Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a dilemma... I drive an 04 RX-8 which i love. The car is amazing, gets lots of compliments, has many features and drives amazing. Problem is i only get 15 mpg at best and that's easy driving. Also, my warranty expires next month. Car has 65000 miles on it. Iv had it for 4 years now and am looking to buy the CRZ but hate to part out with my rx8 for fear i may not enjoy the crz nearly as much as i do my present car. I took the CRZ for a test drive but how much can you actually enjoy the car based on a 10 min drive?
So i got approved for the loan for the car and as soon as i sell my rx8, ill have the difference for the CRZ but every time i drive my RX8, i have doubts.
I need reasons to sell my car in order to switch to the Honda. The pluses and minuses that i found so far are

Rx8 pros:
--powerful engine
--looks awesome for a 7 year old car
--fully loaded (power everything), leather interior, sunroof, heated seats, navi, etc...
--seats 4 thanks to the suicide doors
--So far no problems (electrical/mechanical) as the car runs and drives perfectly
--Only 3 moving engine parts (engine has an 8 year/100K mile warranty)
--aftermarket parts such as rims, bluetooth, auto start alarm
rx8 neg:
--mileage getting higher. at present time it has 65xxx miles on it
--no more warranty next month unless i renew for 2500 dollars
--only 15 mpg
--will only get ~13K if i sell it.

Whats a guy to do? I need help to make a decision. Here are pics of my current vehicle:

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
interesting dilemma you got there... while i agree there's more to a car than mpg, i'd ONLY accept getting 15mpg if i was driving a +400hp FACTORY car... my friend has an '11 M3 and gets around 17-18mpg... my other friend had a GT-R that got around 22-23mpg... other friend with M6 gets around 15-16mpg... do you see where i'm going here??

i'm curious to know if the RX8 is paid off or you still have a loan on it? don't answer if u don't want to, but that would weigh in my judgment too... you can look at it as the gas to "new financing" difference...

since this is a CR-Z forum, you're probably gonna get some biased feedback... i do not personally own a CR-Z, but i'd definitely lose the RX8 and get a CR-Z... save some money on the sale of the RX8 for a few mods, right away, on the CR-Z and you'll have a very competent car in terms of fun...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Heh, gotta admit, in your shoes I would try my hardest to find a way to have both.

Anyways,

A pro for financing a new car, any new car, right now:
The interest rates on new cars are about as low as they are ever going to get.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had an EVO X MR prior to our CR-Z. But life changes prevaile (more traveling) and we are much in a better place. We got a great car but fun factor will depend on where you are driving. Autocross any ride and it will be fun! just me.

·
Registered
693 Posts
You say that you need reasons to buy a Honda. Let's start with the fact that a new Honda is going to be rock solid reliable. RX Mazdas are wonderful sports cars, but one thing that they have proven to be over the past 30 years is pretty unreliable especially those with higher miles. If you keep the RX8 start putting money away for future expensive repairs.

Second, would be the fuel economy savings. It looks like you drive about 10,000 miles per year. Based on your report of 15 mpg, that means you use 667 gallons of gas per year in your RX8. Assuming 38 mpg in a new CRZ, you would use 263 gallons of gas per year. That means you save the cost of 404 gallons of gas. So multiply this 404 by the cost of gas in your area for your annual savings.

You don't get a back seat in the CRZ, but you do get a it more cargo space than offered in the RX8.

I think you may miss the incredible handling of the RX8, but the RX8 really lacks torque, so I doubt that you will miss power.

I owned 2 RX7s and always wanted an RX8, but I could never live with it's fuel economy and generally problem prone nature. One thing the RX8 has going for it is it's uniqueness. The CRZ also carries this uniqueness.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have a similar situation with my cars. My Boxster gets about 16mpg.

So, I went with both...and guess what? I haven't even driven the Porsche since I got this car, nor do I want to! I am planning to turn it in at end of lease.

I never thought a slow car would make me happy but the crz truly does.

To estimate your fuel savings check out my fuelly page. Porsche has been garaged since I took delivery of the crz on 1/23....and I still have spent more on fuel on it!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Using EPA average figures it will cost you about $1600 more in fuel per year to drive the RX-8 over a 6-speed CR-Z. Factor in the rising gas prices and that number may rise.

A new Honda may cost you roughly $10,000 on top of the sale for a loaded EX w/Navigation. So the Honda may pay for itself within 6-7 years.

·
Registered
155 Posts
you could do like I am doing with my 370z and turn it into a track only weekend HPDE car and enjoy both of them.
That is a good idea. I do not know long long the RX-8 engines last, but many of the other rotarys will see 100k before they go. The interesting thing though is that they get about the same lifespan on the track. I was reminded that these cars are not brand new when I watched one start to sputter out on the track this weekend, time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was in the same boat, my Jeep get around 13 mpg and runs premium, so I paid it off in October and picked up the crz in November but It sits right next to my jeep in the driveway because I just couldn't get rid of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx for the suggestions. The RX-8 is paid for but i cant afford both cars. The insurance quote i got was pretty much the same but that's with full coverage on the CRZ and liability, theft and fire on the RX8. It seems everyone agrees on the mpg of the CRZ where it will save me money in the long run especially if fuel prices continue to increase. But is that enough to buy a new crz? For a few less MPG at the same price as a Honda, there are many other cars i can buy with more features, better handling and better warranty.
I'm not into tracking the car nor am into speed. the main reason why i bought the RX8 was for its looks and handling. The gas was not much of decision factor when i got it. The horsepower certainly doesn't justify the MPG on the RX8 as the corvette with double its HP gets the same mileage but if you look at it from a different perspective, the rotary engine is not popular so technology regarding fuel efficiency VS a regular engine is comparable to that of the industrial revolution and star trek (which by the way is a great show :thumbsup:).
OK, well i guess i have to make a decision sooner rather than later so ill keep you guys posted. Thanx again for help.

·
Premium Member
5,333 Posts
not for nothing, a very lightly modded +06 Si could easily keep up with an RX8 and i EASILY got 27mpg combined beating, i mean driving in mine...

i really had no idea the RX8's were that inefficient... they don't look bad, but knowing that mpg spec, i wouldn't give it a second thought to buy... IMHO of course :hi5:

·
Registered
807 Posts
It's not just about speed though - my last 5 cars were all performance cars of 300HP+ and this car is my favorite by far.

I realize that sounds crazy. I never thought I'd like a slow car...but I like this one.

From that perspective I feel Honda achieved their "sport hybrid" goal.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
i find it insane that the rx-8 gets 15mpg, and i know that's real because my friend had one. the car has a 1.5L motor FFS! get the Z, i get compliments EVERYWHERE. it's not as fast, but it's still awesome. i traded from an 06 GT, so ya.

·
Registered
261 Posts
thats much worse than a corvette then. my 05 C6 got 27.5 on the highway and 21 just driving around town. 7 on the racetrack.

Financially, your best bet would be to just keep the RX8 and bank what you would be spending on payments., but who wants to do that?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.