Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had leather seating surfaces added to my CR-Z (see my garage for a pix), and when the installer took apart the passenger seat, he noticed there was a heating element pad already in place on the upper or back of the passenger seat. The black wire beneath the seat is the wire that led to this heating element pad, and it of course led to the front of the vehicle. I haven't tried to locate it, but it could be difficult given the harnesses that snake around up front. Hope not.

When considering having the seats heated (I decided not to), I discovered it was not advisable to heat the lower part of the passenger seat, apparently because of an air bag sensor conflict. Not sure this is the last word on that exclusion, but it might explain the strange discovery of a heating pad already installed in the upper part of the passenger seat only (no pad discovered in the driver's side). Perhaps Honda just orders all passenger seats this way?

Anyone else had this discovery? Maybe the installers of those who have altered their seats didn't mention this? Or perhaps I have an exception.

At any rate, it works great for me, for my wife is the one who likes to have a heated seat, so I''ll eventually figure out how to hook it up with a switch. I'll let you all know what I find as I get to it.

· Registered
1,390 Posts
DONT TOUCH IT, thats not a heating pad, its a sensor to tell the SRS system if it needs to turn off the passenger airbag or not. If the weight in the passenger seat is below 60 lbs (if you were to have an infant in your passenger seat) the airbag wont deploy to keep them safe.

dont touch the "heating pad" its actually a sensor.

· Registered
95 Posts
...60 lbs (if you were to have an infant in your passenger seat) the airbag wont deploy to keep them safe.

dont touch the "heating pad" its actually a sensor.
FYI...the sendor "pad" disengages the airbag to keep the infant in the passenger seat (hopefully in a car seat) safe. Airbags have been known to be extremely dangerous for little kids, hence the ~60lb weight trigger.
It's best to just not transport babies in your CRZ...I think a car seat in the front seat is supposed to be the most dangerous place anyways...not sure though. I guess if all else fails, refer to the manual. That should have the most reliable information on your car.

· Registered
1,390 Posts
FYI...the sendor "pad" disengages the airbag to keep the infant in the passenger seat (hopefully in a car seat) safe. Airbags have been known to be extremely dangerous for little kids, hence the ~60lb weight trigger.
It's best to just not transport babies in your CRZ...I think a car seat in the front seat is supposed to be the most dangerous place anyways...not sure though. I guess if all else fails, refer to the manual. That should have the most reliable information on your car.
FYI, i already said that...

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the info, but confused

I appreciate the info, to be sure. Haven't done anything so far. So the airbag sensor is in the upper or back portion of the seat, not the lower, where it would seem, weight of an occupant would be sensed? The installer said there were two wires, a colored one, can't think of what color it was, leading to what he said was the airbag sensor, and a black wire leading to what he thought was a heating pad on the upper portion of the seat. So, if I'm understanding you, the airbag sensor that determines if the weight of a passenger is sufficient, is in the upper, or seatback portion of the seat, right? And that it looks like a heating element pad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.