Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read over some of the other posts and seen different numbers floating around on what is good/safe/practical to get to replace the stock wheels, but it seems hard to find some information on what im looking for. So i figured i would just ask and see if some of the experts out there could help me =)

20" wheels, doable? or just stupid?
Is there a reason in the front wheel drive car to have larger tires in the back other than looks?(by larger i mean width and diameter. reason for one or the other or both)
How much do the stock wheels weigh? I'd like to keep weight on the bigger tires about the same.
Can someone better explain "offset" to me? and how much can you safely have with no rubbing, being able to have the tires "just a little bit" past the fender without looking like an old drag car.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
20" will be HUGE on this car. I recommend 18" at most. 19's have been done but look awfully large also.

No, it's purely by looks for the CR-Z. Most people who want a functional tire set up will have square sized tires or reverse stagger.

Stock wheel weight - Can't really help ya there.

Offset is the distance from the hub mounting center to the centerline of the wheel. This is why you get -/0/+ values.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
20" wheels, doable? or just stupid?
Both.

Is there a reason in the front wheel drive car to have larger tires in the back other than looks?(by larger i mean width and diameter. reason for one or the other or both)
Nope, purely looks. It will actually handle worse with wider/larger diameter in the rear. The trend of those putting wider on the rear of FWD is rather recent and it's purely appearance and cosmetically related.

Functional stagger on FWD is always front bias. Many track-built FWD put wider up front (width stagger) and occasionally larger diameter front smaller diameter rear (diameter stagger). From an economical performance standpoint though it's most effective to just run the same size all around.

How much do the stock wheels weigh? I'd like to keep weight on the bigger tires about the same.
It's posted somewhere on here, off the top of my head somewhere around 14-16lbs.

Can someone better explain "offset" to me? and how much can you safely have with no rubbing, being able to have the tires "just a little bit" past the fender without looking like an old drag car.
Offset must always be calculated with the wheel width. Just saying e.t. +40mm doesn't really mean much, +40 on a 10" wide wheel is very different from +40 on a 6" wide wheel.

Stock CR-Z is e.t. +45mm at 6" wheel width. You can use these free calculators to tell you how much further out or in a wheel edge (both inner and outer wheel edge) will sit from stock. Its best to stick as close to the factory offset as possible as going significantly further out in either direction (more positive or negative) will change the scrub radius and have many effects on the suspension, ride quality and vehicle component wear.
https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator
Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Koala Yummies
So if i were wanting my wheels to "stick out" a little more from the side of the car, i would want a higher positive offset? but staying close the the factory of course.
and if i were to put 18x8 +45 wheels, that wouldnt be too ridiculous and would still be much larger all the way around and would fit properly?
sorry, just trying to fulling grasp this. =P

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
@Koala Yummies
So if i were wanting my wheels to "stick out" a little more from the side of the car, i would want a higher positive offset? but staying close the the factory of course.
and if i were to put 18x8 +45 wheels, that wouldnt be too ridiculous and would still be much larger all the way around and would fit properly?
sorry, just trying to fulling grasp this. =P
If you want the wheels to stick out more you would go with a lower offset. Higher will be further in. If you keep the same offset but increase the width you distribute the extra width evenly on each side of the centerline of the wheel hub. So you can even get the wheel to stick out further from the stock position by staying with the same offset as stock and simply increasing the wheel width.

For 18x8" +45 for example, same offset as stock but much wider, it will stick out ~25.4mm from stock and reduce the inner clearance by 25.4mm. I think you'd be ok with this size but this is where the wheel fitment thread comes in handy. http://www.crzforum.com/forum/wheels-tires-discussion/4808-cr-z-wheel-fitment-thread.html

For another example lets subtract 15mm from the offset of that chosen wheel so it becomes 18x8" +30. That wheel will stick out 40.4mm further from stock while only reducing the inner clearance by 10.4mm. As you can see the 8" wide wheel is ~50mm wider than the stock 6" wide wheel and the offset determines where that width will be distributed in relation to the wheel hub centerline. Lower offset further outwards, higher offset further inwards or same offset equal width distribution.

There are wider wheels with even higher offsets that fit posted in there but other factors will be suspension, ride height, camber, tire size etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want the wheels to stick out more you would go with a lower offset. Higher will be further in. If you keep the same offset but increase the width you distribute the extra width evenly on each side of the centerline of the wheel hub. So you can even get the wheel to stick out further from the stock position by staying with the same offset as stock and simply increasing the wheel width.

For 18x8" +45 for example, same offset as stock but much wider, it will stick out ~25.4mm from stock and reduce the inner clearance by 25.4mm. I think you'd be ok with this size but this is where the wheel fitment thread comes in handy. http://www.crzforum.com/forum/wheels-tires-discussion/4808-cr-z-wheel-fitment-thread.html

For another example lets subtract 15mm from the offset of that chosen wheel so it becomes 18x8" +30. That wheel will stick out 40.4mm further from stock while only reducing the inner clearance by 10.4mm. As you can see the 8" wide wheel is ~50mm wider than the stock 6" wide wheel and the offset determines where that width will be distributed in relation to the wheel hub centerline. Lower offset further outwards, higher offset further inwards or same offset equal width distribution.

There are wider wheels with even higher offsets that fit posted in there but other factors will be suspension, ride height, camber, tire size etc.
awesome. thank you, this much so much more sense now.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-Z
4 Posts
I have got 225/45/r17 federal ss 595 tires and ordered wheels but didn’t know about offset. I have ordered Vors tr-4 17x9 +30 for my 2011 crz ex with stock suspension. I want to know if they will need to be sent back and traded for a different offset so I don’t rub,I like the hella flush look but don’t want to modify the body or use spacers and no staggered set up. Thank you for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts