Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

New here, and seriously looking at purchasing a CR-Z, but because of my location, I would have to store it for about five months of the year because of snow (I live 10 minutes from where cars were stranded on a highway for over 24 hours this winter!!!).

I know it is early days for this model, but is there any advice for storing this vehicle, so that I would not have to replace the battery, or have the electric motor removed and baked, every spring?

Judging by the comments on other threads, it sounds like very few of you would WANT to put yours away for long, but I will HAVE to. If anyone has experience with this or other electric assist Honda's, glad to hear from you on this too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
886 Posts
(I live 10 minutes from where cars were stranded on a highway for over 24 hours this winter!!!).
Downtown Chicago? :D

--Everything I've read about the hybrid system batteries say it's bad to let them go for over a month... If you think you can get out and drain/re-charge every month you might be ok.. Do more research though.. I don't now for sure.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah I think I saw that in my owner's manual, that you shouldn't let the car sit for more than a month at a time otherwise you risk the battery pack going bad.

Maybe just stretch the springs a bit for more clearance, get tire chains and screw some HID's to the roof, mount a ATV plow on the front and give er hell!

Or, if you have close family living in a warmer climate do some seasonal vehicle swapping. Can't say I know to many families with that kind of trust going on though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
208 Posts
There are some people who will install a grid charger for you (and void the battery warranty). It seems that this is useful to keep the cells in the battery all at similar state-of-charge, and pretty much essential if you leave the car un-used even for a couple of weeks at a time.
The grid charger can safely charge at 350mA even when some cells are full. The excess energy is dissipated as heat whilst the other cells top up to full charge. A 150V dc 350mA charger is a fairly scary item though.

I doubt that a once a month top-up drive will be adequate. Once a week might work.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
you're kidding right? that stretch of highway (what was it again... 401? 402?...) i live NORTH from it and I'm driving the car in the winter...

what's wrong with driving the car during the winter?

frekin Toronto people freak out when they see snow... they even make fun of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZcwnO794k

only reason to store your car over winter would be to keep it mint for 20+years

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you're kidding right? that stretch of highway (what was it again... 401? 402?...) i live NORTH from it and I'm driving the car in the winter...

YouTube - Rick Mercer Report : Special Report

Nope, not Toronto. 402 near Strathroy, and we didn't call out the army to clear snow once this year!!!

Well, my truck is a Chevy Avalanche, 4x4 Z-71, and there have been a dozen times this year when I've had to park her at the end of my 1/4 mile farm laneway and walk in, to get my tractor out and blow out the FOUR FOOT drifts. Plus, a few times that I barely made it through our rural road, and called my wife to tell her not to even try it in her 4x4 Nissan Frontier, but if you think the CR-Z can make it through that, I'll bow to your experience as an owner - LOL. Since we both have to go to work 20 miles away into the city each day, I'm leaning towards the idea of putting a plow on it myself! :pP:

It's just that we get a strong North-West wind in the winter, and half of Lake Huron gets dumped into our county. I was hoping to park a truck and enjoy a sporty gas-miser in the summer, but only have two of our three vehicles on insurance over the summer / winter.

I appreciate everyone's feedback though - love the car, but perhaps it isn't the right car for me. Pity, as it really seems a beaut, judging from what everyone is saying on this site. Thank you all very much for this, and if there are any more helpful comments, I'll keep hoping there is a way to make this work.

Cheers (and happy driving)!

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Tried to post once, but didn't work, so if this shows up twice, sorry!

Nope, not Toronto. Your are right - 402 at Strathroy. When we get a strong North-West winter wind, half of Lake Huron winds up being dumped on our county.

My truck is a Chevy Avalanche, 4x4 Z-71, and at least a half dozen times this winter, I've had to park it at the end of my 1/4 mile farm laneway and walk in to get my tractor to blow out the FOUR FOOT DRIFTS. Add on that a few times I've only just made it down our rural road, and called my wife to not even try in her 4x4 Nissan Frontier. I've driven these roads for decades, but if you think the CR-Z will make it through this, I'll bow to your superior knowledge as an owner - LOL! If we didn't each have to drive 20 miles in opposite directions to get to work everyday, It might be OK. I'm leaning toward the suggestion to put a plow on the car! :pP:

I was hoping to keep the trucks, park one for summer, and enjoy a sporty fuel efficient CR-Z in the summer, but not have more than two vehicles on insurance at a time. Looks like this might not be the car for me after all. More is the pity - especially after the cudo's people have been giving it on this forum.

I appreciate all the feedback - and if anyone has more helpful comments to add, I would love to hear them.

Cheers, and happy spring motoring!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi.

New here, and seriously looking at purchasing a CR-Z, but because of my location, I would have to store it for about five months of the year because of snow (I live 10 minutes from where cars were stranded on a highway for over 24 hours this winter!!!).

I know it is early days for this model, but is there any advice for storing this vehicle, so that I would not have to replace the battery, or have the electric motor removed and baked, every spring?

Judging by the comments on other threads, it sounds like very few of you would WANT to put yours away for long, but I will HAVE to. If anyone has experience with this or other electric assist Honda's, glad to hear from you on this too.

Thanks!
My professional opinion is that if you park it for 5 months out of the year and don't charge it up before use (with a grid charger), then you won't get more than three years out of the battery. Non-use is the number one killer of Honda IMA batteries.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yeah I put away my firebird for the winter months but all I have to do is pull the 12V battery out and store it inside. You can't charge up the IMA battery without modifying it to accept a grid charger which causes warrenty problems, and even if you did install a charger for the health of the pack you would probably want a way to discharge it once a month as well. It would be a mess. You could let it sit and hope for the best but ah, maybe plan on just doing a 2 year lease cuz thats probably about how long the batteries will put up with it, and don't tell the dealer your letting it sit for extended periods.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Are the IMA batteries covered for 8 or more years in Canada, too?
If so, just get it and have fun w/ it, and if you develop a battery problem, have honda fix it. (and like andrewr said, don't mention you let it sit for months at a time)

I often go a week or two w/out driving, and my charge indicator is still full (or wherever it was) when I get back to it.

--Edit--
Also, do the Honda dealers really drive all their stock of hybrids around all winter? I know most of the dealers around here have had the same cr-z's on their lots for 6 months or more.

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are the IMA batteries covered for 8 or more years in Canada, too?
If so, just get it and have fun w/ it, and if you develop a battery problem, have honda fix it. (and like andrewr said, don't mention you let it sit for months at a time)

I often go a week or two w/out driving, and my charge indicator is still full (or wherever it was) when I get back to it.

Also, do the Honda dealers really drive all their stock of hybrids around all winter? I know most of the dealers around here have had the same cr-z's on their lots for 6 months or more.
Wicked1 - you ARE true to your name (and I LIKE it!). I liked Andrewr's idea too.
Yes, the battery and IMA system seem to have an 8 year warranty up here as well (but that's Canadian years)! I have not read the fine print on that, so I don't know if it is pro-rated on the battery. Plus, there might be the bi-annual tow to the dealership in the spring (do you think they might catch on after three repeats?). LOL!

Good to know about your indicator light experience, and good point about the dealerships (and who knows how long that one in the back corner of Honda USA's lot has been sitting there), but that just means someone is going to buy a potential lemon. We've all had power tool batteries give up on us, and I would be doing this every year, not just one winter. Back to your deliciously evil plan.

Hybridrepair, your posts show you to be very technically competent - thank you for your advice. Would that charger have to be attached all winter (like you do a trickle charger on a lawnmower battery), or just before use in the spring? And is such a device available for this battery, or does one have to MacGyver one up specially?

Thank you everyone for your comments and ideas. Definitely glad I asked your help. Still hope I can find a way to make this work, because I LIKE this little car, and really WANT one.

Cheers to you all.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
here's the Honda Canada basic warranty that anyone gets:

Power Train
5 years / 100,000km

Distributor's Warranty
3 years / 60,000km

Emission Systems
3 years / 60,000km

Accessories
3 years / 60,000km

Rust Perforation
5 years / No Distance Limit

Surface Corrosion
3 years / No Distance Limit

Emission Systems
8 years / 130,000km Includes: Three way catalytic converted engine control module (ECM), on board diagnostic connector and engine check light.

Roadside Assistance
Vehicles from 2005 onwards come with 3 years Roadside Assistance.

Battery
100% - 2 years with no distance limit.
50% - 3rd year with no distance limit excluding labour.

Integrated Motor Asist System
8 years / 160,000km

Audio Components
3 years / 60,000km

unsure if the IMA Battery falls under the "Battery" section or the "IMA" section.

·
Registered
320 Posts
(but that's Canadian years)
:lol:

Don't worry it won't need a tow, the brilliant thing about this "soft hybrid" setup is the gas engine is still independent of the IMA system, so as I understand it unless im mistaken the IMA battery can fail completely and the car will still run (little battery under the hood will start it) and you will still be able to drive it somewhat, just without the electric boost and possibly it will try to charge the dead pack so mileage on the trip in wouldnt be good, but, it would still pull itself there without causing harm. It would be good for somebody else to confirm that though because this is just pulling off what I've read elsewhere on the forum.

·
Registered
886 Posts
In the end, I think it would be good for some of these to fail in cold environments.. (glad I'm not the one they'll be failing on :) ) But, they're selling them in cold places, so they should work.
I don't think the consumer needs to worry about battery technology and all that. Consumer just needs to treat it like any other car they've owned and be happy! Then if something goes wrong, it's on Honda and they can learn from it.
So my thought is if you want the car, get it. Don't let your technical knowledge of batteries hold you back.

And yeah, the car will run fine w/out the IMA battery. So if it does die you can still easily get yourself to the dealer to have it replaced.

·
CR-Z Forum Librarian
7,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
here's the Honda Canada basic warranty that anyone gets:
Thanks for the intel - I'll definitely check that out further.
Not sure what the weather is like where you are, but today is one of "those days" here, where I'd park the sports car in favour of my truck. Yuck - why can't spring get here?
Appreciate the advice on the car running on gas alone, at least to get to the dealer for service.

Cheers from the sort-of great, and very white, North.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm also looking into winter storage for my crz and I'm in Winnipeg Manitoba, asked the dealer and apparently there is a switch for that battery to prevent any draining of battery, it's suppose to be under rear tire in trunk, still haven't checked there yet but this is what Honda told me! I still have a few months before i am going to park it

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have two garage queens that are winterized, but admit that this question throws me off a little bit. All I do for my cars is add fuel stabilizer, completely fill the gas tank, inflate the tires to just over max to minimize flat spotting, and hook up a Battery Tender. The Tender should keep your regular battery ready to go, but I don't know about the IMA battery. It seems to me that even if it completely discharges, the gas engine should start and charge the IMA battery up in quick order. This may, however, shorten the battery life, but if you're only doing it once per year, this minimal cycling may not have much of an impact. Looking on a Prius forum, I see there are many that use a Battery Tender, so this should be OK with us as well.

Any reason to not use a Battery Tender?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.