Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Honda says 35/39 roughly and all the car magazines review it at the same number yet a quick search in these forums turns up people getting 45 mph avg? What gives why the difference in #'s Honda is giving VS. real world drivers on these forums?

This would be a deal breaker for me if I know for a fact I can get 45mph that is a big difference from getting 38mpg.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It depends so very much on exactly how you drive this car, your driving styles will be able to swing the mileage in double-digit increments pretty near. I imagine it was difficult to come up with the estimate because of how much the driver variable effects this particular car. Its also tricky being that its a new model and not too many people have any serious amount of miles on their cars yet, so a lot of people are reporting mileage during engine break-in and its might not be consistant with mileage we will see once we have 20,000 miles on the cars. And maybe it will, but we don't know yet. You got some people driving in sport mode pedal to the floor all the time reporting around 30 MPG and then you have some people striving for max efficiency in their driving getting 40-50-? And anything in between for the rest of us doing a little of everything on engines with less than 5k miles. Its gonna take time and more miles to build up some accurate statistical MPG data. Meanwhile Honda cannot gurantee you 45 MPG in writing in a car with a split personality like the CRZ has. All they can do is give you the leaf game to play on the dash and hope that you play it :p If not, enjoy the red glow of the sport mode tach and the callenge of not getting at least 30 MPG while you zoom around. Its up to you and thats why I bought the car, because every time I turn the key I'm in a different mood :dancing:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Who is getting 45 mpg?

I believe only 1 of more than 200 members of this message board has ever averaged 45 mpg on a regular basis.

The average fuel economy of the CRZ is 38 mpg here and on fuelly is 38.5 mpg US

Keep in mind people from the UK post here as well, and the imperial gallon is 21% larger than a US gallon so 45 mpg UK = 37.5 mpg US

·
Registered
32 Posts
It depends so very much on exactly how you drive this car, your driving styles will be able to swing the mileage in double-digit increments pretty near.
I think this is spot on. I posted in another thread yesterday that I think many factors are at play (engine breakin, cold air temps, winter blend gas and driving style). I've been surprised at how low the reported numbers are. I think I just assumed that because it was a hybrid everyone getting one was going to drive it as though there was an egg under their foot. Based on what I see here, it sounds like most are actually buying this car for other reasons – styling (can’t blame them;-), it’s fun to drive etc.

I currently drive a 08 MT civic 4dr (I'm seriously toying with getting a MT CRZ- which is why I joined this forum). Over nearly the exact same daily commute, I can swing my overall tank avg from 27mpg on the low end (driving more aggressively, etc.) to nearly 40mpg- nearly 50% better. When I first got my car, I tried to my best to get good FE but really couldn’t muster more than about 32 mpg. It wasn’t until I got a Scangauge and wired a LED to my i-vtec solenoid that I really had the tools I needed to get 40+mpg. Note that I do almost 100% suburban driving.

I'm hopeful that we'll see many people getting into the 50's this summer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who is getting 45 mpg?

I believe only 1 of more than 200 members of this message board has ever averaged 45 mpg on a regular basis.

The average fuel economy of the CRZ is 38 mpg here and on fuelly is 38.5 mpg US

Keep in mind people from the UK post here as well, and the imperial gallon is 21% larger than a US gallon so 45 mpg UK = 37.5 mpg US
If you go through the entire thread reading everyones post in the main gas poll threat theres at least 10 people who said they have got 42-45 mpg not sure if that was their overall average though....

I guess the bottom line is you can expect a lifetime avg around 38 mpg if you do a good mix of highway/city and drive it like a normal everyday driver?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think this is spot on. I posted in another thread yesterday that I think many factors are at play (engine breakin, cold air temps, winter blend gas and driving style). I've been surprised at how low the reported numbers are. I think I just assumed that because it was a hybrid everyone getting one was going to drive it as though there was an egg under their foot. Based on what I see here, it sounds like most are actually buying this car for other reasons – styling (can’t blame them;-), it’s fun to drive etc.

I currently drive a 08 MT civic 4dr (I'm seriously toying with getting a MT CRZ- which is why I joined this forum). Over nearly the exact same daily commute, I can swing my overall tank avg from 27mpg on the low end (driving more aggressively, etc.) to nearly 40mpg- nearly 50% better. When I first got my car, I tried to my best to get good FE but really couldn’t muster more than about 32 mpg. It wasn’t until I got a Scangauge and wired a LED to my i-vtec solenoid that I really had the tools I needed to get 40+mpg. Note that I do almost 100% suburban driving.

I'm hopeful that we'll see many people getting into the 50's this summer.
I am in the same boat with my 08 Civic Si Sedan I get 27mpg avg and if all I do is drive around all day for my job so hitting 40mpg for me would make a big difference. The only slight problem I have holding me back is I don't quite understand why such a light 2 seat car has to be a hybrid in order to reach 40mpg if I walked off the street and just saw a sheet with #s I would think the CRZ should just be a standard car with no battery involved.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you go through the entire thread reading everyones post in the main gas poll threat theres at least 10 people who said they have got 42-45 mpg not sure if that was their overall average though....
Make sure you check the location of the posters, though. The UK uses a bigger gallon than the US, so their MPG ratings end up higher.

I guess the bottom line is you can expect a lifetime avg around 38 mpg if you do a good mix of highway/city and drive it like a normal everyday driver?
That's been my experience so far. Less in colder weather (but I've only had the car since mid-December, so I don't know how good it'll get in the summer).

Edit:
The only slight problem I have holding me back is I don't quite understand why such a light 2 seat car has to be a hybrid in order to reach 40mpg if I walked off the street and just saw a sheet with #s I would think the CRZ should just be a standard car with no battery involved.
Because it's not just a hybrid. It's a sporty hybrid - so some sacrifices were made for fun and performance. It's not the most fuel efficient car out there, and it's not the fastest, and it's not the lightest, or the cheapest - but IMO it's a really good balance if you're looking for a car that's more than one-dimensional.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It all depends on how and where you drove. I have been getting 40-42 winter driving, and back up closer to 45 as the weather is warming. I expect to stay in the 44-47 rang in warm weather. I have a 30 mile urban commute to work, Country highway and up and down hills. I drive most of the time in normal, and use Econ when in town. When the mood strikes I'll hit sport to enjoy the curvy roads. I drive with a light foot most of the time and have the 6 speed. I post my fuel on Fuelly.com.

·
Registered
282 Posts
So Honda says 35/39 roughly and all the car magazines review it at the same number yet a quick search in these forums turns up people getting 45 mph avg? What gives why the difference in #'s Honda is giving VS. real world drivers on these forums?

This would be a deal breaker for me if I know for a fact I can get 45mph that is a big difference from getting 38mpg.
So why buy this car if your main interest is to get 45 mpg? The Prius does better. Of course it costs considerably more too. And for me that's the whole point of this car and why I find it mysterious that people get this car and keep it in econ mode most of the time. But that's an individual thing. For me the greatest joy has been that I can keep this baby in Sport mode most of the time and still average 38-40 mpg. I've found that the biggest factors so far in varying the mileage have been 1. length of trip and 2. cold weather.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think that's what some are trying to figure out- is it a fun sporty car first or a hybird? I think the conclusion here is both- and both aspects are compromised a bit at the expense of the other.

What I don't get though is why Honda came out with the hybrid first? Why not start with a version built with one of the more powerful i4's they've got in the stable. I bet the R18 I have in my civic would be a blast in this light car and still achieve very similar mileage.

Then the hybrid could be dialed up a notch on the FE spectrum (aka a current gen CRX HF) - and on the other end you could bring in a SI version with a turbo or hi-rpm variant.

I know Honda is just stepping back into this category. I’m sure we’ll see lots of great variations over the next few years. I will say that I’m very glad Honda offers the MT option. The lack of an MT is why I bought the CivIc EX vs Hybrid a few years ago – and why I’ve not considered the Prius or Insight.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If the difference between 45mpg and 38mpg is a deal breaker for you then I'm with TCroly and I suggest you look elsewhere. You will probably be happier with one of many other hybrids, the Insight, Civic Hybrid, Prius... While I think its possible to average 45mpg with this car you are going to have to be a severe hypermiling nut to do so. However I can say at least on the manual transmission model the EPA estimates of 31city/37hwy are severly understated. I've been in several different types of "city" traffic situations, driving through downtown, etc and I cant think of a single city driving situation where I would get mpg as low as 31 unless I am driving like a complete idiot. Maybe if you went into an empty downtown area, got stopped at every red light and when it turned green you completely floored it then slammed the brakes after going 1000ft to the next light.

So, if you are looking for a fun little car that gets good fuel economy (about 38mpg) but still allows you to enjoy driving the the CR-Z is the car for you. If fuel economy is ALL you care about look elsewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I first bought the car, I drove around in sport mode and logged 32 mpg. I have since settled in to driving almost exclusively econ mode for freeway travel, with sport mode for special occasions, and my mph is 38. So, for me, driving in the different modes makes a huge difference. I enjoy driving the car in whichever mode because my mood dictates what I get the driving pleasure from.

Sometimes, I just enjoy seeing the green glow and big mpg numbers.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Normal for you is not normal for someone else, so who knows...

If your "normal" commute is 20 mins of 45-55 mph roads with few stops in warm weather... 45mpg may be easy to get.

If your "normal" commute is 5 mins of 20-35 mph roads with frequent stops in cold nasty weather you might only average 25 mpg.

The car seems to best at 45 to 55 mph, and it needs to warm up to be most efficient. How you drive is also important... but not as much as you might think...

I have been known to zip around on sport from time to time, blasting away from intersections and such, and still get 40+ due mostly to the fact that the roads are all 45 mph and the lights are far apart and timed so that you don't have to stop much...

Interstates tend to kill my fuel economy, as the speed limits around here are 75mph and most everybody drives a little faster. I get better fuel economy on the older hiways at 60mph. I have also driven on the interstate 41mpg one way and 30 mpg on the other just due to strong headwind/tailwinds.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Normal for you is not normal for someone else, so who knows...

If your "normal" commute is 20 mins of 45-55 mph roads with few stops in warm weather... 45mpg may be easy to get.

If your "normal" commute is 5 mins of 20-35 mph roads with frequent stops in cold nasty weather you might only average 25 mpg.

The car seems to best at 45 to 55 mph, and it needs to warm up to be most efficient. How you drive is also important... but not as much as you might think...

I have been known to zip around on sport from time to time, blasting away from intersections and such, and still get 40+ due mostly to the fact that the roads are all 45 mph and the lights are far apart and timed so that you don't have to stop much...

Interstates tend to kill my fuel economy, as the speed limits around here are 75mph and most everybody drives a little faster. I get better fuel economy on the older hiways at 60mph. I have also driven on the interstate 41mpg one way and 30 mpg on the other just due to strong headwind/tailwinds.
:thumbsup: Pretty much sums up my experience too, except sport is where I stay most of the time.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'd like to add (and I've posted this before on here too) WHERE you drive (as in the terrain/hills) has a huge impact on the MPG. In my experience, it's the #1 factor. I know because I have 3-4 "regular" routes I take that are all mostly highway, all in the 20-30 mile range, and all are almost all uphill (be it gradual or rolling) in one direction, and almost all downhill in the opposite direction (i.e. home to work is almost all uphill, and work to home is almost all downhill) and for the same route, same speed limit, same driving style (since I'm the driver), same traffic conditions, et cetera, I can easily average as much as 10+ MPG better on the downhill drives.

Gradual uphills KILL the MPG. If the road is downhill or mostly flat, I can easily keep the little indicator above the 50 MPG mark even when driving over 70 MPH.

We have over 18,600 miles on our CRZ, and the first couple months averaged ~38-39 MPG, but with the addition of snow tires, winter-blend fuel, "warming up" the car while scraping ice off the windows & more trips through drive-thru restaurants & ATMs to avoid the cold, it's dropped to about 32-34 MPG.

*fingers crossed* it goes up again in the summer :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am in the same boat with my 08 Civic Si Sedan I get 27mpg avg and if all I do is drive around all day for my job so hitting 40mpg for me would make a big difference. The only slight problem I have holding me back is I don't quite understand why such a light 2 seat car has to be a hybrid in order to reach 40mpg if I walked off the street and just saw a sheet with #s I would think the CRZ should just be a standard car with no battery involved.
Being a hybrid is why the city mpg is rated at 35 (cvt). There's some new car with a 40mpg highway rating, but if you look at it, I believe it had a sub 30 city rating.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.