Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just filled up my CR-Z gas tank for the second time since my last oil change and OEM engine air filter replacement with the Spoon filter purchased from Go Tuning.

Previously, I averaged 38 MPG with mostly highway driving over my daily 50 mile drive each way to/from work (6 spd manual tranny). With the Spoon air filter my mileage has increased to 41.5 MPG over the same route with the same driving habits; this may not seem like much to some, but for me this is a BIG difference.

Engine sounds the same, performance seems the same, but MPG is significantly improved... Thanks!

Go Tuning Unlimited - Spoon Filter

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Gizmo, glad you gained 3.5 mpg but $50.00 for a filter than you have to throw away after about 10k, when for about $15.00 less you can buy a K&N that lasts a lifetime:blink: Not sure what my mpg gain was or wasn't with the K&N drop-in that I've got in my car as I put it in very early in my ownership but I've been a fan of K&N for many years. Keep us posted on how long that thing really does last, its good for others to have options for sure. BTW, the change in mileage could be gas, temp, humidity, etc, even if your driving the same way the weather/gas may not be.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Understand that many variables contribute to MPG, and I agree that the K&N is better long-term value with known (i.e., proven) performance results. I just thought I would try the Spoon filter out since I was on the GoTuning web site ordering other stuff (by the way, I am from SoCal and had my order delivered the NEXT day... :thumbsup: to GoTuning).

I've had 4 tanks of gas with the new Spoon filter and the modest little increase in MPG is still there. I am a happy customer, and my CR-Z is happy too.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The Spoon filter seems to give slightly better throttle response, but I've not noticed any performance gains. It's just a drop-in filter though, so I didn't expect much. I just got the Spoon filter as I am still undecided on whether to go boost or NA. A good temporary mod I would say :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
boost varg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK - just thought I would provide a follow-up post now that my CR-Z has used 6 tanks of gas with the new Spoon air filter. Based on my butt dyno there doesn't appear to be a significant increase in throttle response. Of course the drop in filter also does not deliver a sweet sound like you get with a K&N CAI at full throttle. On the positive side, over the same 50 mile route to/from work each way - I have gained on average 1.5 miles per gallon; not a lot, but still worth mentioning.

·
Registered
58 Posts
after installing the k&n drop in i noticed a 1.5 mpg drop.... i used to be around 36.5 now i'm more regularly around 35.5

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
after installing the k&n drop in i noticed a 1.5 mpg drop.... i used to be around 36.5 now i'm more regularly around 35.5
Check your tire pressure, check the weather and maybe check the fuel your running, I've had mine in for over 8k and my mileage has never dropped, infact, since Dec my average fuel economy is still showing 40.3 average, that was almost 3 monthes ago, pretty good IMO.

BTW, I've got a K&N typhoon waiting to be installed, so if anyone is looking for a slightly used K&N drop-in, drop me a PM:cool:

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
No drop in MPG in mine. Except when I put it to use and have a little fun. Normal driving about the same.

·
BANNED
3,501 Posts
My typical experience with drop in's on small vehicles are just throttle response gains. On larger vehicles you can see a small HP/TQ gain but on those it not really noticeable. Good to know the small MPG bump on the Spoon though!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I put the k&n pretty much as soon as I got the car so who knows it might be the car breaking in or me just pushing it pretty hard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts