Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the entire forum for XM and it found not 1 post. I find that highly unlikely, but what can you do?
So I got a NSBP EX CVT non-Navi and had the dealer add the XM option. Well, I assumed that they would use the fin antenna because that's what is used when you get satellite with the navi system. Well, I've had Sirius for about 7 years now so I am not new to the technology. I realize that the XM and Sirius birds are in different parts of the sky, but I started getting drop outs in unusual places including open highways. It was about a week into ownership, that I realize they installed the XM antenna on the inside top right passenger side of the windshield??? REALLY?? No wonder I am having reception issues. Satellite radio frequencies are so high that its a line of sight type of signal unless you live in a metro area where they use some terrestrial FM tower transmissions. I have a call in to get this corrected.

Anyone else get this option? If so where did they mount your antenna?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I searched the entire forum for XM and it found not 1 post.
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/interior-ice-discussion/2767-sirius.html
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/interior-ice-discussion/4507-xm-radio.html
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/3083-honda-xm-install.html
Honda CRZ Forum: Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums - Search Results

Yup, not a single thread.

Anyone else get this option? If so where did they mount your antenna?
On the windshield.

FYI- the navigation system is not satellite based, it is DVD based. The shark antenna is simply for the radio.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That is where they mount the XM antenna. I bought a third party XM radio, installed in back in the lower console behind the two cup holders, mounted the antenna on the roof, right behind the shark fin antenna.
How much do you have in your install? I want XM radio too, but am not ready to spring for official Honda option. Do you have an pics?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I used the iSimple ipod and sirius integrated stereo kit for 199 from tss radio. Not only do I have sirius (transferred a lifetime subscription), but I can charge and play my iphone too.

I told them I threw away my old receiver in the other car that I transferred the lifetime subscription from, and they never turned it off! two months later its still working.

·
Registered
46 Posts
They installed mine in the same location - I was a bit disappointed as well! My question is what is in the shark fin antenna - is it the GPS antenna for Nav, and the radio antenna? I would like to install a rear view camera there and replace the rear view mirror, but dont want to go cutting into the thing until I know what is inside it! Anyone have any idea on the internals of the shark fin antenna?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The maps are DVD based, but there has to be a GPS antenna in the car so the Nav systems knows the position of the vehicle on the map. The DVD is simply used for data storage. I have read in another thread on this forums that the GPS antenna is actually under the dash in the CRZ. Either way, it looks like there is room in the shark fin to put a small keyhole type camera, so I am on my way to making that Mod. . .

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just got Sirius up in the ride. I went with the Starmate 5 installed on the left side of the driver on top on the dash. I enjoy the location. Currently i have to running through the front AUX point but I am waiting on the newest FM adapters for Honda. Once i receive those I will be lining it into the fm antenna on the back of the receiver so I dont have to waste the front aux.

From my research I found that the sound quality is better going through the FM antenna direct in the back of the receiver rather than using the AUX. Plus I want to use the front aux for my tablet.

Hope that helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.