Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a whistling noise coming from the front windshield when driving at highway speeds? It comes when it is windy outside and traveling about 60 mph. I also comes when traveling faster and little wind. Seems to coming from the front windshield around the mirror area. Any others with the same issue?
CRZ EX MT

Kami

·
Registered
609 Posts
Not quite the same, but a whistling noise coming from drivers side of the rear hatch in heavy tail wind conditions. I mentioned it in both Honda online customer satisfaction surveys I've done, but since it doens't happen except in very specific conditions, I don't think it will be easy to get diagnosed and fixed. I've even heard it once when sitting in the car with the engine off and the wind blowing hard against the back of the car.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Think I first heard this at about 70MPH in high wind (early May). I think it was a wistle from the passenger side weatherstrip. I turned off the vent fan and it changed. Heard it once briefly after that, not since then. K

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's only happened a couple of times when I have been traveling on the freeway. It happens more when there are windy conditions outside, and is a high pitched sound that fluctuates in tone up and down. When I slow a little it ceases, then when I speed up again it comes back. Seems to come from the mirror area on the front windshield. I read online that some 2005 oddessy owners had this type of issue, but didn't see anything with crz's. Wills check tomorrow to see if there is anything loose around the windshield seams, but don't know. m taking it into the dealership as I have only had the car for less than a month.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have gotten some wind noise from the tail gate when I am stopped and there is a high wind from behind.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
^ Hooligan - :rotfl:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hear it at about 95 to 105 when I am driving I slowed a little thinking it was my engine redlining or some thing Idk but is good to know is not the engine

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hear it at about 95 to 105 when I am driving I slowed a little thinking it was my engine redlining or some thing Idk but is good to know is not the engine

Sent from my DROIDX
Umm... is it a windshield-type whistling noise? Because when I may or may not have been doing a similar speed, I got a high pitched noise, but doesn't sound like it comes from a windshield. Sounded more like it came from the navi. :unsure:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took the car into the dealership today and they were really good. The service tech called the shop manager out right away and they listened to a video I had made of the noise. It was really good I had made the video so I didn't have to try to imitate the noise myself. But the shop manager listened and then said that he had heard the same noise before. It was on Honda Oddessy vans, but he suspected it was the top window moulding. If you look at it, the bottom part is loose and rests against the window. He was suspecting that the bottom lifts up and somehow creates the noise. He hadn't heard that this is a common problem with CR-Z's, but it's such a new car that no news has come out yet. The dealership had a glass guy there this morning and he looked at it and said he would put some type of sealant under the moulding. The fix has to cure in the next 48 hours and then I can see if it fixes the noise. Crossing my fingers....the good thing is that my dealership has had Oddessys coming to them with the same issue. I had found that 2005 Oddessys had this problem. So am happy with the treatment I got today. The noise happened when going at high speeds, 75-90 as well at lower speeds in windy conditions. Took some long road trips recently and found it happened on both trips
Kami

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sound I was getting was really high pitched, fluctuated up and down, like someone whistling at a high tone and continued while I was at speed. Soon as I slowed it would stop and if I gained speed it would come back. On my second trip, it was really windy and it occurred at a much slower speed b/c of the wind. All times it happened I turned the radio off to hear the noise

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have to say that it seems like they did a good job, pulled the tape off and it looks good. They sealed the strip at the top of the windshield, have not taken the car up to speed yet to test it out, but can't wait to try it. Will let you know what it's like when I can test it
Dave

·
Registered
142 Posts
Am assuming this is the noise we talking about
CR-Z Wind Noise @65miles/hr speed - YouTube
My dealers cannot find the source despite me telling them that it's coming from the top right behind the rear view mirror
And because of that you're "never buying a Honda again" ?

Call the Regional Service representative from Honda. You're under warranty and have the right to get this resolved.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
Am assuming this is the noise we talking about
CR-Z Wind Noise @65miles/hr speed - YouTube
My dealers cannot find the source despite me telling them that it's coming from the top right behind the rear view mirror
All the members here are pretty satisfied with their CR-Z's. As a first run production model, has thus far been pretty fault free. Sounds like your service department may not be the best.

If you read through this post, you now have a couple of potential ideas of what it is and can better articulate to the service department what it may be..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sitting @ dealer/ service center.
I told him about the potential solution which i read online on this forum and service manager said what if it doesn't work? He said he would be debited for the moulding replacement. The service manager also said that he doesn't want to bother with forums/ online bulletins. According to him, Honda doesn't have this listed as a problem. When I told him it doesn't happen all the time and that I got video proof, he told me to take tech along for a drive... In case it doesn't happen in front of him, keep driving the car till it gets worse and then, come back to the service center

Beat that!
P.S sorry for typos and grammatical errors if any. Am actually fuming as am writing this

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
Sitting @ dealer/ service center.
I told him about the potential solution which i read online on this forum and service manager said what if it doesn't work? He said he would be debited for the moulding replacement. The service manager also said that he doesn't want to bother with forums/ online bulletins. According to him, Honda doesn't have this listed as a problem. When I told him it doesn't happen all the time and that I got video proof, he told me to take tech along for a drive... In case it doesn't happen in front of him, keep driving the car till it gets worse and then, come back to the service center

Beat that!
P.S sorry for typos and grammatical errors if any. Am actually fuming as am writing this
Sometimes the Stealership and Service Department have serious disconnects. They have different funding sources and objectives. If you have not tried - might talk to the dealership (sales) and articulate your concerns and experiences with the service department.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have even spoken to the GM. Nothing came off it.
Just took printouts of all the work done here. Gonna start looking at other options

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
^ Sorry you are having what appears to be a negative experience.. If the lemon law is you way out - then might want to pursue.. But - for almost all of us, the CR-Z has been nothing but a positive experience and purchase.. Do what you have to do..

1 - 20 of 89 Posts