Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
U mean intake, right? I just traced the path and it goes... big wide tube from grill bends down then over to air box under side. Through filter to airbox top side into the engine.
There's about a 1" tube connecting to the main intake tube just before it goes in the air box, and that leads down to a resonator or some sort.. i didn't trace it back to far, as nothing is forcing air to go through that. It's literally just a helmholtz resonator.. like blowing air across a bottle opening.

-Id also like to see pics of the underside or any other details on it.
A few people have installed aftermarket intakes.. maybe they can show us what they pulled out.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
the resonators arent restrictive... They have a straight through design. This is the case with 90% of the resonators on the market..

By removing the resonator you will make your exhaust a tiny bit louder and raspier.

I wouldnt do it. Most guys with aftermarket catbacks actually add resonators.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
oh also i would bet that the Z has a resonator somewhere just before the back axle. Also i would also bet that there will be a hanger combined with the resonator, so deleting it will be an exhaust shop only deal because you will have to make a test pipe to delete the resonator, and weld hangers back on to the pipe. Unless you have all the tools and materials to do so.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont mind it being alittle louder, but the res does restrict flow ever so slightly, about as much as a high flow filter would improve the flow so it balances that out. i have felt the difference with my butt dyno so you really cant tell me otherwise sorry. and that cut away shows me exactly what i know, the pipe tapers in to allow the sleeve to go over the pipe, then multiple holes allow the gasses to exit through them to hit a membrain, that in itself restricts flow. Its not alot but it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
when your car is louder is does feel faster, is it actually faster? no.

I used to be like you, trying to get HP out from the smallest things. It never really played out for me. But whatever floats your boat.

I would take a good read at this. I'll take real dyno over butt dyno any day.

Exhaust design effects on noise - Team Integra

Team Integra said:
The method that the resonator uses to decrease noise does not have any adverse effect on performance. Alot of people are mislead into thinking removing the resonator can free up exhaust flow. HyTech Exhaust in Irvine, CA tested their catback with and without a resonator and the dyno showed a difference of 2whp in favor of the resonator.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
^ and Hytech makes race exhausts for the Realtime racing Acura TSX's. i had their exhaust on my car. They are experts.

Resonators dont do much at all to exhaust flow but they help with noise significantly

·
Registered
26 Posts
i dont mind it being alittle louder, but the res does restrict flow ever so slightly, about as much as a high flow filter would improve the flow so it balances that out. i have felt the difference with my butt dyno so you really cant tell me otherwise sorry. and that cut away shows me exactly what i know, the pipe tapers in to allow the sleeve to go over the pipe, then multiple holes allow the gasses to exit through them to hit a membrain, that in itself restricts flow. Its not alot but it is what it is.
A tiny taper or lip is hardly going to make a difference. You could always remove some interior pieces or seats and gain more power than removing a resonator. Even a short ram intake would do more.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
OP, no hard feelings. If it makes you feel any better there are resonators that can disturb airflow. They are fairly uncommon though, ive never seen one in person before.

These resonators are louver perforated resonators. they look like this

Like i said, ive never seen one of these resonators before. And they arent on any hondas made in the last 10 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.