Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that low rolling resistance tires are the popular choice on this forum, but I have had a few questions regarding performance tires, so I wanted to start a separate thread for those interested.

We have broken performance tires down tires into several categories and here is a short list of what I have experienced in our testing. Now remember, we do not have every single tire line in the world so, if your particular favorite is not in this list it is probably because we haven't tested it. Also, this is my take on the testing that I have completed here at The Tire Rack on our test track. If you have the base stock size, some of these may not be available. I have noticed some of you are looking at plus sizing so I thought perhaps you might find this interesting.

Extreme Performance:
You want extreme dry street performance and are willing to trade some comfort and hydroplaning resistance to get it.

Not intended to be driven in snow or on ice, or at high speeds in deep standing water, these specially tuned tires combine big-block tread designs with aggressive tread compounds and reinforced internal constructions to emphasize dry road response, traction, handling and high speed capabilities for serious driving enthusiasts.

These are all fantastic to push to the limits but, they also have their own set of compromises mostly related to ride quality, road noise and wet traction. 3

1.) Advan Neova AD08 (Super Glue sticky)
2.) Bridgestone Potenza RE11 (all around great tire)
3.) Hankook RS3 (the new entry and might move up)
4.) Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (bigger footprint than most and also noisier)
5.) Kumho Excsta XS(stupid fast and scary in the wet)

Maximum Performance:
These are great performing tires which offer great steering response and wet/dry traction (not for use in the snow!!!).

1.) Pilot Super Sport (the new Big Dawg)
2.) Potenza S-04 Pole Position (new entry that will make some waves)
3.) Eagle F1 Asymmetric
4.) Pilot Sport PS2
5.) Extreme Contact DW
5.) Hankook Ventus V12 EVO (the bang for the buck winner in this group)
6.) Advan Sport (getting pretty long in the tooth)

Ultra High Performance:
A step down from the Max tires but, still exceptional performance which fits most application for a street tire that can be driven very aggressively.

1.) Potenza RE760 Sport
2.) Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500
3.) Pilot Exalto PE2
4.) Kumho Ecsta LE Sport
5.) G-Force KDW2

Ultra High Performance All Season:
Performance tires which are capable of going through the snow.

1.) P-Zero Nero AS
2.) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
3.) Continental Extreme Contact DWS
4.) Potenza RE960 Pole Position
5.) Eagle GT
6.) BF Goodrich Super Sport A/S
7.) Advan S4

Budget Performance Tires:
Summer performance with a cost effective tire when your budget is a concern and some tires which are very cost effective are also listed in other classes . (based on performance not cost)

1.) Sumitomo HTR Z III
2.) Kumho Ecsta SPT
3.) Yokohama S-Drive
4.) Dunlop Direzza DZ101
5.) Fuzion ZRi
6.) Sumitomo HTR Z II

Please call me at 800.428.8355 x 783 to place any orders or use this useful LINK

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I was looking at getting the Continental ExtremeContact DW because they were the highest rated in the category as of the last time I checked TireRack and they were the lightest tire in that class in a 215x45x17.

I'll have to go check the weights on the Michelin and Bridgestones. Helpful post.

Edit: Continental DW are 20lbs
Michelins Pilot Super Sport are 21lbs
Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 are 24lbs

My wheels weigh 16.xx lbs. I need a 20lb tire to avoid gaining weight on each corner...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I do have the DW rated behind a few others, that should not discourage you from considering it. Excellent tire at a great price. The only caution with that tire is that once it gets on backorder, it seems to take Continental a long time to get it back in stock. All in all it has excellent dry and wet traction and comfortable road manners. Tread noise could be a little better, but it is a very well rounded Max Performance tire.

I was looking at getting the Continental ExtremeContact DW because they were the highest rated in the category as of the last time I checked TireRack and they were the lightest tire in that class in a 215x45x17.

I'll have to go check the weights on the Michelin and Bridgestones. Helpful post.

Edit: Continental DW are 20lbs
Michelins Pilot Super Sport are 21lbs
Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 are 24lbs

My wheels weigh 16.xx lbs. I need a 20lb tire to avoid gaining weight on each corner...

·
Registered
237 Posts
My XS's are absolutely brilliant. I use them on my Z (Nissan not CR-)for autocross, track days and driving back and forth from those events. They like heat like no other tire I've ever had. It seems like they could be on fire and they still perform.

Though I wouldn't describe them as "scary" in the wet. Though I've also used the Star Spec and they are absolutely better in the wet stuff than the XS, they still work better than damn near every all season I've ever driven in the rain and they are light years ahead of the wooden Dunlops that were OE on the CR-Z.

I want to give thanks to Tire Rack as well. Absolutely my first choice in tire purchase. I have been using you guys for as long as I can remember. When you started advertising in Grassroots and Sports Car and I still had to place my orders over the phone. :)

Your support for amateur racing is unparalleled. Thanks for being such a fantastic company.

·
Registered
261 Posts
and I might add that I now use the AD-08 on my track 370z over R compounds. They perform almost as good as an R compound, but last much longer.

I too am a huge Tire Rack supporter, but I also have a wholesale account with you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Potenza RE760 Sport tire gives excellent traction in dry conditions and has allowed me to appreciate the extreme limits of control possible with the stock CR-Z suspension. Although the road noise is on a level with my Blizzak snow tires, I am totally satisfied with their performance.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am running the Yokohama S-Drives, and for the money, they are a great tire. They handle much better than I anticipated, and are fairly quiet compared to others I have had. My favorite bang for the buck tire has always been the Toyo Proxes 4, but these are just as impressive for the price.

·
Registered
249 Posts
These are all fantastic to push to the limits but, they also have their own set of compromises mostly related to ride quality, road noise and wet traction. 3
1.) Advan Neova AD08 (Super Glue sticky)
2.) Bridgestone Potenza RE11 (all around great tire)
3.) Hankook RS3 (the new entry and might move up)
4.) Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (bigger footprint than most and also noisier)
5.) Kumho Excsta XS(stupid fast and scary in the wet)

I'm biased as helll
In that list #3 is the clear winner
I long ago stopped giving my money away to Bridgestone, yes they make some great products, but ya just can't beat the performance per dollar spent when it comes to Hankook.
I ran the R-S2 on my S2000 for many, many, many years
This is what is in my breezeway at home, just waiting to get mounted
This will be my 1st set of R-S3's, but all my research to date is they will be even better than the R-S2's, and they were fantastic

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would buy the R-S3 over the RE-11 or the StarSpec
Oh wait...
I did
:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hankook is the best bang for the money. I had Bridgestones on my old 09 Impreza. They were absolute junk. I then got talked into getting some Pirelli tires. They were also crap. I can't understand why people are whilling to shell out a huge sum of $ for a tire that is inferior to Hankook and Kumho tires. I'm also starting to look at Fuzion tires. The reviews are good.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I will be buying a set of Toyo Proxes R888 for the coming season of AutoX. Dunno how they measure up against this list though, but it's what I've been recomended. That and Hoosier, but they are a bit to pricey and hard to come by for me atm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just put Potenza 760 Sports on my 2007 350Z GT- best tires I have ever driven. Better than the RE050A, way better than the Conti Extreme Contact DWS. I drive them hard and I have never heard them complain, they do whatever I ask them to. They are amazing!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus- kic in the pocket
book, but all season- I'm in Midwest and travel
during week constantly - I hate switching back and forth from summer to winter- ride is wonderful and quiet- I dont have to slow down to take a call over handsfree. great warrenty. so when I figure cost of two sets and my time involved there worth price

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post, here, so I'll try not to sound like too much of a noob.

I have a set of kumho solus kh16's, which didnt last very long for me. I am on my last rotation which will probably get me 20k miles. I drive my vehicle excessively and use it for local delivery. I make really good money doing it, and selected the crz as my vehicle for its maneuverability, size, quickness, and fuel eefficiency, but I have yet to find a tire that takes into account my type of driving. I really need something thats going to stand up to hard driving, but keeps its tread longer. Any suggestions?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.