Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

What transmission will you pick for your CR-Z?

• CVT automatic transmission

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • 6 speed manual transmission

Votes: 114 69.1%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had two 06 Si's and really enjoyed the 6 spd tranny. This was as close as I got to owning a "sporty car". After a year of both Si's, I got over the exciting experience of the 6 spd and became weary of constantly shifting gears. I traded up to an 08 V6 Accord Cpe. The V6 Accord turned out to be not so good on gas. The car was very noisy on the hwy. I now drive a 09 Civic EX-L Cpe and very satisfied with the perfect balance of everything about the car; from quality, mpg to power of the 1.8. This will be a keeper for awhile. Speculating on the CRZ CVT for its newness, technology and mpg. I have to wait and test drive one, and maybe wait a year for the 2012 or 2013 models. Hoping for a larger engine (1.8 or 2.0). The CRZ is slightly lighter than my Civic, so the slightly larger engine will really compliment the sportiness even at a small sacrifice of mpg. I like the Navi and rear camera. Hoping for leather seats, heated seats and heated outside mirror.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Last stick I had was a 996 911, and it was perfect... Then I got a 335 ic BMW auto with paddles (just like the Cr-Z), so I'm opting for the auto trans... Based on what I have seen on you-tube it's zippy with auto on sport mode... (which is likely where I'll keep it, most of the time...)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Curious about CVT Paddle Shifter Performance

I'm very curious about the CR-Z CVT paddle shifter performance. If I commit to the car, I'm looking at it as a daily commuter and the benefits of good MPG. However, the car will also need to offer weekend fun. I've always owned manual trans cars, but autos now offer better MPG (and I need a left knee replacement). I've tested the Insight EX with the CVT with paddle shifter (simulated 7-speed). It was . . . interesting. Hopefully, the CR-Z will have a little more "punch."

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've had a CVT Jazz (Fit) for 7 years now, and I've switched over to simulated 7 speed mode a total of 2 times I think. Once to try it, and once to test it was still working after forgetting it for 6.5 years. If the CR-Z is the same thing then I wonder who will actually use the 7 speed mode. The whole point of CVT is that it is constantly variable and without gear-steps, and I found shoe-horning fake gear ratios into it was just a gimmick (and something to put on the steering wheel).

I'm not dissing automatic mode, I was actually after another automatic this time around and only considered Manual because we only get the CR-Z in manual over here. Now I'm glad it forced me to try manual again, I've forgotten how good it is to feel in control again.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I think the poll results suggest that Honda got the allocations mixed up and that if the car takes off there will be some crazy demand for the manual.

That said, if I drove more stop/go traffic and traffic jams, I would have considered the CVT. But my knees are still good and I prefer to roll my own. ;)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I test drove both. I'm coming from an '04 STi, '07 TL-S and '08 FJ Cruiser all with 6mt transmisions.

That said, I bought one yesterday with a CVT. My sister has a Civic Hybrid so I got to try the CVT out years ago. I told myself if I ever get a hybrid, it's gotta have the CVT.

I love it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I test drove both. I'm coming from an '04 STi, '07 TL-S and '08 FJ Cruiser all with 6mt transmisions.

That said, I bought one yesterday with a CVT. My sister has a Civic Hybrid so I got to try the CVT out years ago. I told myself if I ever get a hybrid, it's gotta have the CVT.

I love it.
What's been lacking here - detailed comments on the paddle shifter option on the CVT. I've driven manuals all my life (although I have a Civic auto in the household), but I'd like to hear how those who've had MT cars have adapted. I had a brief test drive with a CVT, but my salesman (and passenger) is - lets say - not a small person. I didn't have time to fully explore the CVT. It didn't thrill me. Since CVTs are more plentiful, get a little better MPG, and may ultimately cost less than an MT - I may reconsider. Any CVT owners want to comment?

Also, what's CR-Z acceleration like vs. 140hp Civic - both MT and Auto?

·
Registered
314 Posts
What's been lacking here - detailed comments on the paddle shifter option on the CVT. I've driven manuals all my life (although I have a Civic auto in the household), but I'd like to hear how those who've had MT cars have adapted. I had a brief test drive with a CVT, but my salesman (and passenger) is - lets say - not a small person. I didn't have time to fully explore the CVT. It didn't thrill me. Since CVTs are more plentiful, get a little better MPG, and may ultimately cost less than an MT - I may reconsider. Any CVT owners want to comment?

Also, what's CR-Z acceleration like vs. 140hp Civic - both MT and Auto?
Just got my CVT EX w) navi last night. Can't comment on paddle shifters or the manual transmission performance. As for the shifters on the auto, I presume I'll use them about as little as I used "sport mode shifting" in my last car, an automatic 2002 Mazda Protege5... used sport shift for the novelty off and on for maybe a week, and didn't touch it thereafter! However, I'm your exact opposite-- never drove a stick in my life, and don't see myself ever doing so. Probably 80% or more of my driving takes place during Baltimore suburbs' horrible rush hour commute periods, which makes more than half my ~15-mile commute stop-and-go of various levels of pain and annoyance. :cry: I am auto, and it is me!

As for the cost, the CVT model is a little higher than the manual ($650 MSRP difference, at least on the EX model). The stated 3mpg difference in listed average fuel economy - favoring the CVT model - is an offset to the cost difference over time, so I think it's just a matter of preference in terms of personal choice of transmission type. By the way, I have to say that the sport mode offers a much stronger speed boost than I had expected. On the way home last night a big SUV did a leftmost turn lane to rightmost turn lane (occupied by us an our brand new CR-Z!) moron maneuver in front of us to get the right turn to the expressway eastbound. Annoyed, I kicked the car into sport mode after taking the eastbound exit, and went around them in a rapid burst of speed. :thumbsup: Friggin oblivious "my vehicle is bigger so I can do what I want" drivers!!! :angry:

Transmission type - to each their own!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dougal,

Congratulations on your new CR-Z!

I'm not yet an owner, but I'm looking at late October or early November when my current lease ends. I'm lucky, my commute is about 15 miles (mostly highway) with moderate traffic. My ride home (almost always after rush) affords me the opportunity to take back roads. It's tough for me to move away from the manual. I'm certain that the 6-speed will have that extra kick that the CVT lacks. Unfortunately, sports (and now age!) have ruined my knees - so I should consider the CVT.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.