Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem to be a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway. Are the wipers on the Zed proprietary? Are you meant to just replace the wiper rubber or the whole assembly?

The passenger side wiper is missing the end cap and I think someone stuck the wrong length rubber wiper part on it. Are the top and bottom retaining clips a standard Honda part? We've been getting storms showing up out of nowhere lately and I'd hate to have the rubber blade come off and the arm scratch the windscreen.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CR-Z EX CVT
141 Posts
No such thing as a stupid question. If they still have the original wipers you can just swap out the rubber. It's way cheaper to do it that way compared to swapping the entire wiper out each time. Nonetheless most people I've seen do precisely that.

I can take some up close pics of my OE wipers when i get home for you to compare. New OEM blades (metal bit) are only like $16 USD last i checked.

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers mate! My wipers have a plastic end clip on them but the passenger side bottom one is missing. I have no idea if they're factory ones or not.

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can do tomorrow. It's dark here now.I was going to call the local Honda dealer parts department tomorrow to ask about the blades. I also need to ask them about an extra key.

·
Registered
Liverpool red CR-Z ex
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm. I must have after market blades as they definitely have plastic end clips on the blades. I guess I have to pop to the local auto store.

I'll call my usual locksmith to see if they can programme a key.

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-Z w/ HPD supercharger
406 Posts
No such thing as a stupid question. If they still have the original wipers you can just swap out the rubber. It's way cheaper to do it that way compared to swapping the entire wiper out each time. Nonetheless most people I've seen do precisely that.

I can take some up close pics of my OE wipers when i get home for you to compare. New OEM blades (metal bit) are only like $16 USD last i checked.
I'll throw my hat in the ring on this.
Yes the rubber blade can be exchanged but they typically don't work well at all leaving streaks everywhere. I did this once and ended up replacing the whole blade instead.
As far as OEM blades go you might actually have to order them a few days in advance. None of the dealers I've been to have ever had them in stock and they had to come from California, even the parts guy I knew said I was the only person he has ever sold CR-Z wiper blades to.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Unless you are truly stuck on wanting OEM wipers, you can literally walk into just about any store that sells wiper blades and within 5 minutes have 3 new ones ready to put on your car, although Sometimes that rear blade can be a little tricky to find.

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
I upgraded my rear to be the same length as the shorter front one. I order all three blades and the 2 air filters yearly from Amazon or Rock Auto and I got the beam type blades, they seem to work well and streak less. Likewise, I also very frequently clean the blades with Invisible glass.

These are the ones I usually order from Amazon 1 of the 26" and 2 of the 21"s
on the same order, I also order the filters

But I do sometimes order the same items from RockAuto

It is my annual maintenance before my inspection.

·
Don't abuse the report button
2,411 Posts
My two cents: the OEM blades do better at cleaning the glass than any of the aftermarket standard fit ones that I've tried (Michelin, Bosch, and trico) and they last longer

As for availability, I've never had issues picking them up at the dealer. The crz uses pretty standard sizes (my MDX uses the same blades) except for the rear.

I also bought a sidesaddle wiper mount so I could put a passenger side wiper on the rear. Clears a much bigger path.

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
Some hardware stores can also now program. You can also order the key from one of those key Kiosks in some stores like Walmart and Home Depot, then just have a locksmith or other place program the key to the car. I even see signs in some car audio places that state they can program keys too. I see mobile providers of key services trucks all the time. Many more options now that do not include a dealer. I paid over $200 for a key replacement for mine at a dealer when I lost one.

Hmmm. I must have after market blades as they definitely have plastic end clips on the blades. I guess I have to pop to the local auto store.

I'll call my usual locksmith to see if they can programme a key.

·
Premium Member
8,643 Posts
I was able to use the same beam type blade I use on the front on the back(with no change of anything), and it works fine on my 2013. Standard blades I might agree with you, but beam type was an upgrade, they have better and even pressure across the whole blade. The OEM blades I never considered due to cost and how OEM may be private branded someone else's. Wiper blades are cheap enough to order online annually with the air filters. It is easy to do. Like I said also cleaning the blades with a good glass cleaner also makes them work better.

My two cents: the OEM blades do better at cleaning the glass than any of the aftermarket standard fit ones that I've tried (Michelin, Bosch, and trico) and they last longer

As for availability, I've never had issues picking them up at the dealer. The crz uses pretty standard sizes (my MDX uses the same blades) except for the rear.

I also bought a sidesaddle wiper mount so I could put a passenger side wiper on the rear. Clears a much bigger path.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts