Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have question on spacers, is it any disadvantages to use wheel spacers? I saw the eibach spacers and I want it to use them espacially on stock rear wheels. is it safe to use them ?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Idk much about spacers but how do u drive? Conservative or agressive? If ur just chillin u shud be fine altho ive heard supposedly when u run spacers too wide or low offsets u put extra wear and tear on some of the components down there. I avoid spacers personally but I know a lot of ppl run them. If ur strictly worried about fitment then u will be fine jist do ur research on correct sizing..its somewhere on this forum..

·
Registered
122 Posts
what worries me about spacers and putting them on the rear is increasing understeer. Anyone had experience of this? I would put them on the front too but i dont think the fronts would be flush with 25mm spacers

·
Registered
542 Posts
im running stock wheels and factory tires and I actually get oversteer at the limit, so im not too sure what you're referring to. I thought about spacers, but im afraid (mostly due to the way I drive) it will wear out the rear bearings too quickly

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ahh i was applying logic from my karting days in that widening the rear usually increased understeer, which I can't stand and the car has enough of it already!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not an agressive user :) not a fan of fast and hard turnings only agressive thing is the acceleration on highway :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello to everyone! I am a new member of CRZ family and i read already all threads about spacers.

I would like to ask if someone tried and has any feedback from the below.

I have 205 55 16 tyres (slightly bigger than factory ones). I want to i install only on rear wheels spacers. 20mm or 15mm.

Do you know if i have to cut off the factory bolts in order to install properly the spacers? As far as i understand with 25 mm spacers there is no need to cut off the bolts.

Morever, a lot of owners installed spacers only on rear wheels. What was the impact on handling / stability?

Thank you in advance. Vasileios

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
50 Posts
Since CR-Z has torsion beam rear suspension, geometry and torque on springs and dampers won't change if you use spacers, so it shouldn't affect steering. The only thing that will change is the wear on bearings. Distances can only increase load on springs / dampers if they are in the same line between body mounting point and the wheel, but with torsion beam, they are perpendicular to the wheel axis, so you are not increasing leverage. Although too big distances can give enough leverage in perpendicular axis to twist leading arms and add slight negative camber, but I don't think 25mm would be enough to do that.

Oops, I accidentally answered the original question, then noticed it was the post from 2014.

I don't know if you have to cut the bolts or not, probably it depends on the rims, so I can't answer this one. I think that with 15mm you should be able to use spacers without bolts and use original bolts to mount the wheel, there should be still enough thread to do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Many thanks for your prompt reply! Now is pending to check if i will need to cut off the studs in case of 15mm spacers. I believe the best way to verify same, is to remove the rim and check :

• studs length
  • inner rim surface. If it can accommodate any stud / nut protrude.
Does any one have check same on factory 16" rims?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Hello to everyone! I am a new member of CRZ family and i read already all threads about spacers.

I would like to ask if someone tried and has any feedback from the below.

I have 205 55 16 tyres (slightly bigger than factory ones). I want to i install only on rear wheels spacers. 20mm or 15mm.

Do you know if i have to cut off the factory bolts in order to install properly the spacers? As far as i understand with 25 mm spacers there is no need to cut off the bolts.

Morever, a lot of owners installed spacers only on rear wheels. What was the impact on handling / stability?
25mm is thick enough to completely cover the studs. Anything under 20mm you may have interference on the back side of the wheel. The OEM wheels have small pockets in the casting that can accomodate a little bit of stud protrusion, but not a lot. If you have to cut the studs, there's no way to "properly" put it on.
Since CR-Z has torsion beam rear suspension, geometry and torque on springs and dampers won't change if you use spacers, so it shouldn't affect steering.
This is a very short-sighted view of how steering geometry works. I've had 25mm spacers on only the back wheel and it most certainly does have a negative impact on the handling. The CRZ rear track is narrower than the front track. Adding spacers to only the rear makes it wider in the rear, and makes the steering a lot more "darty" and a lot less stable at high speeds (100+ km/h). Also, the turning circle got a little wider with spacers on the rear only.

Long story short, I am no longer running 25mm spacers on the rear only because it negatively impacted the handling

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dear All, thank you very much for your prompt replies and valuable info. I will take under serious consideration all the above before i proceed with any installation / modification. Best Regards, Vasileios

·
Registered
50 Posts
25mm is thick enough to completely cover the studs. Anything under 20mm you may have interference on the back side of the wheel. The OEM wheels have small pockets in the casting that can accomodate a little bit of stud protrusion, but not a lot. If you have to cut the studs, there's no way to "properly" put it on.

This is a very short-sighted view of how steering geometry works. I've had 25mm spacers on only the back wheel and it most certainly does have a negative impact on the handling. The CRZ rear track is narrower than the front track. Adding spacers to only the rear makes it wider in the rear, and makes the steering a lot more "darty" and a lot less stable at high speeds (100+ km/h). Also, the turning circle got a little wider with spacers on the rear only.

Long story short, I am no longer running 25mm spacers on the rear only because it negatively impacted the handling
Did you actually measure any of this or it might be a placebo effect?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Did you actually measure any of this or it might be a placebo effect?
For the spacers: I'm basing this on my first-hand experience with the spacers on my car, and the measurements that I took when settling on 25mm spacers.

For the rear track: according to Honda, the rear track is 0.5" narrower than the front. Add an inch to each side of the rear, and you're 1.5" wider on the rear.

·
Registered
50 Posts
For the spacers: I'm basing this on my first-hand experience with the spacers on my car, and the measurements that I took when settling on 25mm spacers.

For the rear track: according to Honda, the rear track is 0.5" narrower than the front. Add an inch to each side of the rear, and you're 1.5" wider on the rear.
I'm considering measuring the actual turning radius with and without spacers, I just need to find a good place where I can draw circles with chalk and then measure them. It won't be soon, but I might reply to this topic at some point in the future and let you know about the effects, because tbh, I've seen some claims on the inthernet that wider rear track increases turning circle, but I couldn't find any definitive proof and mathematical formulas that I've seen doesn't support this claim.

·
Premium Member
5,896 Posts
...For the rear track: according to Honda, the rear track is 0.5" narrower than the front. Add an inch to each side of the rear, and you're 1.5" wider on the rear.
2016 is slightly different with a 2ft. less curb-to-curb spec...

2016 CR-Z Turning diameter, curb-to-curb = 33.5
Wheel base = 95.9
front track = 59.6
rear track = 59.5

2013 CR-Z Turning diameter, curb-to-curb = 35.4
Wheel base = 95.6
front track = 59.6
rear track = 59.1

All model years:
Steering wheel-- Lock-to-Lock = 2.48
Steering Ration = 12.75

·
Registered
1,430 Posts

@Shamarskii

1 - 18 of 18 Posts