Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
YouTube - Honda CR-Z sport hybrid

I HATE how concepts always are so bad ass, and then once they go on the market, they just make the car so much more tame. What's up with the missing concept grille? Why couldn't they include that in the production model? I mean, how hard would it have been to make a mold out of the concept and put it on the crz?

EDIT: Sorry, title is wrong: not CRV, I meant CRZ LOL.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The molds for prototypes are one off, built from plaster from a full sized clay model.

That bumper is probably twice the cost of the bumper that the car released with. Also, I don't see much difference. Toss the front spitter on and it's golden. Looks better, imo.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I used to always wonder about this too. Why do the concepts always look so much better than the production models. And I have come up with a number of reasons:

1. Crash worthiness - Concept cars are not real cars and their design has not been calculated to meet safety and crash standards. Translating a beautiful shape into a unibody that can practically be built and meet the safety and crash standards is very very difficult. Bumper must be so high, the hood must be so high, the firewall must be placed here etc..

2 packaging of required components - Many concept cars have hood heights so low that there is nowhere to fit an engine, cooling system transmission and suspension. When you fit the basic components inside the shell of a concept car, sometimes there is no space left for passengers.

3. ergonomics - how many concept cars have doors that open wide enough for proper ingress egress or sight lines for the driver that are adequate. Once you consider good ergonomics, many of the really cool looking designs become impractical.

4. Production viability - You have to be able to build it economically and that means multiple panels made of various different materials. when you put these panels together on a production car, unsightly seams and panel gaps appear that really cause the beautiful concept shape to get chopped up.

There have been some cars that made the jump from concept to production car without losing too much style, but many of these models never did too well in the marketplace because the practicality of car ownership eventually wins out over style for the mass market. A good example of this was the Plymouth Prowler which translated very well from show car to production car, but in the end never sold well, because that big cool looking rear end treatment, where you would expect to find a truck, couldn't carry anything.

The CRZ lost some style in its translation from concept to production, but still maintained much of its uniqueness. But there are indeed some aspects, like where the back of the hood meets the bottom of the windshield where serious compromises of practicality to style were made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.