Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been scouring the internet trying to find out what my maximum "safe" wattage subwoofer amp would be for my 2013 CR-Z hybrid. I have seen posts on here that state they used a 1000w amp, and others saying they wouldn't go above 400w. This car is new to me, and my previous car I had an MB Quart 2000w Mono amp pushing 2x10" in a bandpass box. This car is much smaller so I was thinking I would take it down to 1x10", and was curious what size amp I will safely be able to use. I will not technically need more than 600w for the one sub, is this going to be perfectly fine? Also, I am planning to take the signal from the rear speakers with a line level converter and use the stock radio. Thanks for any info!

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
The cars with subwoofers have a dedicated sub woofer amp. IMO opinion if you are not replacing the head unit all you will do by adding an amp is multiply the noise. The sub woofer in these cars in the stock system is pretty minimal but it is a matched system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! I understand what you're saying and sure there will be some noise in the subwoofer, how much is debatable. I may replace the head unit, not sure yet. What I was was really wanting to know is the max "safe" wattage subwoofer amp to use in this hybrid car.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
Haven't a clue not sure what the factory amp is and I presume since system is designed for components it has adding more wattage will probably blow something like the sub woofer. But I am happy with it as it is. Good luck getting something that does what you want. There is an amplifier buried under the console or center stack that is an amplifier for the SUB.

What is your goal?

IMO the electrical charging system in this car is marginal and many have had issues with under hood batteries and other electrical issues stock adding more to it I am just not sure. We have no alternator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no stock amp in my car...it was one without amp. I've seen many posts on here where people have used 1000w amps with no issues for years.. I only need probably real world 500w.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
No factory subwoofer? If it has the sub then it has the amp if not you are on your own.

·
Super Moderator
7,355 Posts
OK so you have a base. In that case You are probably better off replacing all of it. I have an EX it has factory sub it was a middle model. In the long run relacing all of it will get you much better sound and capability.
It doesn't have either..it didn't come with this model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts