Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2015 Honda CR-Z
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, so I've got about 92k miles on my Z, and probably 40-50k of those were driven in sport mode with the paddles engaged. While that probably wasn't the smartest idea, as that combined with my aggressive driving style might have very well led to the death of my transmission, (the dealer that replaced it under warranty doesn't have to know that) I have recently been spending more time focusing on mileage and not killing the car's life span. Recently, I've noticed the left paddle doesn't always register when I press it right away. At first I'd have to press it a second time but now sometimes its 2 or 3 times. It doesn't happen super often, but it would make sense that it is more worn, I do LOVE downshifting with a flick of the throttle for some nice sound. You would be surprised what kind of sounds and pops the car makes with only a cat back straight pipe! I have no issues with the right paddle, but I was wondering if anyone has had these issues or anything similar in the past? I'm not super handy with this stuff, so any info can help!

· This space deliberately left blank
2,516 Posts
Sounds like you've got it figured out - worn out switch. You also are most likely correct that you killed your first trans by driving in sport with the paddle shifters.

The paddles are a bit tricky to replace - the airbag needs to come out, and I think the steering wheel needs to come off as well, but I'm not certain... I've only ever changed them out on a steering wheel that was out of the car already.

One thing I would warn you about using the paddles, make sure that you're not making the transmission load change drastically. Basically make sure that you're already decelerating before you down shift., and make sure you stay in the throttle with you upshift. alternatively, solidly maintain vehicle speed and throttle before shifting either up or down.

"Downshifting with a flick of the throttle" may sound cool, but will put a shock load on that main drive belt as the engine spins up relative to vehicle speed, and then braking load applies to the trans.

· Registered
2015 Honda CR-Z
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you've got it figured out - worn out switch. You also are most likely correct that you killed your first trans by driving in sport with the paddle shifters.

The paddles are a bit tricky to replace - the airbag needs to come out, and I think the steering wheel needs to come off as well, but I'm not certain... I've only ever changed them out on a steering wheel that was out of the car already.

One thing I would warn you about using the paddles, make sure that you're not making the transmission load change drastically. Basically make sure that you're already decelerating before you down shift., and make sure you stay in the throttle with you upshift. alternatively, solidly maintain vehicle speed and throttle before shifting either up or down.

"Downshifting with a flick of the throttle" may sound cool, but will put a shock load on that main drive belt as the engine spins up relative to vehicle speed, and then braking load applies to the trans.
Interesting, that sounds about right though lol. I've been driving it much better as of late, but I definitely had my fun while it lasted. Thanks for the tips, I figured the simulated gears would have some weird affects on the car if not used properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts