Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoon makes them and call them Sub Frame Rigid Collar Kit. I have never heard of this, in any car.

Products | SPOON OFFICIAL WEB

Anyone know what's up?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Basically they make the car lighter by removing cash from your wallet. ;)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
from the 240 world:

"Subframe bushing collars take up slop developed because of old stock rubber subframe bushings, to yield a more responsive suspension and reduced wheel hop on aggressive launches. These 8 piece aluminum collars install above and below each of the four bushings and retain the stock anti-squat geometry, vs. 4 piece spacers that just install on the bottom slightly increasing anti-squat. "

Z1 Subframe Bushing Collars S13

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
ok so these basically bolt up on the subframe via the big main bolts...

on the subfram there are 4 bolts something like 6" in length (can't remember exact)... these bolts pass through a rubber bushing via a metal tube in the center and bolt directly to the frame of the vehicle...

my guess would be these "collars" help strengthen those rubber bushings on the subframe... if you can imagine a motor mount for a second... it had the same kind of rubber bushing with metal tube in the center... a big bolt holds that engine mount the frame of the car... if you stiffen those mounts, it helps reduce engine movement... but the downside is it makes the car feel more rigid/rough in terms of actually feeling the engine moving the car...

those collars would probably do the same thing as the engine mounts in terms of ride roughness... you would probably feel everything even more... personally i think it's unnecessary b/c the CR-Z isn't some 600hp monster...

basically what JnC said :spinning:

·
Registered
158 Posts
they go here... SuperStreet: Wow, Spoon making parts for Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi? Why now?
SPOON: That's right, but only this subframe rigid collar though. It's such a small compatible product that we decided to offer it for other makes. It's compatible because it's basically like a washer that you squeeze shut between the suspension and subframe. Usually this part moves around and causes uneven movements of the chassis. But by stabilizing this point, the chassis becomes rigid and results in a very smooth ride. :hi5:

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Subframe collars are pretty awesome for other cars. I don't really feel like there is a ton of "slop" in the CR-Z subframe, but they certainly can't hurt.

I know for my Z's they ran about 40 bucks for the absolutely most effective ones of perfect build quality.

I think it's sort of stupid that they are 6 times that cost according to the exchange rate. I guess that's Spoon for you.

18,900 Yen = 234 USD

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks JnC

ok so these basically bolt up on the subframe via the big main bolts...

on the subfram there are 4 bolts something like 6" in length (can't remember exact)... these bolts pass through a rubber bushing via a metal tube in the center and bolt directly to the frame of the vehicle...

my guess would be these "collars" help strengthen those rubber bushings on the subframe... if you can imagine a motor mount for a second... it had the same kind of rubber bushing with metal tube in the center... a big bolt holds that engine mount the frame of the car... if you stiffen those mounts, it helps reduce engine movement... but the downside is it makes the car feel more rigid/rough in terms of actually feeling the engine moving the car...

those collars would probably do the same thing as the engine mounts in terms of ride roughness... you would probably feel everything even more... personally i think it's unnecessary b/c the CR-Z isn't some 600hp monster...

basically what JnC said :spinning:
Got it.

they go here... SuperStreet: Wow, Spoon making parts for Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi? Why now?
SPOON: That's right, but only this subframe rigid collar though. It's such a small compatible product that we decided to offer it for other makes. It's compatible because it's basically like a washer that you squeeze shut between the suspension and subframe. Usually this part moves around and causes uneven movements of the chassis. But by stabilizing this point, the chassis becomes rigid and results in a very smooth ride. :hi5:
Thanks for the pic!

Subframe collars are pretty awesome for other cars. I don't really feel like there is a ton of "slop" in the CR-Z subframe, but they certainly can't hurt.

I know for my Z's they ran about 40 bucks for the absolutely most effective ones of perfect build quality.

I think it's sort of stupid that they are 6 times that cost according to the exchange rate. I guess that's Spoon for you.

18,900 Yen = 234 USD
I don't feel much slop in the CRZ chassis, either. It almost seems over engineered.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.