Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do anything useful the CR-Z doesn't already do? I just ordered one for my Civic Si since my fiance purchased a CR-Z I am starting to get into this whole hypermiling thing (at least mildy nothing hardcore like drafting behind trucks on the beltway lol)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'll take a picture of where I put mine, I'm pretty happy with it. Cable is still exposed but mostly hidden (coiled up in the USB cable compartment). Only problem is it blocks the one cupholder if you have tall drinks.

I use this to check engine temp and to have a numerical MPG readout. Also shows me what the throttle position is (interesting while in cruise).

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
So this is just a more in depth way of monitering your MPG?
MPG, air intake temp, throttle position, engine codes - almost anything that can be read from the OBDII port can be seen on the scanguage
Everything northbridge mentioned is used by serious hyper-milers. The car's computer may give you instant feedback on fuel economy with the little bar graph but the scangauge will give real instant #'s. If your serious about saving fuel a scangauge can better track your MPG's.

Unless the scangauge has changed since when I had it a couple years ago you can display up to 4 running info selections at once. When I used it with the Civic Hybrid watching the ignition timing was key for better highway MPG's.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I made my own scan gauge using a microprocessor, some programming skills in C and a basic 16x2 LCD to display the readings. Works great in my mom's 2010 toyota rav4, dad's 2011 subaru impreza and my cousins 2007 saab. It will not get any readings from the CRZ, wonder what the issue is.

I read somewhere that CRZ uses their own version of CAN Bus, makes no sense how scan gauge works and my unit doesn't...

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Tog got a similar app for his android phone and already plugged in a Kiwi type module. I havent looked but the port is likely where it is in other Hondas: drivers side down by where the hood latch is kinda under the steering column.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The obd port is directly above the gas pedal on a small aluminum bracket... I've successfully gotten the Chinese ebay usb ELM scanner to work with ScanXL pro software, but I still cannot manage to get any readings using the device I made. It works on every ob2 car I've tried it on 2007 and up. Not the CRZ for some reason...

Here's a video of it working in my mom's toyota rav4
YouTube - ARisob2-1

it shows rpms, coolant temp, speed and engine load in this particular video...

If I get that to work on the CRZ, I can sell these for what I make them for to anyone interested. GPS module and data logging on sd card is functional as well. LCDs come white on blue color as well to match the OEM stereo in the CRZ and a few other color combos as well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.