Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does the cold and winter gas effect MPG?
I'm barely getting over 30 mpg now. I'm driving in Econ most of the time, w/ a very light foot. Since my MPG has been so bad, I've been trying harder than ever to go slow, and make very loooong rolling stops. I've dropped my highway speed from ~80 to ~60. I've upped the pressure in my tires (to 38psi when it was still warm a few weeks ago.. so im sure they're lower now, but still above 30).

I keep reading about others still getting close to 40mpg.
what's going on!?!? I swear every other hybrid I see on the road is starting stopping and just plain driving faster than I do.
Urg.. I wish some of you high MPG people lived in STL so you could drive my car as a test....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Maybe some info about what winter is in your part of the world? I'm currently getting 45 MPG(UK) with temperatures in the range -2 to 5 celcius. Thats without trying too hard, but still taking some care.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It was in the 20s (Fahrenheit, so -5C or so) in Atlanta recently and most of my trips are 7.5 miles long. I still squeeze out 42MPG average on my 3rd tank. Econ, but not slowing anyone down off the light. If I do get on the hwy, it's 55-65mph, speed limit.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It hasn't even been super cold yet. We're in the upper 20's F. I guess that's -1 or 2 ish C.

I've always thought I've had issues w/ my battery draining and other IMA type things since I got the car, but don't know for sure. Brought it to the dealer about the battery draining quickly once, he checked for codes from the cars computer and didn't find any, and that was the end of that service. There isn't anything OBVIOUSLY wrong with it.. The dealers here don't sell many hybrids and don't know much about them, so play it by the book. And, apparently my cars computer thinks everything is fine.

Anyone want to brainstorm about what might be the issue, discounting driving habits. I'm confident I'm usually no more aggressive than most hybrid drivers, and lately I've been trying to be as efficient as humanly possible.
on that note, my eco score consistently goes up, so even the car thinks I'm driving properly.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of small hills. Maybe 50' height between the peaks and valleys. Usually gentle inclines (trying to find a good topo map to tell you the grade, but can't). I'll guess about a 1:20 rise.. 5% grade, 3ish degrees. Fairly consistently going up or down.
Hm.. that sounds like nothing, but from what I can tell w/ google earth, that's right (actually a high estimate according to my G.E. measurements). G.E. might be totally wrong, tho.

I've never thought of it as a hilly place. It's no SanFrancisco, and technically in the "plains". But I guess there really are a lot of gentle rolling hills.

(That should have been an easy answer, but took about 1/2 hour of research :D)

-My average drive is around 6 mies, so I guess that's a big minus for the mpg. And I see why the short commute gives me the worst of the cold MPG drop. Hmm..

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wicked1, I would love to help you out but I lived in Southern California. :p

I believed California gas has been switched to winter blend. I am still getting over 40mpg. As a matter of fact I will be filling my tank up tomorrow. Current readout is 44.4mpg with 340 miles. I am currently over 11K on the odometer thus my engine has been broken in a long time ago. Since my engine has been broken in...it has been easier for me to achieve better mpg. I keep my tire inflated at 32psi cold.

Many people on this forum are able to get better mpg than I and can point you in the right direction. But for me, I keep all specification within recommended range; ie, tire pressure, regular unleaded (can't remember exact octane but I think it is 87 or 88). I drive under rolling hills condition quite often. What I do is get up to speed as quickly and safely as I can and lightly removed my lead foot from throttle only to gently pressurize to maintain speed. On going up hill I maintain speed only pressurize throttle when necessary. Going down I will let go of throttle and let gravity do its course only lightly applying throttle if necessary but usually you will gain more momentum without applying throttle (make sure to keep safe distance ahead of you so not to use your brake). Key here is once up to speed let go of throttle only to apply ever so gently to maintain speed. I follow speed limit maybe up to 5 mph over every now and than to keep up with traffics. Don't race to a stop sign but glide to it. :blush:

Good luck!!! :vtec:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Wicked1, I would love to help you out but I lived in Southern California. :p

I am still getting over 40mpg. As a matter of fact I will be filling my tank up tomorrow. Current readout is 44.4mpg with 340 miles. snip...

Many people on this forum are able to get better mpg than I and can point you in the right direction.
I think you are selling your skills and results way too short. According to our mileage polls, there are only 4 other people on this message board exceeding your 44.4 average.

The average for all members is 38.5mpg(US) and the CVT owners are averaging 39.5mpg(US).

I think many of us have more to learn about how to achieve the best fuel economy from this particular breed of hybrid.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think you are selling your skills and results way too short. According to our mileage polls, there are only 4 other people on this message board exceeding your 44.4 average.

The average for all members is 38.5mpg(US) and the CVT owners are averaging 39.5mpg(US).

I think many of us have more to learn about how to achieve the best fuel economy from this particular breed of hybrid.

Thanks TCroly. I was referring to Swat and DGH in particular since they seem to be able to achieve phenomenal numbers. Swat achieved 50mpg for a tank and last I heard DGH best tank was 47mpg. My 44.4mpg dropped to 44.3mpg just now since I'd went to the grocery store. :angry:

I do agree...this vehicle have a learning curve to achieve the best fuel economy. I am slowly but surely getting the hang of it. Hopefully once I get it down and it becomes second nature; I will be saving lots of money and consequently the environment. :rolleyes: Having fun at the same time too.

Wicked1, I have to agree with others; short trips are bad for fuel economy and I am not sure how to remedy it. Maybe go do your errands with the furthest distance first and round trip back hopefully that will warm up your engine negating cold engine effect. But if you just travel to work and back; I say easy on throttle while cold and drive to warm up your engine. I don't idle my car to warm it up, I drive off as soon as I turned on the engine (maybe 5 sec after start up to put on my seat belt). :p

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
I know any trip under about 4 miles would've resulted in low 30s for me - engine warm-up takes its toll.
During the winters here in hilly PACNORWEST.

I do notice a MPG difference.

Scenario = Use the Z to only drive to work 7 miles and back 7 miles. No Highway = 32-34mpg

Warm days 70 degrees+ stays up around 38mpg or so on those short home to work and back trips.

Freeway driving anything over 20 miles = 40+ MPG. Once the engine/batteries warm up no difference between summer and winter.

I usually stay in sport on trips to work and back. I don't really push it hard = pretty easy on the pedal - Just like the responsive feel. Highway in econ and use sport selectively when needed.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Colder air is more dense and thus takes more energy to push through. All else equal your fuel economy will dip as the car has to work harder to push through the dense air.

Combine this with the fact you car will run rich for longer when starting out on your commute and MPG will take a hit. We have daily temps in the teens here now and my tank is down to 37.X MPG as of tonight. This compared to 40.X MPG a week before when we had rain & 50 degree weather.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scenario = Use the Z to only drive to work 7 miles and back 7 miles. No Highway = 32-34mpg
Ok, this is good to know. My day is slightly worse than that for MPG. I drive about 5 miles to an office and stay there a few hours, then drive 3 to 6 miles to a different office, and sit there a couple of hours.. Then maybe do that again a time or two before heading back home. Almost always short trips, and giving the car just enough time to get cold again.
I'll have to take a long drive just to make me feel better about my MPG.
Wait.. that might be counter-productive :D

This is at least the second time you've eased my concerns about the IMA stuff in the car. :) (I'm still mad that 3 bars on the battery meter means no IMA.. seems illogical. That would be my only official complaint about the car)

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
I'll have to take a long drive just to make me feel better about my MPG.
Wait.. that might be counter-productive :D
Yea, know what you mean. I think I may of looked for an excuse to take a longer ride just to get my MPGs back up. :iough:

Usually take a guilt free ride on saturday or sunday which requires a 55 - 60 mile trip somewhere. What makes it guilt free? Seeing all the Ford Extra Duty and equivelent vehicles doing the same thing.

Maybe not so counterproductive. Just getting the best bang for the buck and maybe for the environment while at the same time, getting out and enjoying the ride, scenery and going someplace.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I know any trip under about 4 miles would've resulted in low 30s for me - engine warm-up takes its toll.
Interesting, Ive been getting 30-31 MPG driving in 15 degree weather in the morning and 25 degree weather after work. I only drive 5 Miles each way. This is good to know however my MPG meter stays closer to 50 than 25 most of the time and i would judge based off that that my MPG should be better. (still only 85x) miles on the car though so I need more break in.

During the winters here in hilly PACNORWEST.

I do notice a MPG difference.

Warm days 70 degrees+ stays up around 38mpg or so on those short home to work and back trips.

Freeway driving anything over 20 miles = 40+ MPG. Once the engine/batteries warm up no difference between summer and winter.

I usually stay in sport on trips to work and back. I don't really push it hard = pretty easy on the pedal - Just like the responsive feel. Highway in econ and use sport selectively when needed.
^ I was getting 32 - 34 MPG early on when i got the car but at that point it was only cold enough for a light jacket. I try to go out for a bit of a drive on weekends also and even in the cold, on those longer trips im up around 36 MPG based on the MPG readout if i reset the trip before leaving. My swing isnt as drastic as yours but i've found the same to be true.

·
Registered
675 Posts
So driving style aside, temperature and trip length are a big deal for the CR-Z. It went from 20s into 50s in Atlanta today and my average went back up well above 40MPG. It was almost impossible to hit 40MPG when we were in the teens and low 20s.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,491 Posts
^ maybe we should make a MPG thread that tries to more accurately determine MPG vs Avg daily mileage or temp, although it would be far less precise it would probably show a trend.
Good idea. Was starting to do it, but got bogged down in a title.

"CR-Z MPG verses Temp and Daily Commute Variables" ?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Very glad to see someone else started this thread, as I almost did so myself! It's been pretty steadily cold here in the Baltimore area for the month of December, with temps in the 30s-40s during the day and around 10-15 degrees colder at night-- only one day since the 2nd of the month broke 43 degrees, with the highest overnight low being 37. I've seen a fairly big drop in gas mileage, dropping steadily from the ~37.5 mpg I had been getting. :eek:hmy: Most of my driving is during a 15 mile each way work commute, and with the cold weather the climate control has been on almost perpetually. Afraid what my next Fuelly.com number will be-- probably in the 34 range. Hoping to recover a bit of mpg with a longer trip tomorrow evening.

By the way, if folks really want to track their mpg, Fuelly.com is free, easy and excellent! It gives space for you to keep notes associated with each tank of gas, and makes it easy to keep track of trends. Once you get used to noting your odometer reading on gas receipts it's easy as pie!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.