Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 year old daughter and may have to drive her time to time in the CRZ. I know it's not recommended and not as safe as riding in a back seat, however I may have no choice. I know laws say it's legal because of her age and weight. Regardeless, is there a way to disable the front airbag and is anyone using a portable fold out harness booster type seat for younger kids?

Sam

·
Registered
112 Posts
It is possible.

You must find out what the ohm resistance is on the sensor when there is no one sitting on the seat. Unplugging the sensor and replacing it with a resistor.

The stock seat has height sensor too. You probably need to disconnect that too and replace it with a resistor.

The Honda CRZ manual is littered with phrases that basically say that no child should ever ride in the car and that serious injury could result even if a short adult is riding.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on this car but I can't imagine it would have less technology. My 06 Accord had a weight sensor in the front passenger seat that would disable it if someone was in the seat that was below a certain weight. It also had something in the side airbag on that side so if you were leaning over to the right (sleeping or something I guess, leaning on the door) it would cut off the side airbag so it won't blow out in your face if you were to have a crash. Either thing would light an indicator on the dash telling you.

I never saw it in action because I have no kids...but it was all well detailed in the manual. You might want to look there before messing with putting resistors in sensors as I'd bet that would void warranties if your SRS computer had trouble later.....the car make take care of disabling it for you.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on this car but I can't imagine it would have less technology. My 06 Accord had a weight sensor in the front passenger seat that would disable it if someone was in the seat that was below a certain weight. It also had something in the side airbag on that side so if you were leaning over to the right (sleeping or something I guess, leaning on the door) it would cut off the side airbag so it won't blow out in your face if you were to have a crash. Either thing would light an indicator on the dash telling you.

I never saw it in action because I have no kids...but it was all well detailed in the manual.

EDIT: Looked in the manual here as I had it out for something else. p.47: "The passenger's advanced front airbag system
includes weight sensors. Although Honda
recommends against carrying an infant or
small child in the passenger seat, if the sensors
detect the weight of a child (up to about 65
lbs or 29 kg), the system will automatically
turn off the passenger’s front airbag."

p.50: "To prevent a passenger from possible injury by an inflating side airbag, the
passenger side airbag is automatically turned off when:
●● The height sensors detect a child or small statured adult is seated in the
passenger seat.
●● The position sensors detect that the passenger is leaning into the deployment
path of the side airbag.
When the side airbag cutoff system is activated, the side airbag off indicator comes
on."

So in theory you shouldn't have to do anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I never saw it in action because I have no kids...but it was all well detailed in the manual.

EDIT: Looked in the manual here as I had it out for something else. p.47: "The passenger's advanced front airbag system
includes weight sensors. Although Honda
recommends against carrying an infant or
small child in the passenger seat, if the sensors
detect the weight of a child (up to about 65
lbs or 29 kg), the system will automatically
turn off the passenger’s front airbag."

p.50: "To prevent a passenger from possible injury by an inflating side airbag, the
passenger side airbag is automatically turned off when:
●● The height sensors detect a child or small statured adult is seated in the
passenger seat.
●● The position sensors detect that the passenger is leaning into the deployment
path of the side airbag.
When the side airbag cutoff system is activated, the side airbag off indicator comes
on."

So in theory you shouldn't have to do anything.
That's why I was thinking. Thanks for the info. I'm sure the poster above comes from the good old tuning days of the 90's. I remember pulling fuses to shut off traction control, ABS, tricking sensors, etc ran around with check engine lights all the time, but oh well..lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are sensors in the seat attached by wires. You would need to unplug the wire and attach a resistor (otherwise you will have a warning light to check the SRS system). You have a weight sensor and height sensor in the passenger seat.

The driver's seat has an extra sensor that determines the seat location (forward or further back).

The seat belts in the CRZ also have an auto retract on impact, which are 'use once'.

I am old school, but I've kept up with the technology.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i remember on my Si driving around with my girl at the time... she was around 105lbs and if she leaned/sat on the front part of the seat, which for some reason she liked to sit, then the airbag would turn off automatically...

fireballer pretty much covered it already tho... if the weight isn't enough they airbag won't deploy... and i think i read somewhere it depends on a few things but the airbag might actually deploy with less force if it senses a lighter person...

·
Registered
22 Posts
What guys,
Sorry to bring up an old thread again, but has anyone confirmed this? My son is 4 and REALLY wants to ride in the Shark Car, with his dad, and I would have to put him in a booster chair. So I'd like to know, then again I could always test it out myself, but that's what you guys are for! :thumbsup:

Thanks all!

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I have an update, over the weekend. I couldn't hold out any longer, as my son again asked if he could ride in the Shark Car, again (who can blame him? LOL). We grabbed his booster seat and threw it into the passenger side. And low and behold the Passenger Airbag was highlighted off. After looking at the booster chair, it seemed like the width of the booster chair was wider than the lower half of the seat. So it was raised and never touched the bottom cushion. Because of this, I believe the weight sensor, didn't have any weight to leave it on, ?but the other sensors in the car still noticed something there?

All in all, I still haven't seen anything stating the side air bags are off, so I don't know if those were still on. Anyone have any other experiences like mine? Hope this helps someone :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
105 lbs? That's like an adult Vietnamese woman's weight...
LOL...not if she keeps eating pizzas and burgers, like my wife.

Back on topic...I either read it or was told by my salesman about all the sensors in the seats and what they're supposed to do, and it's pretty much in line with what you guys are saying. I haven't read the manual much, so to sum it up, Honda warns against having young children riding in the car, but they have safeguards for such situations?

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is a weight sensor and I can't imagine the sensor would think a 6 year old is heavy enough.

It's real easy to find out though.
If the passenger is not heavy enough, or not sitting correctly, the sensor will turn off the passenger airbag and a light comes on to tell you about it.

Put her in the seat and see if the light comes on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
not sure of the US version,but my EU CR-Z when the passeger door is opened,pretty much next to the glove box,there's a key hole,to switch off/on the passeger air bag...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.