Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son got driver license last November.
I bought the Honda Civic LX coupe for him.
A month later, I got the CRZ for myself.

He saw me mod this and that on my CRZ.
(lowering springs, CAI, DRL,...)

He said he wanted to do his car too.

I said is it necessary? (actually, I don't know what to say).

Anyone has good excuse for me?
Do you think it is a waste to mod on my son's car?

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
Answer as I understand the situation:

I bought you the car. You will need to work and pay for any modifications. As I paid for it (or maybe paying for it), all modifications will require my approval as they could impact safety and insurance.

If you do not like these restrictions - then quickly become self sufficient to where you do not need me to take care of you.

Mine enlisted in the AF and is now 1000% more mature and self sufficient and proud of himself and has learned since he is self sufficient - mom and dad actually give a little more. without asking...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He has the money.
Money is not the issue.
Either...
1. I do it for him. (I am a newbie too. I learned how to mod since I own the car)
2. He said he would pay auto shop. (should he learn how to by himself)

I am still not willing to let him mod on his car.
I told him if you want to do it, you need to learn it.
At least, the money is not wasted.
mod on Civic coupe... ugh.. doubled my unwillingness.

·
Registered
320 Posts
As a 20/yr old college student it doesn't seem like I should be throwing out any kind of parenting advice, but I can't help myself :p My thought would be, some mods are fine, they can be a lot of fun and I don't know what your situation is but I do all my automotive work with the help of my dad, partially because he has the garage with all the tools but also because its just fun and I think we both enjoy spending the time together. True they're may not be much point to modding a civic, but I know there has been little point to a lot of the mods I've done on my various vehicles. I guess its more about the expirience than anything.
If its still under warrenty I would draw a line at anythingt that could void it, same with anything that would hurt insurance because, well, you know how us youngters can be behind the wheel :pP:
I really don't see the point of paying a shop to do the work, if you arn't profesionally racing whats the point then?

·
Registered
664 Posts
i say as long as he pays for his own mods, let him do whatever. just try to get him to agree to something along the lines of if he buys something for the civic, he has to buy something for the cr-z haha

unless of course, seeing that you live in nj too, i can go to your house chuck-norris style and scare the living crap out of him about modding his car

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

His plan is to tint rear window first. (Yes. I like this. Not much money, not too hard and it can benefit for my CRZ too)
Then some blue head light. (I don't know what's that)
Lowering Springs. (I will ask him to study it)

He made the rotation and oil change yesterday and today.
Although it's not mod skill, he learned something.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
OEM Honda parts are almost always of higher quality, will last longer and fit better than aftermarket parts.

Aftermarket parts, and or any modifying will usually depreciate the car further if you decide to sell. They can also void warranties, and many aftermarket parts are not legal for use on the street.

Aftermarket parts usually draw a lot of unnecessary attention, from law enforcement, thieves, and vandalism.

And to be perfectly honest, most people just don't have good taste (or enough funding) when it comes to modifying automobiles. A lot of CRZs looked better on the showroom floor, than in the hands of some of these guys.

Also, I'm personally against any modifying that is done without proper knowledge, equipment, capability and experience. I haven't paid for labor in over eight years (more money for parts), but I wouldn't pay someone else to do it anyway. 'If you want something done right, do it yourself' is most true for car enthusiasts.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
HID headlights is what you're referring to... don't let him go higher than 8000k (color) b/c the rest are not only too bright, they can be illegal b/c of the tint it gives off...

springs can be tricky... on the Civic, 1.5" should be enough of a drop for most ppl... some ppl do 2.0" anything over that and for sure he'll be scraping the speed bumps/driveways/etc...

how about you post some pictures up in here :waiting:

·
Registered
12 Posts

That's a lot of spoiling. He has the money and it's not an issue. Then why do you need to have an excuse?

Where does the money come from?

Sounds like you are asking a parenting-related question, not so much what to tell him about the mods. (I don't even see why would there be any need to tell him anything about it), other than you control the money for mods?

I think you actually take away a lot from him by depriving him the opportunity to work and buy his own first car which he will love and remember for the rest of his life... not the car he was given without any effort.

That sends him a wrong message - that there are free things in life that he can expect. Well, that may work with you but sure won't work with the rest of the people in his life.

If he wants to mod the car, let him do it but don't sponsor it, it's an outrageous spoiling behavior.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I agree not to sponsor the mods, but our two boys have learned quite a bit about life and money from the process so I guess it's not all bad news. Our oldest has a long history of doing mods on all the cars he's bought. He started working at 15 and always paid his way on everything, and learned a great deal from having to undo mods! Some things he thought were safe brought him to police notice. Window tint that is legal can still get you pulled over and get you a ticket, and then you have to pay an expert to "grade" the tint so you get a document you can submit to the court to get the ticket reversed if the tint is legal, and loud exhaust and lowering can also bring you some headaches if you're young and driving late at night. Now that he's reached what he considers the advanced age of 26, he looks back and comments on how much money he wasted as other mods caused premature wear to the car and resulted in expenses. It's not keeping him from doing mods on his track car now, but he is much more careful about what he does. And what did our younger son learn? Not to do ANY mods on his car! :rotfl:

·
Registered
177 Posts
A month later, I got the CRZ for myself.

He saw me mod this and that on my CRZ.
(lowering springs, CAI, DRL,...)

He said he wanted to do his car too.

I said is it necessary? (actually, I don't know what to say).

Anyone has good excuse for me?
Do you think it is a waste to mod on my son's car?
There's lots of excuses, #1 being, the CRZ doesn't need to be modded. As another poster already stated, they usually only bring unwanted attention from vandals, thiefs, and the police. And most mods really serve no purpose other than the people doing them "think" that their car looks better and in "most" cases that is not true.

I think that a nice set of wheels looks nice, but the exhaust, lowering or raising the car, adding spoilers, etc,etc is all rather silly!

Only my opinion, and all you modders obviously disagree, but as I always say, if that's what you like then great for you!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
As long as he pays for the mods himself and doesn't do anything to the car that can't be undone when it comes time to sell the car.

I know my dad doesn't approve of half the mods I did to my Accord. But in the end it is my car, and it would take less then a days work to put the car back to stock. I love moding cars, and I would suggest that in stead of making excuses why he can't mod it you set some rules and work on the car with him. For example; it has to be street legal, SAFE and non-permanent. You may both learn something, and you spend time with your son.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.