Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,

I know there's been plenty of "eco vs normal vs sport" topics, but I can't seem to find an answer on this: Why would you drive 'normal' mode?

I just got the car and feel like I want to drive it in Eco, and I've set it to stay in Eco when starting the car. When I want to go a bit faster, I'll put it in sport. But I can't seem to find a reason to drive in normal mode.

Also, does it harm the car to always drive in Eco Mode?

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
If it would harm the car Honda would not let you do it. As for normal I use it in moderate traffic where I may need to accelerate but not as fast as Sport situations where the slow acceleration of Econ is a bit too slow.

Or to put it another way why not?
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As to the why not: because fuel consumption haha :)

But okay, guess I get that. I don't really find it too slow to get going with the traffic in Eco :D

If it would harm the car Honda would not let you do it. As for normal I use it in moderate traffic where I may need to accelerate but not as fast as Sport situations where the slow acceleration of Econ is a bit too slow.

Or to put it another way why not?
:ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
Even with using all the modes The Speed Bump has never gotten less than 30 MPG I am usually in Econ or Sport but sometimes use normal as I said. I am talking roads where speed limit is 45 and traffic varies from 10 to 50 that is when I use normal. it helps to get back up to speed when the mystery stops end and i have enough space to get up to speed. uses less fuel than sport. At least according to the Scan Gauge II and dash meter.

As to the why not: because fuel consumption haha :)

But okay, guess I get that. I don't really find it too slow to get going with the traffic in Eco :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
For me, I want Sport mode to feel like an occasion. I only use it when I'm using the car for fun, which is fairly seldom actually. I used to use Econ constantly, but after getting used to the car, there isn't any significant difference for MPG between me using Normal or Econ mode; it's much more dependent on how I drive. Also, normal is the perfect balance between the two modes if I would need the power for merging or overtaking. This might be different if I had the CVT, but using the S+ button does little to help me overtake or accelerate quickly when needed if I need to first downshift anyway (which cancels the S+ activation).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is an s+ Button on top of the sport button? Or are those the same?

For me, I want Sport mode to feel like an occasion. I only use it when I'm using the car for fun, which is fairly seldom actually. I used to use Econ constantly, but after getting used to the car, there isn't any significant difference for MPG between me using Normal or Econ mode; it's much more dependent on how I drive. Also, normal is the perfect balance between the two modes if I would need the power for merging or overtaking. This might be different if I had the CVT, but using the S+ button does little to help me overtake or accelerate quickly when needed if I need to first downshift anyway (which cancels the S+ activation).

·
Registered
123 Posts
There is an s+ Button on top of the sport button? Or are those the same?
The S+ Button is on the steering wheel for 2013 and later models. What it does, is activate Sport mode functionality, regardless of whatever mode we're currently in. So, if I'm in Normal or Econ mode, but want to make a quick pass without changing modes, I'll have a boost from the IMA battery to make the pass for as long as I have the accelerator pressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi y'all,

I know there's been plenty of "eco vs normal vs sport" topics, but I can't seem to find an answer on this: Why would you drive 'normal' mode?

I just got the car and feel like I want to drive it in Eco, and I've set it to stay in Eco when starting the car. When I want to go a bit faster, I'll put it in sport. But I can't seem to find a reason to drive in normal mode.

Also, does it harm the car to always drive in Eco Mode?
Definitely no harm in keeping it in ECO.

The more I use cruise control, the higher my MPG; I do mostly highway driving and leave it in ECO mode.

What I like least about ECO is that the cruise control slows down noticeably on hills, but NORMAL maintains the speed... so I use NORMAL when going uphill, SPORT for passing & on-ramps (...and whenever I feel the need to goose it, of course...).

I usually keep my current mileage in the info box, and I hold around 34+MPG. When I leave it in NORMAL, ~31+MPG.

...it’s like driving a video game... ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive my 2013 CR-Z EX CVT to work most days on the backroads of Central Virginia. I use ECO mode to save gas and to avoid getting a ticket until I am far enough out of town to take off. I then switch to NORMAL mode, which works great for me on a very curvy, but fast road. It is a blast. I only use SPORT mode if I want to change gears manually, something I rarely do because it kills my gas mileage.

The curves on the roads that I drive on can be driven by just lifting rather than braking. Only a few of the curves require significant drops in speed mostly because the CR-Z corners so incredibly well. It makes my daily commute a lot of fun. If it is raining, then I drive my 2009 Fit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sport mode is of course my favourite and feels much more responsive plus you don’t get encouraged to change up to the next gear (which really helps you drive economically) but for my day to day commuting I use normal to start until the cold temperature light goes out and then try to switch to Eco when I can. I do find eco mode feels too weak for hills though - even just switching back to normal is better for climbing up hill.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
for my day to day commuting I use normal to start until the cold temperature light goes out and then try to switch to Eco when I can.
Similar to my routine.
Why "Normal"? Because sometimes I just want to pretend that I am. ?

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
I leave car in econ and drive gently till the cold temp light goes out. Then switch to sport for the fast part of my trip and normal or econ for the slower bits.

Sport mode is of course my favourite and feels much more responsive plus you don’t get encouraged to change up to the next gear (which really helps you drive economically) but for my day to day commuting I use normal to start until the cold temperature light goes out and then try to switch to Eco when I can. I do find eco mode feels too weak for hills though - even just switching back to normal is better for climbing up hill.
Similar to my routine.
Why "Normal"? Because sometimes I just want to pretend that I am. ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Driving conditions must be so different over here in UK!!! I always start off in sport until I am settled in traffic and 'drop' to normal. If and when I can get to a 'cruising' situation with no traffic about (very rare) I pop it into eco. Even on the motorway/dual carriageways I find eco a pain. It will not hold speed and fades away with no power available for any quick maneuvers so I generally cruise in normal with sport being used for the odd overtake.
I still get 40+ UKmpg. Even made 50 once :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks y'all. I've had the car for a bit longer now and been playing around with it a bit. Now I've started to experience the ups and downs of the normal mode myself aswell.
There are no hills/mountains in my country at all, all flat. So I don't get to experience the problem with the cruise control. But I do notice that driving in Eco mode in town is horrible, it will stall much quicker over normal mode I guess. I just set it to stay in Eco for most of the time now and sometimes switch it to normal when I got a lot of traffic lights / start-stop situations like in town :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I stay in normal most of the time. Eco runs the battery a lot more, causing it to go through charge/recharge cycles faster, which decreases the life of the battery. I used Eco when I took the car on the 5-hour drive home from the dealership, but don't use it very often in normal, everyday driving. Normal driving = normal mode.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Over here in the UK we have 'roundabouts' :)
When I approach one I always slip into 'sport' mode :)
You need the boost to get in and out.
I also tend to drop into normal when I hit 3rd and eco if I get to 5th.
As I drop gears I also up the mode. Driving is so different over here. You lot in USA or Canada would not have a hope of passing your driving test!!! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tend to just stick to normal, I'm always paranoid about using the battery so just stick to basic. It's definitely quick enough and fuel economy is still great!

I do enjoy sport though. Just as much as Eco bums me out. :LOL:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As I drop gears I also up the mode. Driving is so different over here. You lot in USA or Canada would not have a hope of passing your driving test!!! :)
Luckily we have roundabouts and so called “turbo roundabouts” over here aswell :p
Been in the UK with my previous car and it’s not much different apart from the hills that we don’t have. But that makes a huge difference in choosing driving mode I guess :)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
You Brits think you're so "wordly" and sophisticated. We have roundabouts in the USA as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Really?? So sorry. I have never seen any on the films! That would be my biggest problem, driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. We give way to traffic on the roundabout. Some countries do the opposite!!.
Anyway, enjoy the variable modes. I do :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts