Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently brought my CR-Z 2014 to the dealership's express service for an oil change and they stated that my battery needs to be replaced. This is my first hybrid car and I'm not sure what type of "battery" I needed to get to replace it with. They offered me a chance to do it there with their own stock batteries but I declined since I wanted to know if there was a cheaper option in replacing the battery.

They did a "GR8" test upon it and it measured 242 CCA when the rated is 340 CCA.

I was wondering what type of battery do I need and is it easy to replace? (Not referring to the IMA battery)

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Whatever 151R battery your nearest or cheapest outlet has. No need for a "gold" or "AGM" or other upselling crap. If you have an independent battery shop, take your business there. Otherwise, WalMart, Chief, O'Reilly, Pep Boys, Canadian Tyre, whatever. The Z has virtually no use for a fancy 12V battery- it does no cranking, nor does it endure a heavy amperage load. Should run your about $120 or so.

You will need your radio code. Although I've never heard of a Z radio being stolen.

Do not let the battery touch your clothing.

·
Super Moderator
5,941 Posts
Whatever 151R battery your nearest or cheapest outlet has. No need for a "gold" or "AGM" or other upselling crap. If you have an independent battery shop, take your business there. Otherwise, WalMart, Chief, O'Reilly, Pep Boys, Canadian Tyre, whatever. The Z has virtually no use for a fancy 12V battery- it does no cranking, nor does it endure a heavy amperage load. Should run your about $120 or so.

You will need your radio code. Although I've never heard of a Z radio being stolen.

One possible correction doesn't the "emergency" starter use the under hood battery when the IMA is depleted and can't start the car?

To the OP when they handed you the test slip did it show an RPM? if it did then they did the test wrong as the car cannot be running or the battery has to be disconnected. Do you have any signs they disconnected the battery?

At least they load tested it. But they may have either tested it wrong or worse just tried to talk you into a battery just because. I would have an independent place Load test it to confirm the battery needs a new one.

Usually you have some sign the battery is failing see this thread( there are many others)

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/general-discussion/87258-192-000-miles-s-dead.html

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
If you live in a cold climate, just swap it with a 51R battery. They will just need to cut a very small lip on the bottom battery tray.

I live in the cold part of the country, so during winter this battery has helped me out a ton when its cold enough for the manual starter to kick on.

Also, 51R batteries are cheaper, more available, etc.

I bought an Everstart Maxx from walmart and have been 100% impressed with it. Very good battery, and if you ever need to swap it its 3 years no questions asked. Plus, there are wally worlds everywhere you can swap it at.

Check out my thread:

http://www.crzforum.com/forum/engine-battery-discussion/75489-upgrade-51r-battery-worth.html

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
One possible correction doesn't the "emergency" starter use the under hood battery when the IMA is depleted and can't start the car?
Yes. Neither of my Zs ever used the cave-man starter, 60K on my first one. And I don't think we've had five users here who have ever used the conventional starter.

As I've mentioned in other battery threads, very close to all batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls.

I've never looked into the 51 replacement idea. But it shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just did the 51R replacement, including cutting off the end of the plastic tray. My CRZ wouldn't start on a morning when the air was around -10F and the car had been sitting for the previous three days. I couldn't turn the engine over even after my charger said the battery was was full (and that charge cycle was much faster than it should have been). Probably it had almost no capacity left. It might have been the original battery, now over 4 years old, and if so, well overdue to replace.

The bigger replacement saved me a few shekels, and it spun the engine up immediately with whatever charge was in it from the auto parts store. I don't fully understand what the 12v battery gets used for -- maybe the IMA would have been used to start the car if it hadn't been sitting so long? Anyway I clearly needed it this week, and living in a place that occasionally gets bitter cold, I like the idea of having some more reserve current available in that box.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
.... the air was around -10F ....
Yow! [I am not having fun!]
I don't fully understand what the 12v battery gets used for
Don't look now, but neither do any of the rest of us, really. Despite reading all the Honda low-down on it. Litz will claim he understands it, but we all know he's a terrible liar. Koala Yummies probably had the answer, but since he's run away from us like a little girl, the storehouse of his knowledge has been locked away from us like the truth behind Project Blue Book.
-- maybe the IMA would have been used to start the car if it hadn't been sitting so long? Anyway I clearly needed it this week, and living in a place that occasionally gets bitter cold, I like the idea of having some more reserve current available in that box.
From what I've pieced together, the IMA is the starting current for the IMA motor/charger/starter/regenerative brake, and the 12V is used to "wake up" and ready it and other circuitry for their duties. There's a thread about using the IMA battery to give the 12V a boost by having the key on for about ten minutes, but the one time I might have been able to use that, I had another jumper car right at hand, and hadn't heard about the trick.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I just did the 51R replacement, including cutting off the end of the plastic tray. My CRZ wouldn't start on a morning when the air was around -10F and the car had been sitting for the previous three days. I couldn't turn the engine over even after my charger said the battery was was full (and that charge cycle was much faster than it should have been). Probably it had almost no capacity left. It might have been the original battery, now over 4 years old, and if so, well overdue to replace.

The bigger replacement saved me a few shekels, and it spun the engine up immediately with whatever charge was in it from the auto parts store. I don't fully understand what the 12v battery gets used for -- maybe the IMA would have been used to start the car if it hadn't been sitting so long? Anyway I clearly needed it this week, and living in a place that occasionally gets bitter cold, I like the idea of having some more reserve current available in that box.
This is why I did it. We have now had a full week of temps that didn't get above 10 degrees and it has paid off!! My car starts every time while using the manual starter and has no issues. Before, it would have been dead within 2 tries using the 151R.

Gotta love the extra battery reserve power too! Keeps my heated seats happy :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just replaced my battery at advance used a 30% online order code that took off 50$ used my in store credit that took off 5$ used an old battery I had as core and then gave them my semi good battery for 20$ in store credit. Originally $180 with core and paid $75. I was interested when the store associate showed me a lithium battery some civics use that was only about a pound, but of course would require modifying battery cables.

·
Registered
17 Posts
... I don't think we've had five users here who have ever used the conventional starter....
For what it's worth -- during our current cold snap, my car has chosen to use the conventional starter every morning. But even at -20F, as it was early Monday, the new battery does the job without complaint, so that's some peace of mind even if it does sound like a lawn mower starting up.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
... I don't think we've had five users here who have ever used the conventional starter....
For what it's worth -- during our current cold snap, my car has chosen to use the conventional starter every morning. But even at -20F, as it was early Monday, the new battery does the job without complaint, so that's some peace of mind even if it does sound like a lawn mower starting up.
Right!! I actually kinda like how it starts as it comes to life. Definitely has its own tone!! Lawnmower sounding for sure!

The 51R is the way to go!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Wrong`O'!, MaryLou ~ mine just drop'd its voltage wad @ SONIC Drive-In, last night. -[ wife left headlights on, :30+ min.s ]- Batt. proved out 2B at only 20% of its capacity (to start engine) ...
So `How was that again'??, about it not cranking anything?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Wrong`O'!, MaryLou ~ mine just drop'd its voltage wad @ SONIC Drive-In, last night. -[ wife left headlights on, :30+ min.s ]- Batt. proved out 2B at only 20% of its capacity (to start engine) ...
Things may have changed a bit in the nearly 3 years since @Defiant posted that.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
What Defiant was referring to is that the 12V is not doing any of the heavy lifting to start the car. the IMA battery does that with a wakeup voltage from the 12V.

my 12v battery tested at 55CCA and 11.5V when it died, and it still started the car every day. Compared to a car where the starter runs off the 12V battery, that would barely get you a click from turning the key, let alone trying to turn over the engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts