Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

What tires?

3K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  Tcampbell 
#1 ·
Not too good at using this site yet. Went to community search and got zilch so here goes. What are the best tires for the Z? I live in central Florida so no snow. I am looking for quiet and long lasting. I am a conservative driver. I think wider looks a bit better so if that is possible, great but quiet and long lasting is a must. Thanks.

#2 ·
I am on my second set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season plus tires in the stock size of 195/65 R16 87V and am pretty happy with them compared to the Dunlops the car came with stock. They are highly rated all season tires. Dunlops were worn out at approximately 25K miles. Car was purchased new. Second set was put on at about 70 K miles.

#3 ·
Thank you SB. One more question. I have read the manual, searched u tube and Google and I can not figure out how to get my headrest off. Cant find a button anywhere. The strap is off and the headrest moves up about an inch but thats it. There is no button and I have searched all around and pushed everything. This will teach you how to cuss! Does the headrest NOT come all the way off? They are just a bit too far forward for me.

#4 ·
I do not believe it comes off it is part of the seat. Next time I am at my car on the weekend I will investigate some more. It is also part of the restraint system. Angle the seat back and adjust height of the seat to find a position that works for you.

#5 ·
Yeah, the head rest comes off. It's a bit tricky, but I think the info is in the Owner's Manual. Basically, you've removed the strap that is a trick in itself, but it clips together via magnet, for those who haven't released it yet.

After releasing the strap, you can lift and move the head rest up and forward an inch or so. That will give you enough room to slip your finger/thumb under the head rest, between the strap you removed and the chrome bar that goes into the seat. Push the switch/tab/lever at the base of the underside of the head rest in--towards the chrome bar--and it will release easily (at that point.)

#6 ·
Thank you litz. I got it off. It was just locating the sliding button. I read somewhere that a guy bent the 2 bars back X degrees and reinstalled the headrest. Not a big difference but enough to get it off the back of his head. Those things are pretty stout so that would be a job. Is it crazy to consider that?

#7 ·
Man, they'd be tough to bend, but I'd try it, and see if it helps. I don't have an issue with mine being too far forward, but if you do, and it makes it more comfortable, it's not crazy at all, lol.

#9 ·
Whenever I'm "fabricating" something that consists of the possible destruction of an OEM part, I always buy a spare before I go head long into it. I'm sure you can find a cheap set of head rests to practice on. I'm thinking that @ITEM9 had a set he was selling. If he doesn't reply to this, remind me to ask him, if you're interested.

#11 ·
Looks like he already sold them, was asking $40 each, $70 for the pair, just to give you an idea on the price if you find any others for sale.

#13 ·
As far as tires are concerned, I'm partial to General RT43s, if you can find the proper size. And from experience, 215/50-16 inch tires look great and handle well but start to negatively impact fuel mileage a bit. Also, @pongoro87 or @d1giPhux may be able to help with the headrests as well.

#14 ·
As far as tires are concerned, I'm partial to General RT43s, if you can find the proper size. And from experience, 215/50-16 inch tires look great and handle well but start to negatively impact fuel mileage a bit. Also, @pongoro87 or @d1giPhux may be able to help with the headrests as well.
Thank you Fediej. I have had this car for two weeks. It has 27,000 miles on it and the Honda dealer where I took it to get it inspected said that I will need tires soon. It has Dunlops on it now which I assume came with the car from the dealer when it was bought new. 27,000 miles and almost needs new tires seems like awfully short life for Dunlops. Are these cars notoriously tough on tires?

#15 ·
It's not that they're overly tough on tires, just the tires they came with arguably(especially the Dunlops) aren't that great to begin with. And even though yours may only have 27,000 miles on them, depending on how old they are, there could be deterioration, dry rotting, etc. And who knows what the previous owner put them through.

#23 ·
I had two sets of Falken tires which are great and sticky, but they wear out before their rated 50k. I now have about 10k on a set of Continentals one size wider than what was recommended. Have a better ride but is easy to squeal upon moderate corners or quick pulls.

#26 ·
As wide as your can find and afford. And YES this would probably require new (and wider) wheels that OEM. Which gives you a great opportunity to upgrade the appearance. I had great driving experience with wide tires from Yokohoma but can not remember exact size. For that you will have to ask around at local Honda dealership service department to start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.