Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone :thumbsup:

I have an 06 A6 Audi 35k miles on it, mint condition aside from a rock chip, no major dents interior spotlessly mint. Would be possible to do a trade in for a CRZ (base, not worrying about options)?

· Registered
887 Posts
if its in perfect shape you could get 16-17k for that car. Look it up on Edmunds or KBB to see the value.. That's what the dealer will give u for it.

And the dealers aren't making deals on the cr-z's yet. You'll probably pay close to msrp.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea went today they wanted to give me 17k and then pay them close to 7 grand ontop of it for the EX, and 4 grand for the base. I'll try another dealer as I personally dont think that is really worth giving in my Audi and on top of that owe 7 grand.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
well first ask yourself if the base CR-Z is what you want... personally, the EX is only an extra $1,500 and it adds wayyyy more features than that price can really cover... to give u an idea what the EX adds:

leather wrapped steering wheel
aluminum/leather wrapped shift knob (6MT)
aluminum pedals
HID headlamps
Fog Lights
Bluetooth
Ambient Interior Lighting
Navigation (optional $1800)

and off the top of my head i can't remember if it's anything else... but to me most of those things should be standard on a car, especially if you're going for the 6MT model!!

the base 6MT is around $20K and the EX CVT MSRP is around $22k (subtract $650 for the 6MT)... so if they give you $17k for ur A6, you're still gonna pay anywhere from $3k-$5k for a CR-Z and that's not including tax, title etc...

sn: back around the end of 2006 my mom bought an '05 A6 and owned it for less than a day b4 returning it for an '05 TL... i probably had a bit of influencing on that one lol... but she was super happy with the TL and her (my) choice...

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know man, I really want one of these, but I really don't want to give my car up and still owe money for an entry esque-level honda. I realized how much smoother my drive is though as soon as I hopped back into my car after 20 minutes in the crz. However I am looking for something more sporty and as soon as I gassed it, the car knocked me back into my seat a little I was surprised to say the very least. It is a blast to drive.

· Registered
693 Posts
Yea went today they wanted to give me 17k and then pay them close to 7 grand ontop of it for the EX, and 4 grand for the base. I'll try another dealer as I personally dont think that is really worth giving in my Audi and on top of that owe 7 grand.
Try not to take this as any kind of an insult or judgement, I am sure that your Audi is an absolutly beautiful car, but also think that the $17k that they offered in trade for your A6 is probably about right. If the car is absolutely perfect and you make the effort, you can probably get $19,000 to $20,000 on a private sale, but if you want the short cut to your new car via trade in, the dealer will expect to get the car for a price that allows him to make at least a 15% profit. So I doubt you will find a dealer offering you much more thn $17k to $17.5k. Dealers use the books and the averages to make trade in offers on cars, and they don't often give much more than low trade value for a car even when it might be in truly exceptional condition.

My Honda dealer only offered me only $12k for my 2006 MINI Cooper convertible (that had a low trade value of $12,800) and was in the same exceptional condition and low miles you described for your car. I got $3500 more in a private sale, but it took quite a bit more effort than just trading it in would have.

Many times people think they got a good trade value for a car when they trade it against list price, but few cars truly sell at full list price except limited production or high demand cars. The CRZ is new to the market and in relatively short supply, so the dealer is not likely to give you an over-allowance for your trade.

Take some good pictures and put your Audi on craigslist and see what you can get in a private sale is my advice.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and remember that whatever they give you on your trade is that much less that you pay taxes on the CR-Z...
I dont get what you mean here. I do realize that its good, but I'm driving a mid-range Audi and to give that up for a low-entry Honda even though its new doesn't really make sense in my head. They didn't even want to step the price down a little for the CRZ. If they offered it to me for 20.5k with my trade in, I probably would have taken it.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
let's say you have a $20k CR-Z... if you sell the A6 privately for $17k then put that down on the CR-Z you will still pay taxes on the $20k price tag and at 7% (not exactly sure what the % is for you) that's an extra $1,400 so that CR-Z becomes $21,400-$17,000=$4,400 you still owe... whereas if you trade in the A6 and get $17k for it you will only pay taxes on the remaining $3k for the CR-Z and @ 7% that's $210+$3,000=$3,210 you owe...

$17k trade-in you owe $3,210
$17k private sale you owe $4,400

these numbers aren't perfect there are a few other things to take into account and of course the $17k is just a base estimate as is the $20k (CR-Z price)...

the question you really have to ask yourself is, "Do i really want a CR-Z?" weigh the advantages of keeping your A6 with the advantages of getting rid of it and getting the CR-Z... see which one makes more sense for you and do what you feel is in your best interest...

personally, i'm a little biased... Audi is entirely too luxury for me and not nearly enough sport... my friend has an '09 A6-S and even that isn't sporty enough for me... so the choice for me would be to simply get rid of the A6 and get the CR-Z...

hope that helps :wavey:

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah are you sure thats how the taxes work in NJ? Meaning I only pay tax on the difference of the CRZ price - my trade in value. I agree with you, the car isn't sporty..at all. Well if I put it into sport and punch it it does roar and it is out quick.

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
to my knowledge that's how sales tax works on new car sales everywhere... we have a few sales ppl on this site, maybe one of them can chime in... actually member
s2legend
is in the NE area and can probably help you out with this... i'll link him to this thread...

and there's a saying "i'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow." i love that saying when comparing the CR-Z to other "faster" cars...

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
some of my friends would consider it a "downgrade" they drive things like M3, M6, GT-R, E-coupe, A6-S, iS-F, etc... they make fun of me (in good fun) when i talk about getting an Acura TL... what do u think they say about me wanting to get a CR-Z??

honestly if YOU like it, get it... screw what everyone else says... i'll let them keep their $1k+ payments and i'll invest the extra $700/month into something that has a good ROI (return on investment)...

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha I'm in the same boat as you there man. Idk its just honda is such a "regular" car, but the drive on the crz greatly reminded me of how my 328 handled when I had it. (Had to sell it back as I got it in an auction, green light everything then found something weird in the paint pattern in some spots, brought it to the BMW dealer and he told me it was in an accident and it was fixed at a regular shop so it wasn't reported, nor was it fixed the right way. I was greatly pissed, but the BMW guy took good care of me, fixed a lot of things like the gas-tank saying its full but on my dash only showing 1/2 way full all for free and didn't report the accident happening so I could get rid of it with ease, which is how I got the A6 lol).

· Premium Member
5,332 Posts
ppl are sleeping... i like good tech and reliability... my friends '11 M3 convertible, while a very nice car... literally wouldn't start for no apparent reason 5 days after owning it... had to have it towed to BMW where it stayed for a few days while the tech fixed it... funny thing is, they NEVER figured out what it was that caused it to not start... my friend in her '10 E350 Coupe has to take it to the dealer for some recall, not to mention other minor issues she's had...

i'm also biased towards Honda, i love the direction they are going and the path they are paving for every other automaker to SOON follow...

like i said b4, if you get excited when you drive the car or think about driving it, then that's what you should buy...

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your definitely right man I want to go test drive it again just so I can drive it lol. I can definitely fork out less then 200 a month for 32 months.I'm just afraid as I get bored easily if want a new car before I'm finished with the payments

· Registered
159 Posts
Your definitely right man I want to go test drive it again just so I can drive it lol. I can definitely fork out less then 200 a month for 32 months.I'm just afraid as I get bored easily if want a new car before I'm finished with the payments
If you get bored with it, trade again. Have the car you want. That's worth quite a bit in peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.