Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to swap an motor from a front wheel drive car into a crz. but i dont have a crz yet. would it matter if i get an automatic or manual if im taking out the transmission anyways? i not familiar with the crz different transmissions and what role they play with something like this.
it will be a nissan leaf motor btw. i plan to use nissan leaf single speed gear reduction transmission as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
As far as your question goes no as you are removing the original anyway. A CR-Z is already front wheel drive it is also an Internal combustion engine car with an electrical system to extend range(IMA). I hope you have good skills , have a plan and a big budget. Just doing the engine transmission change will require a lot of fabrication and knowledge. These are two very different cars with different concepts. Some here have changed from the CR-Z engine to a K series engine and ditched all the IMA system. Over the years there have been a few members who proposed adding electric motors to the rear axle and all kinds of other things. Not one was ever completed. There have also been a few CVT to MT transmission swaps and one MT to CVT. Anything can be done with enough knowledge, skills and money.

What is your Idea other than an off road hatchback based, on your other posting?

Biggest issue is how much of the Leaf are you going to put into the CR-Z and how will you make it all work together?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I hope it makes you happy.

·
Registered
831 Posts
So you are going all electric. OK. It's big project, good luck. (y)

You should be able to put all the necessary parts from a Leaf into the CR-Z chassis but the CR-Z dash will be lit up like a xmas tree unless you are also replacing that.
Stuff like the VSA, ABS and other things that rely on CAN comms with the OEM ECM and gauge cluster might not work properly/at all.

Fabricating the necessary mechanical mounting/interface for the leaf motor/drive to the cr-z driveshafts will be a challenge.
Please post detailed pics and progress reports and we will offer advice where possible.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
if I was in your shoes, I'd get a CVT model just due to them being a little cheaper and more plentiful in the states.

Also, the nissan leaf only had 2 pedals - no sense having a spare pedal that you'll have to get rid of or have in the way, lol.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If I were you I'd skip the Nissan Leaf and go for an LS swap. It would probably be easier and much faster.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
But this poster wants to go all electric, the LS is ICE. The complete opposite of what he was looking for. LS is the popular GM engine that is used for all kinds of swaps. It is a well known 8 cylinder engine. Isn't the K-swap the usual engine that people put into a CR-Z? Yes, it is only 4 cylinders but probably fits and integrates better than an LS would, if he was even interested.

If I were you I'd skip the Nissan Leaf and go for an LS swap. It would probably be easier and much faster.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The dash is not the end of the world but it will require a deep dive into CAN bus. Where are you located? I would be interested in lending a hand on CAN bus stuff if you are serious and semi local. Ideally you would have a complete and functional Leaf as a donor for your transplant.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dash is not the end of the world but it will require a deep dive into CAN bus. Where are you located? I would be interested in lending a hand on CAN bus stuff if you are serious and semi local. Ideally you would have a complete and functional Leaf as a donor for your transplant.
I am in Wisconsin United States
I think I will just go manual now that I think about it just for the stock crz gearing I would be able to accelerate faster. Yes if I can not get dash to work I will rip it out 😭😭😭 . I think I might use a leaf pack who know though I’m really against getting a 24kwh one because of their degradation but the 30+ ones are hard to come buy. Looking to just get whatever’s 100miles plus and the cheapest. Will use leaf inverter and motor though for sure with an openinverter board. I just got a crz just has to ship so I’ll let you and this forum know when I get down to it thank you

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
You will not be using the CR-Z transmission at all and Manual CR-Zs here in the US are harder to come by.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts