Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bolts circled in yellow are rusted on my CR-Z. Does anyone know what size these are?

I would have checked it myself, but by the look of it, the bolts won’t go back in when I remove mine. So I don’t want to drive around without that air intake part securely in place.

·
Registered
620 Posts
That all looks very clean.. (y)

They look like 10mm head to me.
Take one out at a time and measure the length of it.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the link! I will see how bad that part is when I take the bolts out. However, it looks fine so far.

Is this a known spot to develop rust?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Is this a known spot to develop rust?
Is the rubber strip that runs along the front edge of your hood (or "bonnet" whatever 😛) still there? Unfortunately even with that thing there it doesn't seal that well on this car at least for me, could possibly adjust the latch a little lower so the hood seals tighter.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the rubber strip that runs along the front edge of your hood (or "bonnet" whatever 😛) still there? Unfortunately even with that thing there it doesn't seal that well on this car at least for me, could possibly adjust the latch a little lower so the hood seals tighter.
I actually just went outside to check this. The seal is pulled a bit back where the seal has a slight kink on each side. Hopefully, I can have a better look at this tomorrow. It’s snowing right now...

Adjusting the hood isn’t needed I think, since the panel gap long the side is even/constant.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Adjusting the hood isn’t needed I think, since the panel gap long the side is even/constant.
Right but wasn't talking about the sides since you asked about the intake bracket bolts rusting, adjusting the hood closing gap via the latch could seal the hood better against the front, that's the point of that rubber trim.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Right but wasn't talking about the sides since you asked about the intake bracket bolts rusting, adjusting the hood closing gap via the latch could seal the hood better against the front, that's the point of that rubber trim.
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant to say that the panel gap on the sides is even, so the hood in aligned correctly. So I understand that it’s not the gap that is the goal to adjusting the hood, but I assume it can be used a reference to see how the hood is aligned, right?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant to say that the panel gap on the sides is even, so the hood in aligned correctly. So I understand that it’s not the gap that is the goal to adjusting the hood, but I assume it can be used a reference to see how the hood is aligned, right?
No worries! And yes. Do they use salt or any corrosive chemicals for winter road treatment over there?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No worries! And yes. Do they use salt or any corrosive chemicals for winter road treatment over there?
Yes, they love salt here. As soon as it freezes, all main roads are covered in salt. So that seal is important here. ;)

It’s going to rain all day today, so I will remove the seal tomorrow and see what’s wrong with it. It might be installed incorrectly after a fog light replacement the previous owner did.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Since they use salt another tip is to occasionally rinse down the engine bay. Only do it on a dead cold engine that hasn't been driven for a while (like mornings), rinse it down, you don't need to cover anything in the CR-Z bay, dry off what you can with a towel and then go drive it. That should at least dissolve and remove some of salt thats built up during your winters.

I've been doing this to my engine every 6-12 months for the past decade (also add a little spray of simple green) with no problems.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since they use salt another tip is to occasionally rinse down the engine bay. Only do it on a dead cold engine that hasn't been driven for a while (like mornings), rinse it down, you don't need to cover anything in the CR-Z bay, dry off what you can with a towel and then go drive it. That should at least dissolve and remove some of salt thats built up during your winters.

I've been doing this to my engine every 6-12 months for the past decade (also add a little spray of simple green) with no problems.
Thanks for the tip! I will add the engine bay to my ‘winter cleaning routine’. After winter (or later if it stays cold, like now), I clean the undercarriage of my CR-Z to remove any salt residue.

·
Super Moderator
6,863 Posts
The Worx Hydroshot at low pressure woks well for this with regular car wash soap in the dispenser accessory but could use some simple green.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts