Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fighting issues with my 12 Civic hybrid for about a year now. It would unexplainably blow the IGBT transistors in the inverter. I replaced the blown one and was back on the road. A few months later another blew which made me think it was a symptom of something else. I wouldn't get any meaningful codes.
It blew a third one, this time I replaced the entire IPU. Got a Refurb'd one from Greentec Auto. Installed it but still not working, now I'm getting P03B3 and the voltage sensors aren't reporting. I really want to close this out and was considering getting another HV battery. They have one on their website that claims to have "New Generation Cells" asking with a $500 premium.
I need help, I'm starting to shotgun diagnose this thing to get it back on the road. I've read a few threads here using that code as a keyword, that's what led me to post here.
BTW the 12v battery is new but I have had to charge it since the car was inop for so long.
Azure Rectangle Font Pattern Electric blue
Blue Font Technology Rectangle Parallel
Motor vehicle Trunk Hood Automotive exterior Gas

· IMA Enthusiast
1,496 Posts
You should search on here for my P0B3B threads and replies to questions. I have posted tons of information on that issue.

On the HCH3 Civic is the inverter at the front of the car or in that pack in the picture, I can't tell?
Post some more decent pictures of it from different angles.
Post pics of the part you have changed several times.

So to be clear......

1) You replaced the entire battery assembly/ipu with a new one?

2) Or retained your old battery and BMS balance boards but just swapped out the top stuff i.e. DC-DC and BCM?

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've scoured this forum for any threads with the P0B3B tag and came across the thread posted above (as well as others). The inverter is underneath the pack pictured, apparently I don't have pictures of the back. I replaced the blackened transistor, same one both times I never checked the third time.
Circuit component Electronic component Hardware programmer Computer hardware Engineering

"2) Or retained your old battery and BMS balance boards but just swapped out the top stuff i.e. DC-DC and BCM?"

This is true, I retained the original battery and replaced the "Intelligent" portion pictured above. The inverter transistor was probably blown (again) and I wasn't sure if there was something else causing it. I am considering spending more coin for a new replacement battery (with new balance boards) to put this issue to bed. Rather than having this car rotting away in my driveway.

I suppose what I really want to know is, will replacing all this fix this car of these issues, or should I just unload it before spending more money on it.

· IMA Enthusiast
1,496 Posts
I can't tell exactly which part is which without some more pictures. I haven't seen an HCH3 pack in the flesh.

Are you using the original BCM from you battery pack or the BCM from another pack?
I assume the BCM is on the rear of that pack in the picture.

My point is if you did not have a P0B3B fault before the latest swap out then there may be some subtle firmware differences between the various modules that cause this fault to appear if they aren't matched/from the same car.

I would use all your original parts and just swap out the inverter then sell it.

If a BMS board has an intermittent problem that would sporadically instantly disable the IMA and if that occurred at some specific rare high rpm scenario that might overstress the IGBT..
i.e. it tries to shut down too fast and voltage/current spikes occur etc etc.

It's a weird one though... You could have a loose HV phase cable as unexpected/intermittent disconnection with the motor running might also fry things

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you using the original BCM from you battery pack or the BCM from another pack?
I assume the BCM is on the rear of that pack in the picture.

-Right now, I'm using the "New" BCM as it was on the refurb'd pack. I no longer have the old one because it was taken in exchange. I believe the BCM is at the top on edge.
Automotive exterior Auto part Motor vehicle Bumper Wire

Inverter is under this cover on the back.

Wheel Motor vehicle Font Rolling Bicycle part

My point is if you did not have a P0B3B fault before the latest swap out then there may be some subtle firmware differences between the various modules that cause this fault to appear if they aren't matched/from the same car.
-I had inverter codes before (old pic from the first time it happened). After I replaced the IGBT, these went away.
Computer Personal computer Product Output device Laptop

I would use all your original parts and just swap out the inverter then sell it.
-Original parts were taken in exchange so I no longer have them, the refurb'd unit (should) have a good inverter. I suppose if I get a new battery with new balance boards, and the P0B3B still exists, it would point back to a bad BCM in the Refurb'd pack?

Right now, I'm still mulling over whether or not to get a new battery.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it does have the ABC&D boards, only C was reporting. I'm new to this kind of diagnostic so I'm probably all over the place and not very systematic. I apologize for that.

Being as the car is 8yrs with 2000,000mi, a new battery probably wouldn't be a bad thing. I called the vendor and asked about the battery with "The Next Generation Cells". Apparently they aren't higher capacity, they are just new cells. The less expensive refub'd pack uses cells recovered from other packs. He also gave me a discount because I bought the inverter pack.

Consulted the boss (wife) and she supports getting another pack. I just hope it lasts another 200,000mi.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: installed the "new" battery and so far so good. Drove it to work with no problems. Haven't reinstalled the back seat or cover panel since I don't totally trust it yet.
While poking around with scan tool and clearing any codes, I found "reset battery history" and another battery related item to reset. I went ahead and reset them since it asked if the battery (and the other item) had been replaced. Not sure what they were though. All codes were clear, nothing is showing anymore. Don't know if it's learning or anything or if I just got used to the CR-Z, but the hybrid system felt very intrusive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts