Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiousity...

For me, it’s the combination of fun, reliablity, and fuel efficiency. I didn’t seriously consider other cars actually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shape, size, brand, fuel savings, mileage, price, comfort. So, small, hatchback, japanese or US brand, economic and/or hybrid, under specific price/mileage and year limit, comfortable to sit (I am not sure where people put knees in dome cars - had a rental Nissan for a bit, was banging knees to the steering wheel colum all the time) and that I would love to look at it - smooth shape, nice from the back. (Had a Honda Civic for a while when living in other country and had very good experiences with it, better than with some more expensive brand and more powerful, so Honda had an additional plus). Also checked some reviews, but don't remember if before buying (after selecting the model), or after buying.)

Was more seriously considering Honda Insight (I like shape of it better, but it was more expensive), Civic (again. I think it was more expensive), and Prius.

Glanced at several other smaller cars, I think other Toyotas (hated the shape of Fit and not too much fan of Yaris shape) Mazda M3 and maybe something else? Not sure.

Not super bug fan of how it looks from front, but my weakness is shape and car appearance from back - for me it trumps the appearance from the front. If I was looking for a bit bigger car, probably consider Crosstour (liked the shape when saw in street)

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
an old lady absolutely destroyed my last car (white civic hatch 2002) with her bmw x6 "tank" suv, through a red traffic light, I had just got my license and only had the hatch for a few months, it was a freebie car but it was in very nice condition, I liked the size and general spec of it and when I was shopping around for something similar the CRZ basically was as if that hatch had travelled through some sort of futuristic portal and come out the other side. When i saw it in person i fell in love with it and had to have it.

from this:
to this:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
2018 Hyundai Elantra(because I was replacing a 2005 model), Kia Soul(don't laugh), 2015 Subaru Impreza, 2008 or newer V6 6-speed Honda Accord, Lexus 200H. Got sucked in by the style, hatchback, dash and flappy paddles of the CVT. Ultimately ditched the paddles for the 6-speed manual. So good thing I didn't go for the Lexus...

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
53 Posts
I'm a fan of Japanese cars, mostly because of the reliability. I've been driving Mazda 323C before, but it was old and rusting badly. I'm also a fan of electric cars, but currently they are slightly out of reach for me, so the closest I could get was a hybrid.
Eventually I had to get rid of my Mazda due to undercarriage rust and I've set a budget of 30k PLN for the new car (it's around 7100$ or 6600 euro) and it had to be much newer car so I wouldn't have to deal with rust anytime soon. There were 2 cars within this price range that were hybrids and built in 2010+, it was Toyota Yaris III and Honda CR-Z. At this point the choice was obvious ;)

Yea, I mean Toyota would be more practical and probably more economical, but where's the fun ;)

Bonus some last photos of my old Mazda (yes, it's dirty but at this point I didn't care about it as it was going to scrapyard soon)
1588901942673.png 1588901960354.png 1588901996178.png 1588902036531.png 1588902098463.png

·
Registered
42 Posts
Having used my 99 DC2 Integra Type R as my only car and daily driver for 16 years and wanting to keep it going as long as is possible (because it is great to drive) I decided it was time to at least protect it from the mundane and the worst of winters, move it to a classic policy and get something else as a daily driver.

As it meant extra costs for a second car I was looking for something with very low running costs - road tax, insurance and fuel (hugely taxed over here). I’d actually forgotten about the CR-Z and was looking at a Jazz (Fit in the USA) or a Yaris because the Integra has been so reliable and running costs actually very reasonable given the performance plus colleagues and friends with more popular cars (German and Italian) always seemed to be having problems.

The CR-Z came up in the low road tax used car searches I was doing and it looked like I could have something different and more fun than I expected possible. It really seemed like I was cheating the system compared to the other options.

The more I read actual owner reviews rather than the original press ones the better it sounded and it was a better looker than most economy commuters. When I finally got to drive one I was impressed that Honda had managed to maintain a lot of the driver focus despite all the technology I wasn’t used to having. I’m more or less used to the car now but have no regrets getting one. They might not suit everyones needs but for mine it was a great choice and I hope keep it along time too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
For me, it all happened towards the end of highschool. Got my first (and current job), and in typical North American fashion... Wanted a car in highschool!

First, I was looking into getting an RSX (or the DC5 Integra for the non North American markets). All good... Just didn't see what I really wanted on the local classifieds.

Don't slip @Fediej, I kinda wanted a Kia Soul the year before because I LOVED their ads.

One day I was on the bus coming home, and saw the front of a Honda. I couldn't recognize the car at all until it drove by. I recognized that it looked a little like a CRX, so I hit google looking up "modern crx" yadda yadda yadda... Saw it as a CRZ.

From there, it was over. I'm known in my circle as a very "unique" kind of individual (greatest example is I want to have a career in the neonatal side of life, where men are almost non existing... except for OBGYNs and Paediatricians).

The more I read into the car, the more and more I started to see the car as "Me." It's unique, small (I'm a minimalist), affordable, and a car perfect for a pair (there was some girl I was looking into making my "co-pilot" after all :p). It always looks like something that could've been released recently... So looks are covered.

Still, at the time I couldn't afford one, but it was within my reach. Until I started university soon after.

Choosing schools, I stayed local so I can have a consistent stream of money and live at home to have very little expenses. But I needed a way to get to school, so I bought my mom's old car for $2k... A Chevrolet Aveo, and had to put in over $1k into it within the first 3 months of owning it. Set back after set back... Then I had to replace the wheel bearings and I said screw it, I'm not settling for less. I'm settling for me.

March 2017, walked right into Service Ontario and paid the $950 transfer tax on the CRZ, it was finally the first car I truly owned. Sure I was looking at an empty bank account, and owed the guy I bought the car from about $3k, but no way in hell was I maintaining a car that wasn't fully "mine." Plus seeing myself only in a CRZ for awhile made me very much determined.

My mom was furious! But to me... It was an accomplishment... 18 years old and it was all my money that did it. Now I look back and laugh at myself for seeing that as a huge "Nobel prize" moment then.

But now I'm coming into the 3rd year of owning the car... I learned how to drive MT with it, been all over southern Ontario, laughed, loved, cried, and lost in it. The car truly became an extension of who I am — a one of a kind character. I'm still happy I but the bullet then... Absolutely no regrets.
And unhappy because I know I'm gonna pour a ton of money in it once I get my BScN next year to make it more.... Shamarskii ;)

That's my journey.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have had a lot of cars over the years. I bought a Honda Del Sol because my commute to work was 71 miles each way. The Del Sol served me well until I changed jobs. I sold that Del Sol. I bought another Del Sol. That one got totalled when I hit a deer. I bought a Chevrolet Silverado for my now 41 mile each way commute. I decided I was just piling the miles up on the truck for no reason so I started looking for another Del Sol and came across the CRZ. So much for the Del Sol shopping. CRZ was on my radar. It's been a great car so far. Coming up on 2 years and 40k miles. I hope to have it until I retire. 20k a year. Surely it will last until 250k miles. I just hit 159k.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Took a new job. My commute went from 4 miles to 55 miles one way. I have a truck that gets about 15-16 on the highway. I thought about a Tesla but I love my truck so I decided to get a “beater” to commute. I looked into every car that got more than 40mpg on the highway. I was dead set on a Prius but then talked to a coworker who drove a CR-Z. I always liked the look of the CR-Z but I thought they only got 35ish. Did more research and started to like CR-Z. I’ve had a Civic and a RSX in the past and know that with a little DIY maintenance and upkeep Honda easily last 200-300k miles. Bought a CR-Z and fell in love with it. Fun little car to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
In 2014, I was driving my 1990 Integra when I saw this neat little red car at a stoplight. I didn't know what it was, but it said "hybrid" on the back and it had a Honda badge.

Once I found out what it was, I looked up the specifications and realized it was just the car I had been looking for -- two-seater, hardtop, stick shift, plus I've always wanted a kamm-back.

Since buying mine I've discovered how well the CR-Z was designed and assembled and what a pleasure it is to drive.

Other cars I considered:
Mini Cooper -- ugly, over priced, and too much attitude.
VW Golf GT -- plain looking, and premium price just for a turbo.
Miata -- very neat, but I didn't want a ragtop.
Nissan 370-Z -- more race car than daily driver.
BRZ/FRS -- again, more track than street.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
110 Posts
Basically cuz it's pretty and it's a Honda

My favorite brand is Honda, for sure. My first car was a 2005 Honda Civic. I loved that car. It was relaible, fun to drive, and practical. My mother also really liked it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the lack of power. My mother ended up changing her gas guzzler Kia Sportage for a 2004 Mazda 6. Unfortunately, the Mazda ended up having transmission issues. We decided to sell the Mazda and buy her something else. We looked for a 7th gen Civic, similar to mine, as well as newer Hondas. We didn't find much, unfortunately.

I was considering an Acura RSX or a Mazda Miata, so I got a faster car, and my mom would keep my Civic. The cars I was looking at were out of reach. We didn't find much and decided to finance a nicer car.

I went with her to a used car dealer to see what we could find. While she was looking at a Prius C and a Nissan Sentra, I found a CR-Z and climbed in to check it out. The first thing I thought was "no waaay, this thing has paddle shifters!"

When she asked me "which one do you like" I jokingly pointed at the 'Z and said "that one"
Soo we got it. She helped me buy the car, and she now drives the Civic. To be honest, I never even considered the CR-Z, and I'm not sure why. It's a beautiful car, it's reasonably practical, and has some neat stuff that I really find interesting, from the obvious like the IMA system to the more insignificant, like the dual-color backlight on the MID display.

The car is also so much fun to drive, despite the lack of power. It feels so agile and weightless that other cars feel like heavy trucks. I do plan on installing a Sprintex Supercharger, but one thing at a time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I saw the car when it was released in 2011. I’ve been a Honda fan since my first car was an 03 Civic coupe, and my first motorcycle was a Honda CBR600F2. I loved the styling and the fuel economy hybrid nature while still being a fun to drive manual car. I was just graduating college and moving out of state and thought this would be a great car.

I’ve received numerous compliments on it and have had people come and ask me questions about it while outside giving it a bath. I even once had someone kiss the passenger window. It took me a week or two to realize the smudge on the window was actually a lips print 👄.

It’s been a great car, totally love
WP_20130721_032.jpg
20190906_170026_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Because I just love the 2-dr Hondas for some reason. Back in the ‘80’s, my sister had an ‘85 Honda CRX which was 5-spd manual, fun to drive and I wanted to have one too but I got married and you know how it goes. Then in 1999, the Honda Insight came out, the first hybrid before the Prius, so I bought one. I had the very first one in Pensacola, FL, at that time. I loved it but it finally gave out many years later. I wish I had kept it anyway. I didn’t like the next generation of Insight, I ended up getting the CRV (SUV) ‘coz I moved to NY from CA. Then in 2015, I finally got rid of my Honda CRV when I saw this blue Honda CR-Z at a Honda Dealer. And it brought me back to the ‘80s... I just wish my CR-Z has a stick instead of auto. -myk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I loved my 1993 Integra GS-R, but I sold it when my brother kept borrowing it and kept getting "parking lot accidents" on all four sides, also had my baby in 2001 so I switched to the CRV with four doors, easier to put baby in car seat. Then switched to a 2006 Honda Odyssey because my mom feels comfortable in a van. I did not want to drive a van to and from work so I bought a used white, immaculate, manual transmission Del Sol for $3.5K. In 2010, my mom passed away so I dont need the van anymore and the del sol became too small. Sold the van for $10k and the Del Sol for $4.5k (yes i made profit on the del sol).

I would have bought the 2011 CRZ, but I really did not like the gray interior, as well as the orange/red panels. So I went and bought an all black 2011 Prius with all the bells and whistles for $35k. Drove the prius to work the next day and I was miserable. I am used to manual transmission and the prius was killing me. Since my old car was still at the dealer's lot, I drove straight to the dealer and returned the Prius. Luckily, the dealer I got it from allows returns within a certain mileage. Drove next door to a honda dealer and brought home an all black 2011 Honda Civic LX-S 5spd for $17K out the door.

3 years later I fell in love with the newly redesigned all black 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback and bought a 6spd iTouring and kept my civic for my son when he starts driving. I loved the mazda, but I always look at craigslist for CRZs, Still not into the gray interior and not a lot of manual transmission available. So I stayed with my mazda with its bose speakers that I love.

Last year, July 2019, I was looking at craigslist again and saw a 2016 Jet Black CRZ EX-L with 10k miles. The seller was 2 miles from my brother's house so I though "I'D LOOK" ... when I got there, it was so beautiful! The owner bought it for nostalgia because she used to have a CRX. She only drove it for leisure thus the low mileage and kept it in the garage. It was so clean, it looked and smelled brand new. No rust/dust on the brakes, under the car there was no dirt at all, everything looked new. When she opened the door and I saw the immaculate black leather seats and door inserts inside, and when she turned on the engine (immaculate engine bay) it growled like a lion waking up from its sleep ... I had to have it! It was a saturday and I was 30miles away from home and it was 1pm, my bank closes at 2pm! So I borrowed my brother's car and emptied my bank account (cant get a loan asap) . Paid 16K all cash for my all black (inside and out) 2016 CRZ EX-L with 10k miles, perfect limousine tint, honda rubber mats, window visors, mudguards, dashboard cover, perfect leather seats. My son now loves driving my Mazda 3. Civic needs to be posted for sale soon.

Only thing I did was change the bulbs to blue to match the dash and change oil to synthetic, replace air filter with aFe. No plans to supercharge or do other things with it. Keeping it stock since driving in sport mode and the S+ button is enough for me to overtake someone stupid on the road. NAV is crude compared to my Mazda, but I will get used to it. I did not have to buy any other accessories for it nor do I have to pay $400 to tint it. I only need to replace the tires since it is still the original tires that came with the car brand new. I wanted to wrap it in yellow since I have always wanted that yellow CRX, but my family keeps discouraging me because they say it will look like a taxi so I just might do a PPF and ceramic coating on it to keep it shiny. Being black, its really hard to keep it clean. Unfortunately, the pandemic closed the shop that was going to make it look like new.

... that's my story

·
Registered
143 Posts
Back in 2011 when I'm still in college, GT86 were just released and I'm so excited to see the revival of 86 (hachiroku). I thought that was my dream car until I sat on a CR-Z show car in the mall. At that time, I've never seen such a unique car shape and crazily modernized dashboard before. (I never knew the existence of CR-X at that time). So, that's how I gotten my Z after years of working.

By the way, this thread reminds me of those days where dream car can be simple and not fast. I felt kinda lost now by chasing "MORE POWA" on my Z. It should just stay "fun" instead of "track machine" or "drag monster".

Sheep.

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
110 Posts
By the way, this thread reminds me of those days where dream car can be simple and not fast.
I totally feel ya. Sure, a modern Lamborghini, Ferrari, Pagani, Koenigsegg, etc, are all cool cars, and very impressive, there's something about them that feels lacking to me. Nowadays, exotic cars are just getting stranger and stupider designs. It's all about building the weirdest, most aggressive, and honestly most childish design. Some people rage about the Pagani Huayra or some Koenigsegg models, but I think they're hideous.

Older cars are beautiful not because they look like they're made of razor blades and were styled by someone who wants to milk your wallet, but because they're either sleek, with beautiful flowing lines and good proportions, like a Mk4 Supra or the FD RX-7, or they have a unique design with genuine styling, like the Honda CR-X. I feel like back then, designers just sat down and said "I'm going to make the most beautiful design I can make", and they did. Nowadays they probably say "I'm going to make the design that brings in the most money"

That's why my dream car is a 1st gen NSX. It's a beautiful car, and the engineering behind it is amazing. It was Honda's attempt to build the best car they could. Not the fastest, not the craziest, not the flashiest, but the highest quality.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was at a point in my life, one year ago, where I felt I was finally making progress and beginning to live my own life. One milestone I always had in mind to that point, was to finally get my own car so that I could stop putting excess miles on my mom's vehicles and I could start helping her more instead of the other way around. I didn't know about the CR-Z initially. My first choice was the 9.5-gen Civic Si, since I'd coveted that car for years by then. It also seemed the obvious choice for requirements I made: must be 2-door, a manual with absolutely no exceptions, and has to resemble my mom's commuter car (white 9th-gen Civic LX). As a fallout plan, I'd also added "New Nissan Sentra" to the list.

As I was getting closer to finally make my decision, I saw the rear of a CR-Z outside my workplace one day. I'd never recognized anything like it, and it looked awesome; small, 2-doors, and with a cool design, which is all I could ask for. The more I looked into the car, the more it seemed to fit me and, most noticeably, all of my requirements. So I tracked down the nearest one (an hour away from where I lived) and took a test drive (stalled many times in the parking lot, as this was my first and still only MT experience), and I believe the following day was when my mom and I went to go purchase the car. It felt like an achievement because, while I brought my mom so that I could have transportation and a dealership haggle buddy, I invested in the purchase all on my own.

It's been an awesome year, considering how my life had progressed up to that point, and this car takes a lot of credit. I can say I've enjoyed the 30,000mi so far, something tells me I would not be feeling this way if I'd settled for the Sentra or even if I got the Civic Si really. So many great experiences -- Tail of the Dragon with you lot, the process of learning to drive manual and driving techniques I never would've attempted with another's car, following 2 Mustangs screaming down the highway on my way to Charlotte Cars and Coffee -- and also biding me through bad experiences. I don't nickname cars, opting to stick with the chosen name from the manufacturer, but the CR-Z has been and is my buddy and I look forward to continued life with this car.

Thanks a bunch for making this thread btw; I can relate quite a bit to a few other commenters and it's great to have read others' stories.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I was commuting 110miles a day in a ford explorer. Financing the CRZ and the increase in insurance was cheaper than just driving the explorer since it got 17mpg.

I actually was shopping for a newer less inefficient truck or SUV when I saw the CRZ on the side lot and gave it a test drive. It was a huge departure from the lifted pickup I went to look at! But it won me over with the test drive and I set out to find the best one I could find, after doing the math and acknowledging that I don't need a daily to hold more than me and my work stuff... and even if I needed a pickup truck every weekend for something, I could rent one and still be money ahead on buying the CRZ instead.

A couple months later, I happened to find a manual in downtown chicago (driving home I got a lesson in why a stick shift in downtown chicago sucks the life out of you).

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
110 Posts
I don't need a daily to hold more than me and my work stuff... and even if I needed a pickup truck every weekend for something, I could rent one and still be money ahead on buying the CRZ instead.
I think that that's a smart way to think, and I wish more people thought like that. Most people don't need a pickup truck as a daily. They're useful, for sure, but 95% of the pickup trucks you see on the road are completely empty (or full of junk).
I think that the CR-Z makes a fantastic daily car. Very fun, but still reasonably practical. There's no need to haul an empty bed and 4 empty seats.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts