Votes: 35 50.7%
  • Sports

Votes: 16 23.2%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what "mode" (sports, normal, eco) did people drive in the most, and why? What kind MPGs are you getting in a particular mode...etc...

This is only my third week owning my CR-Z so I have stuck primarily in normal, although, I am going to dedicate my next tank of gas to eco mode to see if I can squeeze any more MPGs out of her, and then maybe mess around with sports mode a little bit. My average is 43.9 MPG, but only been through two tanks so far.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
SPORT = 90% of the time. Got all my trees and 3 levels (the trophy) at 5066 miles. Have not reset trip B and showing just a bit over 34mpg. I have gotten 40+ on longer highway drives - 100 miles round trip and am sure I could do that if all the time. But most driving is short distance and like to have a little fun. Nice to have the ECON available as an option... One of the best things about this little car...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm an owner for 6 mos. I now drive exclusively in sport since I found, as others have indicated here on the forum as well, that with the 6-mt fuel economy doesn't vary with mode and manage to get what I consider excellent gas mileage as noted below with fuelly. If you've got a manual I find it difficult to rationalize driving in any other mode. As alluded to by Scotty above, I've found length of trip and how long engine remains cold to be the major factors in mpg. If your mileage is down its not b/c of driving mode. So enjoy! I understand its a bit different story with cvt.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You're asking 2 different questions here..
For the poll, I drive in normal the most.
but for the title, I prefer sport.
+2

Drive in Econ as it reminds me that I am trying to save money on fuel.

I prefer Sport and have no qualms about punching it into sport when
I feel like paying attention and having a bit more fun. K

·
Registered
49 Posts
I mainly commute 6-7 days a week and stay in ECO 99% of the time. My driving habits have changed with age. I am no longer in a hury to get anywhere these days so ECO suits me fine so far. I'm on my second tank and currently hovering between 42.7 and 42.9 mpg. I'm hoping it will continue to climb as she gets broke in. Love the car!

·
Registered
33 Posts
i use eco quite a bit for the commute, i'm getting about 48-50mpg avg for a tank, i find if theres a big hill or pulling onto a fast road i blitz it in sport and then go back to eco, this makes it hold its avg mpg better.

When i'm not commuting tho its sport all the way!!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm generally switching between Econ and Sport. I'm rarely in normal.

I do almost all of my accelerating in sport mode, as well as my spirited driving.

But after I've reached speed on the interstate I switch to econ right after I put on the cruise control. It seems to make a significant MPG improvement.

I'll also use econ in stop and go traffic.

Normal only gets used on very short trips.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Being that a majority of my driving is my commuting to and from work, I like to drive in ECON to conserve gas. I drove in normal for about the first month of having it, but I hate watching the gauge change to blue when I apply the same pressure as I do in ECON.

Granted, if I am first in line at a stop light and open road ahead of me, rest assured I'm putting her into Sport. Sport also really comes in handy on merging on the highway.

·
Registered
332 Posts
After three months of CR-Z ownership, I'm morphing into a new way of driving, where like my 12 speed huffy bike back in college with a left-lever for the two pedal sprockets and the right-lever for the six wheel sprockets. Likewise, I have an 18 speed car where the left-lever is my Sport, Normal, and Eco buttons, and the right-lever is my 6MT shifter, which I use more often.

·
Registered
669 Posts
We ran our last 3 tankfuls in each of the modes and here are the results:
miles driven / gallons / cost / mpg
380.1 __ 9.479 __ $4.12 __ 40.1 mpg __ (All in Econ mode)
376.0 __ 9.519 __ $4.27 __ 39.5 mpg __ (All in Sport mode)
333.5 __ 8.153 __ $4.30 __ 40.9 mpg __ (All in Normal mode)

I guess with the 6MT you can run just about any mode and do ok.

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
We ran our last 3 tankfuls in each of the modes and here are the results:
miles driven / gallons / cost / mpg
380.1 __ 9.479 __ $4.12 __ 40.1 mpg __ (All in Econ mode)
376.0 __ 9.519 __ $4.27 __ 39.5 mpg __ (All in Sport mode)
333.5 __ 8.153 __ $4.30 __ 40.9 mpg __ (All in Normal mode)

I guess with the 6MT you can run just about any mode and do ok.
Whoa, thats pretty good.
That is down H2 to H1 and then back home H1 up to H2?? Making me miss Oahu. My drive before was from Ala Puumalu (close to Salt Lake) up to Wahiawa each day.. That up hill H2 drive killed me mileage....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.