Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

Which battery do you think is better

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering which battery is better - the one in the 2012 spec Z or the new one in the 2013/2014 spec Z's ?.

I have used the search tab but found no answers to my questions.

Is the new battery in the 2013 spec Z better? Will it last longer? Dose it give better recovery/recharge times?

I recently drove both spec cars with a view to buy one and to me it appeared the 2013 spec car the battery recovered quicker after eventually getting the sport plus button to work but the car had a lot less miles on it than the 2012 spec car which felt more heavier.

I tried to start this discussion earlier today but the post was closed by admin as they said the questions had already been answered but dispute admin giving me loads of links the answers to all my questions couldn't be found. For this reason I will try again hopping this thread doesn't get closed down like my first and dose allow others to share there thoughts and any advise with me and others.

This UK member looks forward to your comments.

Just added a poll to this thread to help define your thoughts. . . . Please also add your reasons here too on why you voted for your battery choice.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts
Original thread.. http://www.crzforum.com/forum/factory-specifications/29986-better-2012-2013-sport-plus-button.html#post470186

These type of very broad based questions are difficult to answer and sometimes note one not really doing any "personal" research prior to depending on everyone else to do it for ya.. We love to help here. But a simple google search on the differences associate with the IMA batteries will answer most these questions..

All good though.. :thumbsup:

With that said, Lets, move this thread to the appropriate discussion thread also known as the "Engine and Battery Discussion" ..

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Capt'n Jack I was unsure if I should post in factory spec or battery's but as my questions are solely now about the battery charge I'm sure your movement of this thread is for the best.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,498 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks supercrz I found these but they were unable to answer my original questions maybe someone else on hear can help?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just added a poll to this thread to help define your thoughts. . . .

Please also add your reasons here too on what battery you like.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I haven't driven the 2013+ model but from what I understand, the increased output capacity from that model refresh would equate to an increased regeneration capacity. In a either model you can "fill up" the regen bar while braking and still not be capturing all the kinetic energy possible. It's limited by the motor controller. The newer models are allowed to move more energy to the motor (and back to the battery) compared to the original model.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't driven the 2013+ model but from what I understand, the increased output capacity from that model refresh would equate to an increased regeneration capacity. In a either model you can "fill up" the regen bar while braking and still not be capturing all the kinetic energy possible. It's limited by the motor controller. The newer models are allowed to move more energy to the motor (and back to the battery) compared to the original model.
Thanks for your reply and comments.

The poll at moment is pointing towards the new 2013 model with sports plus button.

·
Deputy Forum Librarian
4,781 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the 13 EX-Non Nav. and love it. The black/red interior is much better that the ugly light grey IMHO, Plus the back-up cam, lithium ion battery, and the improved mirrors I think make it a winner.
Thanks for your input :wavey: - sham in the uk a back up cam is extra and we don't get red / black interior BUT we do get the useless rear seats that no one can sit in unless they are under 8 years old.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
If I were to get another CRZ, I would probably get a CPO 2013 EX, non-NAVI. I think the S+, back up camera, and upgraded battery is worth the change. I chose the non-NAVI because several members here complain about the bass on the 2013 NAVI model. Here's the discussion on it... http://www.crzforum.com/forum/interior-ice-discussion/14892-2013-ex-navi-wheres-bass.html

Good luck!
Hi from over the water :wavey: wow the thread was an interesting read having some concerns now on buying a nav Z .

Poll is still running and at present you are liking the new battery model. Look forward to any further comments and advise you all may have

·
Registered
462 Posts
I was looking through these old threads provided and they barely offered any insight into the batteries. Here some more info I had saved.

How does the new battery differ in terms of performance as compared to the old one?

By quite a bit actually. Positively of course. Both voltage and power outputs are increased by 44% each. Effectively the battery performance alone is up to 1.5 times better, and the charging rate is 1.5 times faster too. And as the capacity is bigger, we can store more and output more as well.

The new battery weighs the same as the old one, but has a slightly smaller size. It’s packaged in the same place as before, which is in the boot as to not alter the CR-Z’s perfect weight distribution or handling balance.

Does the use of a new battery improve fuel efficiency?

Yes, of course. Over the Japanese-standard JC08 cycle, the new CR-Z uses 0.2 litre per 100 km less than before despite being quicker and more powerful.

SOURCE:Interview with Norio Tomobe, Large Project Leader of Honda CR-Z

Hope this helps. 2013-14 FTW

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was looking through these old threads provided and they barely offered any insight into the batteries. Here some more info I had saved.

How does the new battery differ in terms of performance as compared to the old one?

By quite a bit actually. Positively of course. Both voltage and power outputs are increased by 44% each. Effectively the battery performance alone is up to 1.5 times better, and the charging rate is 1.5 times faster too. And as the capacity is bigger, we can store more and output more as well.

The new battery weighs the same as the old one, but has a slightly smaller size. It’s packaged in the same place as before, which is in the boot as to not alter the CR-Z’s perfect weight distribution or handling balance.

Yes, of course. Over the Japanese-standard JC08 cycle, the new CR-Z uses 0.2 litre per 100 km less than before despite being quicker and more powerful.

So basically since the volume of the battery itself has gone down. im pretty sure this isn't why the 13-14s don't have spares. its just for weight reduction, imho

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Wow thanks for your input lots of great info that I have never seen. Thank for share this with us all here.

The poll is going well and points towards the new crz which is what I am now looking towards buying.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts