Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
7,672 Posts
I have added your posting to the Sticky for this subject. All of your questions have been answered in this thread and many others all over this forum.

Hi all. I'm considering buying a CR-Z and have several basic questions...

What are the pros/cons of owning one? Should I stay away or dive in?

Any common issues or faults that I should look out for when checking out a used CR-Z?

Main differences between the various trim options/packages?

Differences/improvements between model years?

How long do those old hybrid batteries last for?

I heard, the 2012? 2013? CR-Z's introduced an improved battery pack? Is this true? I'll be looking at JDM models, so I guess a USDM 2013 would be a JDM 2012??

Anything else you wish you knew before buying one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everybody,

I'm new to this Forum and to the CR-Z. I just got my driver's license and was searching the internet for my first car when I found the CR-Z and pretty much fell in love with it.

I've done some research and also read a few posts in this forum about what to look out for and found the following issues that may occur:
-low battery (the one under the hood)
-something about an airbag issue (don't specifically know what it's about though)
-having to change the battery in the back quite a lot
Aaand that's pretty much what I found. If you know of any other common issue/s please let me know.

The car is listed as a 2015 Honda CR-Z 1.5i Hybrid GT although 2015 is just the year when it was registered, so I don't exaclty know the make. Anyways, it's listed for about 9'260 USD (1 yr. warranty & winter tires included) and got around 97'000 km or 60'300 miles. I know the price seems a bit high but the cr-z is a bit rare where I live, only 27 are for sale right now in the whole country.
It's also got a Mugen grill & spoiler:

What do you guys think/recommend? I would love to hear your opinion!

·
Administrator
7,672 Posts
Hello everybody,

I'm new to this Forum and to the CR-Z. I just got my driver's license and was searching the internet for my first car when I found the CR-Z and pretty much fell in love with it.

I've done some research and also read a few posts in this forum about what to look out for and found the following issues that may occur:
-low battery (the one under the hood)
-something about an airbag issue (don't specifically know what it's about though)
-having to change the battery in the back quite a lot
Aaand that's pretty much what I found. If you know of any other common issue/s please let me know.

The car is listed as a 2015 Honda CR-Z 1.5i Hybrid GT although 2015 is just the year when it was registered, so I don't exaclty know the make. Anyways, it's listed for about 9'260 USD (1 yr. warranty & winter tires included) and got around 97'000 km or 60'300 miles. I know the price seems a bit high but the cr-z is a bit rare where I live, only 27 are for sale right now in the whole country.
It's also got a Mugen grill & spoiler:

What do you guys think/recommend? I would love to hear your opinion!
Battery in the back is not a common issue. battery under the hood is. The IMA battery only 3 members have had to ever replace one. There was an Airbag recall for the one in the steering wheel. Some of us had to wait months for a replacement.

Read this thread:

There are hundreds of threads on this forum. Instead of making a new thread you could have added to an existing one. if it is a 2015 or at least 2013 or newer it maybe a LI-ION as opposed to NIMH car which will be more expensive and rarer. The interior color looks incorrect for that year but there were variations due to where it was sold. if steering wheel has an S+ button it is a LI-ION car if not it is NIMH. Mileage seems a bit low which could be an issue but probably not. To find the year look at the sticker inside the drivers door on the door frame that will tell you model year or year built. Or get the Vin and use one of the many online VIN decoders.

Take a look at https://www.kbb.com/ or the NADA Values | Used Car Values | Car Book Values sites to figure out if the price is reasonable for where you are and the actual condition of the car. Any warning lights walk away.

I have added your inquiry to the existing discussion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.. I’m looking at getting a CR Z.. don’t know much about them.. any advice on what to look out for.. I’m based in the UK West Midlands near Birmingham. Have read that they upgraded the battery pack after 2012? Much difference? Can these cars run without the battery? How much are the batteries to replace? Can they be refurbished/re-celled? Reliability? Thanks in advance.. Rob

·
Administrator
7,672 Posts
2 things, please make your topics for posts more descriptive, second always search before posting.

Most new posters ask about the Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) battery. Only 3 members have had to replace one(yet). All of the questions have been asked and answered 100s of times. Yes, it can run without the hybrid battery but if the IMA system is not working then the under hood battery does not charge and you are on the side of the road. Vehicle has no alternator! see CR-Z has no alternator, is that right ?

As for anything Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) battery related please see the excellent well written postings by @PeterPerkins He has done extensive work with the battery pack and is the most knowledgeable about upgrading and maintaining it. The NIMH batteries you have more options. The LI-ION are newer (2013-16) and not as modifiable per him. They are also rarer. Most CR-Zs are the 2010-12 models with the NIMH battery and AFAIK in the UK the LI-ION cars have a high premium price attached to them as there were fewer of them sold in the UK than the US. The rarest of them all is the 2016 which the interior and many parts were changed(other than the drive-train). I do not think they were available in the UK.

You can forget it is a hybrid!

CR-Z is a niche, Low production, rare, and now discontinued vehicle. You need to drive a few of them( each is an individual) and decide for yourself if it is the vehicle for you.

I added your posting to the existing thread. Go read the rest of this thread and the 100s of others on all these topics. If you buy one please post in the introduction section.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi im very close to getting a 2011 crz ex and have a few worries about it.
1. it has 161k miles on it. is it even worth getting one with that millage?
2. the seats and buttons on the dash for the AC and driving modes are a little but faded. How and where could i replace those?
3. The car is $7,500

·
Administrator
7,672 Posts
There are many on this forum with over 300K on the car they are still being driven today. You can order replacement panels with all the buttons or just live with it . See the web sites that tell what a car is worth referenced above. Every area is different. Since you are not in the US all of the sites i would recommend for new and used parts are worthless to you. If you have worries then do not buy this one try to find the best example you can. vehicle is over 10 years old all CR-Z are one of one. They will have wear and tear and imperfections. If you are looking for perfect buy new.
Prices for all vehicles is crazy right now due to the world wide chip shortage and the pandemic. All vehicles got a price boost due to that. Add that to not being in the US I have no Idea what cars cost there. Use all Internet sources to determine what a vehicle in that condition actually costs. Read above for all the things to look for and what affects price.

To replace just the drive mode buttons the price is as shown below from Genuine OEM Honda Parts and Accessories Online - Honda Parts Now
Rectangle Font Circle Pattern Paper

In my opinion if just faded why bother replacing. The ac control is almost $900.
There are lots of postings on the buttons yellowing. 10 years of UV light it is expected.
Hi im very close to getting a 2011 crz ex and have a few worries about it.
1. it has 161k miles on it. is it even worth getting one with that millage?
2. the seats and buttons on the dash for the AC and driving modes are a little but faded. How and where could i replace those?
3. The car is $7,500

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am based in newzealand

what year model should I buy and approximate how much milage ??

here mostly year 2010, 2011, 2012 onwards models are available

ketan

No sorry its CR-Z

·
Administrator
7,672 Posts
I have added your additions to the existing thread. If you really want a CR-Z this forum is the place to find out about them. Everything you could possibly want to know is in this forum and a simple search will reveal all the possibilities.

Another good general thread to peruse is ABC's for the CR-Z
CR-Z were sold from 2010-2016 with three distinct changes over the years. 2010-12 was NIMH Batteries, 2013-15 LI-ION battery and standard back up camera was added. 2016 was a one year car very rare has push to start completely different interior , radio ( added lane watch) and many other one year changes.

They were always rare, low production, quirky, odd cars that are now discontinued. Parts are starting to get hard to find.

Some common questions
Can the CR-Z run 100% electric? NO
Is the IMA (integrated Motor Assist (AKA Hybrid)) Battery a frequent replacement Item? This is also a No, only 3 members have ever had to replace the Big IMA battery in the back.
Do you have to plug it in to charge it ? This is also a No. A CR-Z is a light hybrid it uses the IMA system to extend range, charge the IMA battery and provide some of the power. There is no way to plug it in to charge. A CR-Z with a dead IMA battery is a dog. It reverts to a 1.5 liter gas powered vehicle and if the IMA motor generator has issues then the under hood battery will die frequently as that is how it is charged.

3 well known issues are the outside door handles break (The Door Handle Issue , Door Handle Parts Thread and others) the other common issue is a whole series of lights on the dash including IMA, traction control and others. Usually this the the under hood battery has failed ,just replace that first (or at least load test it) then if warnings still persist have a dealer trouble shoot the actual issues. But most of the time due to the fact we have no alternator (CR-Z has no alternator, is that right ?) the under hood battery is the culprit. IMA cooling fan fails with a P1448 code. Many threads on this P1448 Bad IPU IMA Hybrid Cooling Fan Motor ... Can it be... is just one that gives directions on how to repair it or substitute parts from other mode Honda's.

CR-Z do not like sit unused for long periods of time. They all have a sticker under the hood that says to drive it at least once a month for the health of the (IMA) battery. I suggest drive it once a month continuous 30 minute drive for the health of both batteries and if you are not using it a lot and it has to sit put the under hood battery on a charger maintainer. For other things to do to recondition or improve the IMA battery read the postings written by @PeterPerkins

Once you have read a bit on the forum if you have any specific questions please ask in an existing thread or if a unique question make a thread.

Welcome!

Once you buy one please make a new member thread and tell us more about you , your CR-Z and we love pictures here.

No sorry its CR-Z

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
As an original owner I haven't had to deal with this but the things I'd look for now given that most of these probably aren't original owners anymore is how much the car has been ** with. 12V battery, new brake pads, fluids; these are regular maintenance items and vehicle maintenance is to be expected no matter who owned it previously. No big deal.

Not normal however is how much the vehicle has been drooled in by a simpleton. Cheap, tacky, spur-of-the-moment what-can-I-afford-this-weekend type 'mods'. No concise planing or thought process. Ebay/amazon never-head-of-before manufactured parts. Brand names like Alla Lighting, Aohuang, Luxerad, Alvey Tech, Autosaver88, A-Team Performance, ACANII, Upgr8, and Weapon R (the most popular Amazon brands often start with the letter "A" like they're still choosing their company name based on alphabetical placement in the phone book or some ****). Plasti dipped emblems, spray painted or tire shop floor-model motegi-like wheels, colored lights, bubbly purple window tint, excessive tool marks on bolt heads, heavily scratched up interior plastic, skid marks on driver seat; these are warning signs that car might have some underlying hidden BS waiting for you.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts