Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know to add the 1.21 gigawatts of power to make this thingg reallly sporty/fun?

no but seriously...

Do you guys think the aftermarket is ready to start building and investigating and researching performance parts for a hybrid platform?

One thing everyone loved about the CRX at least from a tuner stand point was that it was a great base to START.

The question is, do you guys think there will be any significant performance upgrades out there for this? Obviously not right away... but i guess what will matter is how well they sell... If honda only unloads a few thousand of these a year it wouldn't make sense for any of these aftermarket tuners to go after this platform, but 100k units a year worldwide maybe something worth investing further research into...

We have to admit we're in uncharted territory so far... no one gives a crap to soup up an insight or prius in terms of power... but I think there are a few people out there at least who are more excited about the CR-Z's performance potential rather than its fuel economy...

Or am i in the minority of this forum???

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hmmm...let's see now. The horsepower guys are not happy with the performance numbers and the economy guys are a little miffed at the mpg estimates. Sounds like Honda re-created the CRX to me.

Unless you're a straight line acceleration freak or an econo-nerd, it appears to me that Honda has developed a vehicle for the 21st century car
enthusiast, a car somewhere between the Insight and an S2000...respectable mileage, but fun to drive.
If that doesn't appeal to you, the good looks will when you see it in person.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm...let's see now. The horsepower guys are not happy with the performance numbers and the economy guys are a little miffed at the mpg estimates. Sounds like Honda re-created the CRX to me.

Unless you're a straight line acceleration freak or an econo-nerd, it appears to me that Honda has developed a vehicle for the 21st century car
enthusiast, a car somewhere between the Insight and an S2000...respectable mileage, but fun to drive.
If that doesn't appeal to you, the good looks will when you see it in person.

dunno bout this boss...

Perhaps right between an Insight and a Civic Si MAYBE... but the I dont care how tight the suspension is... I dont think you can put it in the same sentence as s2000.

I guess keyword is "SOMEWHERE" between the two... with the emphisis wayy over on the insight side lol.

I mean I guess my point is... It seems that the power isn't exciting the performance guys. and the econ isn't impressing the econ guys...

so all we can do is be happy that the thing LOOKS phenomenal?

Well great, but thats where the aftermarket takes over... where the manufacturer dropped the ball or didn't live up to where the enthusiasts dreamed of. (be it performance enthusiast or econ enthusiast)

So again it'll be great to see where aftermarket picks up.... beacuse I'm sure R/D isn't the same for this thing as it is for a normal R/D for a new Intake or Header for an RSX or Prelude would have been.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree with oldchap14 on this. The original CRX didn't survive for these same reasons, but after it stopped production people were finally able to see how great the car was. What made it so great? It wasn't straight-line speed (althought that wasn't too bad), it wasn't the MPG (again, not bad at all).. It was a combination of decent quickness, good MPG, lots of utility space, and Excellent handling. If any of those things had been missing then the car wouldn't have gained so much love over the last 20 years.

So far we don't have performance numbers on the 6-MT CRZ, but we know it has great utility space and decent MPG. Therefore, if it can do 0-60 in 8.5-9.0s, 1/4 mi in 15.5, and handle corners as well as a Civic SI while getting 35 MPG then I think it WILL be a success. Either that, or it will be a sales failure and then gain a cult following after production ends, just like the CRX.

In any case, I am very excited to take a test drive when the car is released. It might suprise some people, including me

·
Registered
133 Posts
My daily pal has been a 2000 S2000 for the last 9 1/2 years. I've enjoyed every minute behind the wheel and its been a good faithful friend. But I'm looking forward with great anticipation to the CR-Z. Perhaps it's my age, but I'm hoping for a 21st century ride that has style, handling and economy. From what i've seen so far, it's about to happen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i do have to say within the forst month of me getting mine i will have it at the shop that sponsors me cause there really interested in prototyping a turbo kit so when it come around i will let everyone know whats up on it, i was up there today talking about it

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with oldchap14 on this. The original CRX didn't survive for these same reasons, but after it stopped production people were finally able to see how great the car was. What made it so great? It wasn't straight-line speed (althought that wasn't too bad), it wasn't the MPG (again, not bad at all).. It was a combination of decent quickness, good MPG, lots of utility space, and Excellent handling. If any of those things had been missing then the car wouldn't have gained so much love over the last 20 years.
The original performance numbers for 1984 CRX DX were 0-60: 10.1 seconds (1985 Si, 8.7). MPG:31-38 (1985 Si, 32-36). 1/4 mile:17.6 seconds (1985 Si, 8.7). That means that the 2011 CRZ matches up pretty good to either DX or Si. The main difference is weight. The CRX DX was 1800 lbs and the CRZ is about 2500 lbs.

It wasn't until 1985 that the Si was brought to market, so maybe the same will happen here. I mean the CRZ looks like a car that Honda could tweek from the factory, just a little, to make the Si transformation. While Honda is at it how about a CRZ HF and CRZ Type R :drool:, that would be awesome.

Most of the time with aftermarket tuners it's all about speed and handeling, maybe we will see a new aftermarket tuner concentrate on MPG. There are a few aftermarket tuners that concentrate on MPG now, but not many.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
So far we don't have performance numbers on the 6-MT CRZ, but we know it has great utility space and decent MPG. Therefore, if it can do 0-60 in 8.5-9.0s, 1/4 mi in 15.5, and handle corners as well as a Civic SI while getting 35 MPG then I think it WILL be a success. Either that, or it will be a sales failure and then gain a cult following after production ends, just like the CRX.
i think the 0-60 might be close to what you said... 15.5 1/4mile is NOT happening in this car... some Si owners struggle to get that... i've had my '06 Si to 14.9 (100% stock, 3050lbs race weight)... i think mid 16's should be about right for this car if it can give a nice rev b4 the bounce...

maybe with just lower springs this might out handle a stock Si with ease... which is saying a lot b/c the Si it a damn good handling FWD car...

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
i forgot to add to my other post... when the current gen Si's came out they only expected to produce around 13,000 of them and made just under 12,000... it took quite some time to get some goodies for the Si... which sadly by them some people decided to get rid of it while waiting for performance parts... hell, they only cracked (released) that damn ECU (tuning) last year...

i expect with Honda's low-volume predictions for the CR-Z that unless some new or innovative shops step up, we won't see many parts early on...

trend i've noticed in the past with Honda's... parts like lowering springs (suspension), body kits, electrical parts like radio harnesses, etc are usually the parts to be released early on with cars... the "real" performance enhancing parts don't come until later on... hopefully with this being the same motor as the Fit it can use some of the parts currently out for that car...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.