Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2012 EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son in in the Air Force with varying / weird hours so thought I would ask.
2014 CR-Z and said he noticed this small piece flapping and trying to escape from behind the windshield rubber.
Says it's sort of sticky one side and behind the actual rubber piece behind the metal trim piece.

Common occurrence or mega critical to get it looked at ?

Hood Window Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive tire Sleeve Font T-shirt Event Advertising

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
One of the other members has replaced some of the rubber trim around the windshield. Taking a quick look at 2012 Honda CR-Z 3 Door EX KA 6MT Parts - HondaPartsNow.com

I am not sure which of these 2 parts it might be but know that on my 2013 the more expensive top one on my car is shredding. There has been a whole discussion on the wind noise and it is usually due to the top of the windshield trim falling apart. IMO Fairly common. Good luck figuring it out. Rubber dries out and shreds.
Rectangle Font Circle Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
2012 EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks and I'll try to get more info in the next day or so.
He did say almost looks like a "felt" that was perhaps was on the back of the rubber trim ??
He will look better / further once off duty.

·
Administrator
7,679 Posts
Rubber trim for windshields has a special shape and does eventually shred or split. Might be worth it to talk to a glass shop ( not Safelite) or dealer before it fails and you get moisture or rust . I can't find or remember which member was able to repair his windshield issues.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I actually posted about this a couple years ago in the whistling windshield noise thread. Its not critical in the sense of any leaking, the window sealant is separate and behind that, but it will probably cause annoying whistling in some cross/high wind situations. The thin part seen flapping around there is what degrades and will cause this whistling as its not longer creating a seal from the windshield to the unibody/roof.

The good news for the CR-Z is that the upper windshield trim can be replaced by itself, the windshield does not need to be removed (some cars it does). It's pretty straightforward and covered in the factory service manual. Hardest part is removing the old adhesive from the edge of the windshield but just takes some careful rubbing/peeling.

I have the pictures somewhere I'll reupload.

·
Registered
2012 EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks KY, will look that thread up and study, then pass along to my son.
And keep a lookout for said photos.

Reactions: Spdbump

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can confirm that it is the Molding piece, 73150-SZT-G01.

You need this molding to protect the roof of the car from rock chips.

@OP, is that windshield OEM? I was told by an auto glass shop that some will use generic trims and molding when they reinstall the windshield. Mine was done incorrectly and without that OEM molding.

Here are some pics of the molding piece.
Wood Rectangle Flooring Publication Hardwood

·
Registered
2012 EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YUP, he confirms stock shield. Hard for me to tell from your pic, so guessing is the metal trim and rubber all 1 piece?
I even looked at my 2012 and from what I see is metal trim and then rubber against the roof panel. Same as in my son's photos.

Reactions: Spdbump

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You shouldn't see any metal, it might be rubber overmolded a metal support but I've installed two of these (once to replace the degraded trim and the other for a brand new windshield) and never saw any metal. Adhesive comes pre-attached. The piece that came loose on yours runs the entire length and protrudes from the main molding making ^ shape between the molding and roof.

The thin part in question is at the edge here, see how it comes out from the main trim touches the body and then folds back on itself. It runs the entire length of the molding. That thin part is what separates and that's what causes the issue in Whistling Windshield Noise thread

Brand new trim everything in tact cross-sectional pic:

Different angle:

Old trim with the thin part missing:

Make sure you get all of the old adhesive off the edge of the windshield, this junk:

So that the edge of the glass looks like this:

All new:

·
Registered
2012 EX
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rock on and stellar pics !!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Rock on and stellar pics !!
No worries, I have a few more pics that might help but these were the most pertinent. Have you taken a look at the Factory Service Manual instructions? Its a pretty simple process but you need to pull the windshield side trims as well (they're clips).

Tools:
  • razor blade, ispropyl and paper towels or rags (to remove the old adhesive)
  • plastic trim tool or something thin and non-marring to press the trim in (you wedge it in the gap all along the trim to get it to stick to the edge of the windshield)
  • and some pliers for the side-trim clips (the trim slides off the clips by hand for removal and then you rotate each clip 90º to remove them from the body to reinstall on the trims).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts