Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, will you be getting the NAV upgrade on the CR-Z EX model??

Do you think its worth the extra money to get the feature included from the factory or is it better to buy an aftermarket NAV unit these days?

Guesses on how much extra we will be paying for the upgrade? I'm thinking anywhere from $800 - $1200.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The upgrade with Honda is usually around $1800. It is cool to have it built-in because it tells you directions through the front speakers while lowering the volume of music in the rear speakers... But it is not worth the money in my opinion. I vote no on the NAV option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another NO, factory Navs are to expensive and unflexible IMO. Map updates are costly and usually no way to update POIs and/or get traffic radar warnings.

Hooking up a portable navi to the speakers should be doable as well (cascading that with a hands free that is hooked up to the phone and mute inputs on the radio).

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Maybe if it comes with some other options on it besides the Nav unit, like if you can play DVDs or has some good visualization or touch screen for music. If its just the Nav portion I won't get it.

Suspect it will be 1250

·
Registered
122 Posts
GARMIN!

I tried a relative's Magellan, and compared to the Garmin it wasn't any good. Bought my wife a Garmin for her birthday in 2008 and she loves it. It's very easy to use, and isn't bulky like the Magellan was. Also had a Garmin handheld mounted to my motorcycle a few years ago and it was just as good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i'd want the factory nav, but it's usually 1800-2000 extra. although it gives you handsfreelink (bluetooth) and xm too. you'd spend $800-$1000 upgrading to a nice aftermarket nav with half the voice controls. remember, honda navs voice control controls more than just the nav. it does the climate control, radio, nav and usually has the bluetooth option paired with it. it's a nice convenience, but usually outta my price range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
$1,800.00 for factory NAV vice $167.00 for the Garmin 255W with life-time road alert included. It's a no brainer. I have 3 Garmin units, two of which have XM radio capability. The ability to remove the system and carry it with me when I travel all over the country for my work is also a big plus. I put the factory stereo on AUX and I get XM and what ever I am listening to is muted when the Garmin wants to give a direction. The 255W doesn't have XM but it's speaker is adequate if you are listening to your music at a reasonable level. Now take the money you save and buy something practical like a new Prada purse :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yes, factory Nav is the way to go for me. You can beat listening to your music and the Nav tones down to let you know when to turn. I belive this Nav also has the bluetooth in it which will go great with your cell phone. Talking and listening thru your speakers. For me intergrated Nav is best! If I need Nav out of my car, I use my blackberry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.