Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my CR-Z for a week and a half now. I love this car more and more everyday! I have not had this much enjoyment driving a car in a long, long time- I am talking years. I do wish the sun glass compartment door would stay open though.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is I spend 99.9% of the time in ECON mode to save gas on my commute. The problem I have is once and awhile I will put it in SPORT when I get on the freeway so I can merge (Those that live in So Cal know why) and when I do it is like I am 15 again learning how to drive a stick again (clutch/ gas timing off) because the driving dynamics change so much.

Anyone else get in this rut or vise versa? I guess I have to hit SPORT more often.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I can average pretty much the same MPG in all three modes so most of the time I just leave it in normal despite Sport and ECON optimize electric motor variable assist.
Since I have a 6MT which gear ratios stays the same in all three modes, I just press the gas pedal and use the right gear when I need to go faster.
I use Sport mode whenever I need a heavier steering feel. And I hit ECON when I use cruise control, which I actually rarely do.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Anyway, the purpose of this thread is I spend 99.9% of the time in ECON mode to save gas on my commute. The problem I have is once and awhile I will put it in SPORT when I get on the freeway so I can merge (Those that live in So Cal know why) and when I do it is like I am 15 again learning how to drive a stick again (clutch/ gas timing off) because the driving dynamics change so much.
I used to run Normal all the time, but started running Sport a while back. Now, every time I switch it back to Normal, I'm lugging the engine. Doh.

Since Sport's more fun and just as (or more) fuel efficient for my driving style, I guess I'll just leave it there!

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can average pretty much the same MPG in all three modes so most of the time I just leave it in normal despite Sport and ECON optimize electric motor variable assist.
Since I have a 6MT which gear ratios stays the same in all three modes, I just press the gas pedal and use the right gear when I need to go faster.
I use Sport mode whenever I need a heavier steering feel. And I hit ECON when I use cruise control, which I actually rarely do.
Mine is th 6MT also..... Out of an 80 mile round trip commute only 10 is in city. Thats why mine lives in ECON.
the modes change the response on the gas pedal so in a sense you can't press it the same amount while shifting in every mode. That's why people get the Rev Hang in sport.
This is precisely what I do!

I used to run Normal all the time, but started running Sport a while back. Now, every time I switch it back to Normal, I'm lugging the engine. Doh.

Since Sport's more fun and just as (or more) fuel efficient for my driving style, I guess I'll just leave it there!
... And I am the opposite, LOL!

·
Registered
376 Posts
VTEC...I am glad you like your new ride. Maybe like is an understatement but that's as far as I want to go with an inanimate object. This car really put a smile on you every time you get in and out of it. Driving style is inconsequential. IMHO.

I totally understand why you want to keep in ECON mode especially with the gas price now a day. I am always in ECON mode too. But I do missed using the SPORT mode...it feels really responsive. Alas the gas price and the amount of driving I do; needing to keep my bank account stable take priority. :sadwavey:

It was fun when I was breaking in my engine all in SPORT mode...good memories...

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VTEC...I am glad you like your new ride. Maybe like is an understatement but that's as far as I want to go with an inanimate object. This car really put a smile on you every time you get in and out of it. Driving style is inconsequential. IMHO.

I totally understand why you want to keep in ECON mode especially with the gas price now a day. I am always in ECON mode too. But I do missed using the SPORT mode...it feels really responsive. Alas the gas price and the amount of driving I do; needing to keep my bank account stable take priority. :sadwavey:

It was fun when I was breaking in my engine all in SPORT mode...good memories...
I know what you mean about the bank account. Since you live in CA I don't need to tell you how we pay stupid money for gas compared to the rest of the nation. I think Hawaii is the only state that is more than us.
I run ECON, too. Sport mode does take some getting used to if it's not used in a while. Still a ton of fun once you stop over-revving every shift :p
I am so glad to hear I am not the only one with SPORTmodeitus:thumbsup:. I am also glad I am not the only one driving primarily in ECON

·
Registered
674 Posts
Guys, if you are driving in ECON because of the $, have you don the numbers? @$4/gal, 12500 miles a year, 5MPG difference (40 vs. 35) is $15/mo. Or 50 cents a day to drive in Sport full time. So don't torture yourself if Sport makes you much happier.

In my case ECON keeps me reasonable on the road and keeps me entertained in the quest of a 50MPG tank.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I tend to use econ to encourage autostop (have some level crossings on my commute which often mean over a minute stopped). I really hate the big change in throttle tesponse from a standing start which means the occasional 4k rpm start at an easy junction.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tend to use econ to encourage autostop (have some level crossings on my commute which often mean over a minute stopped). I really hate the big change in throttle tesponse from a standing start which means the occasional 4k rpm start at an easy junction.
You have to rev it to 4K in ECON to get it going?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I understand with CVT fuel economy will vary with driving mode. This seems not to be the case with 6mt which is what I have and that's been my experience. For that reason I keep it in FUN (i.e. sport) mode all the time and as you can tell below the gas mileage ain't too shabby.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have had my CR-Z for a week and a half now. I love this car more and more everyday! I have not had this much enjoyment driving a car in a long, long time- I am talking years. I do wish the sun glass compartment door would stay open though.

Anyone else get in this rut or vise versa? I guess I have to hit SPORT more often.:thumbsup:
yea i used to get in that rut all the time haha. i keep it in normal 90% of the time and when i change it to ECON, it's almost too easy to drive stick since the throttle response isn't as sensitive. but whenever i switched it to SPORT when i first got the car, i felt like an idiot over-revving coming from a stop haha. it seems as if the clutch catches higher in sport too, or maybe it's just my imagination

the modes change the response on the gas pedal so in a sense you can't press it the same amount while shifting in every mode. That's why people get the Rev Hang in sport.
yea, im not really feeling that rev hang.. just something i need to get used to

·
Registered
376 Posts
Guys, if you are driving in ECON because of the $, have you don the numbers? @$4/gal, 12500 miles a year, 5MPG difference (40 vs. 35) is $15/mo. Or 50 cents a day to drive in Sport full time. So don't torture yourself if Sport makes you much happier.

In my case ECON keeps me reasonable on the road and keeps me entertained in the quest of a 50MPG tank.

:rolleyes:....I wish my annual mileage was that low. You might have to multiply your calculation by 4. And based on my last 6 tanks of gas, I am averaging 46.3 mpg. Could have average more if was disciplined enough. It's a little over 8 months since owning this vehicle and I already bank over $1200; comparing to my previous vehicle which was 2008 Honda Accord EX. This figure include spirited driving for the first 4-5k in SPORT mode. :thumbsup: Not that I am complaining.

But using your figure; I project yearly saving of $180. Hey, that's enough to take your lady out for a great night on the town and that will put a smile on your face for the next 12 months (give or take). In a sense, she'll be looking forward to next year special treatment with the man who rock her world!!! Hypothetically speaking...that would be Priceless. :pP: Planning and dreaming is more exciting than driving aggressively on the highway. MHO. That was just an example, but you could use your saving for something else. The old saying "A penny save is a penny earned!"

I think I did not communicate myself clearly. I did not say SPORT mode make me happier....all mode are satisfying. SPORT mode is exhilarating due to responsiveness. Happiness is a state of mind. And my happiness is translating into green leading to potential happiness with my lady!!! ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts

I haven't experience over revving my RPM over 4k to get my vehicle starting no matter the traffic condition. But if that is happening to you on a consistent level...my recommendation is to put it in SPORT mode from standing start position and switch back to ECON mode once you get your vehicle rolling adequately. Switch back and forth between differing mode takes less than a second. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Dio, 50K/year? That's almost 4 hours a day in the car with 50mph average speed. Nuts.

I was going off an average of ~12K/yr which is reasonable for a 30-mile round trip commute and was trying to point out that people sometimes make unnecessary sacrifices without looking at the actual $ figures, like buying a hybrid version of a normal car and not thinking that the price difference will never be justified by gas savings.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I haven't experience over revving my RPM over 4k to get my vehicle starting no matter the traffic condition. But if that is happening to you on a consistent level...my recommendation is to put it in SPORT mode from standing start position and switch back to ECON mode once you get your vehicle rolling adequately. Switch back and forth between differing mode takes less than a second. My 2 cents.
i think he meant that because there's such a big difference in throttle response between sport and econ, he does the occasional 4k over-rev when in sport because its so sensitive?

either that or he's coming off the stop light in 6th gear lol

·
Registered
376 Posts
Dio, 50K/year? That's almost 4 hours a day in the car with 50mph average speed. Nuts.

I was going off an average of ~12K/yr which is reasonable for a 30-mile round trip commute and was trying to point out that people sometimes make unnecessary sacrifices without looking at the actual $ figures, like buying a hybrid version of a normal car and not thinking that the price difference will never be justified by gas savings.
Understand. I made that calculation too to warrant a hybrid over conventional. But bought this base mostly on look. Always wanted a CRX but could not afford it when in college and did not want to buy used. This car is the closest to a CRX. Safe to say, IMHO, this vehicle is better than the CRX with all safety features and tech included. Some member would disagree but again this is MHO. Hybrid feature of this vehicle is a bonus.

Yes, I drive a lot but lately been taking it easy getting some R&R. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

I am with Dio. I average anywhere between 24K and 27K a year depending on work load + living in CA with its gas prices, every drop/ dime counts. If I lived closer to home or worked in town then things would be different!:thumbsup:

:rolleyes:....I wish my annual mileage was that low. You might have to multiply your calculation by 4. And based on my last 6 tanks of gas, I am averaging 46.3 mpg. Could have average more if was disciplined enough. It's a little over 8 months since owning this vehicle and I already bank over $1200; comparing to my previous vehicle which was 2008 Honda Accord EX. This figure include spirited driving for the first 4-5k in SPORT mode. :thumbsup: Not that I am complaining.

But using your figure; I project yearly saving of $180. Hey, that's enough to take your lady out for a great night on the town and that will put a smile on your face for the next 12 months (give or take). In a sense, she'll be looking forward to next year special treatment with the man who rock her world!!! Hypothetically speaking...that would be Priceless. :pP: Planning and dreaming is more exciting than driving aggressively on the highway. MHO. That was just an example, but you could use your saving for something else. The old saying "A penny save is a penny earned!"

I think I did not communicate myself clearly. I did not say SPORT mode make me happier....all mode are satisfying. SPORT mode is exhilarating due to responsiveness. Happiness is a state of mind. And my happiness is translating into green leading to potential happiness with my lady!!! ;)
:yeahthat::hi5:. As long as she is happy I am happy! Went from paying $350 dollars (with the truck) a month on gas to $125. That is some good times and being able to do more with the kids.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.