. I'm not going to look up the precise wheel weights but I doubt that those 18 inch Voxx wheels weigh only 17 pounds (more like 20 plus). If you are just going for looks I guess it doesn't matter, but you mentioned performance...

I picked up some lightweight 17's and upgraded my stock tires to tires with real grip and my car is much more enjoyable to drive now...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yeah, I'd say 17"s. As far as performance goes, that's the weight and the tire. I got Yokohama, Avid Envigors. And my Sparco, Asetto Garas (rims) are 17/7.5 I believe.
No issues.

Don't forget to get some TPMS sensors in them.

I got mine from tirerack.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.