Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
In case anybody is curious. Fits, but barely.

Part number:
140-7014
140-7014-R (red calipers)
140-7014-D (drilled/slotted rotors)
140-7014-DR (drilled/slotted rotors with red calipers)

This is really good news. I was looking at the HPD kit but they seem to need the bigger wheels. I am glad I do not let The Speed Bump use the internet or my Credit Card!

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Besides the better looks, should it brake better under normal circumstances?
Only reason I would change the brakes id if they were better than the stock ones!:nerd:

I swear the bigger brakes I put on the front of my last car saved my life multiple times. There is nothing better than a shorter than stock stopping distance!:grin2:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Besides the better looks, should it brake better under normal circumstances?
Under normal (street) circumstances, braking is mainly limited by your tires, a bit by brake pad choice. Larger rotors are for increasing heat capacity and rejection to help prevent fade during repeated, hard braking.

If you want to stop better in normal circumstances, get a set of summer tires from tirerack's max or extreme catagories (and a dedicated winter tire if you live someplace it gets below 45F). Then after that a set of sport brake pads, Hawk HPS or something similar, can help. Do it the other way around and you'll just be activating the ABS a lot, and not really stopping any quicker.

Stock rotors and upgraded pads are good for street, autocross, or about 10-15 minutes of track day shennanigans, in my experience.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
My bigger brakes had higher performance pads included as part of the kit and while I do not agree with you 100% tires are another factor in braking.

Better tires and bigger Brakes will shorten stopping distance even more. It is a matter of surface area between the rotor and pads along with the friction co-efficent of the pad material that makes bigger brakes have a shorter stopping distance than the same car with stock brakes under the same circumstances.

This is based on my personal experience. Your experience may vary depending on your vehicle and driving techniques. I am also not going to talk about slotted, drilled or dimpled rotors.

Under normal (street) circumstances, braking is mainly limited by your tires, a bit by brake pad choice. Larger rotors are for increasing heat capacity and rejection to help prevent fade during repeated, hard braking.

If you want to stop better in normal circumstances, get a set of summer tires from tirerack's max or extreme catagories (and a dedicated winter tire if you live someplace it gets below 45F). Then after that a set of sport brake pads, Hawk HPS or something similar, can help. Do it the other way around and you'll just be activating the ABS a lot, and not really stopping any quicker.

Stock rotors and upgraded pads are good for street, autocross, or about 10-15 minutes of track day shennanigans, in my experience.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts

Just quoting this, to emphasize the TIRE. That's your contact with the road, and no matter what BBK you put on the hubs, the first and most important factor is the contact with the road.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Just quoting this, to emphasize the TIRE. That's your contact with the road, and no matter what BBK you put on the hubs, the first and most important factor is the contact with the road.
Yes Tires are very important but with the same tires bigger brakes will have some affect too but if you have ****ty tires or no tread or other compromised rubber then no matter what brakes you have you will have stopping issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Under normal (street) circumstances, braking is mainly limited by your tires, a bit by brake pad choice. Larger rotors are for increasing heat capacity and rejection to help prevent fade during repeated, hard braking
That's my point, if you are able to activate ABS with standard brakes, bigger brakes alone won't help you without enlarging the friction surface between tire and road.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
I guess we have beat this topic to death and taken it off the original concept. Bigger brakes will shorten stopping distances even when not going to full application so will better tires the two together will improve it even more.

The original topic about this particular kit fitting under stock wheels is very good information because the HPD brakes require the HPD or OEM 17" wheels which means a lot more expense.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts