Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
I've only found 0-20 oil from Honda and Mobil 1. Is anyone using another brand or viscosity oil? Your thoughts?
Castrol has it also.

With the auto stop/start, 0w20 is what is recommended by Honda - and I concur.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I couldn't find any Mobile 1 0w-20 so I went with 5w-20 which should be OK for the Hot Texas summer months but I hope I can find some 0w-20 when fall comes around.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Advanced Auto Parts (80% of stores in my area) lists Mobil 1 Full-Synthetic 0W-20 as in stock for $8.19 per quart. I pay their higher price, because I like their convenient used oil disposal service. Fully-synthetic oil is still the most expensive type, versus Mobil 1 SuperSyn which is only 'full-synthetic' in legal terms.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
my friend is a tech at honda, and he changed my oil at his cost of $15. he said to me that it's normally very pricey, but you must use 0w20.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I couldn't find any Mobile 1 0w-20 so I went with 5w-20 which should be OK for the Hot Texas summer months but I hope I can find some 0w-20 when fall comes around.

What is recommended by Honda...

It's not written in stone tablets that you have to use 0w-20?

You have my permission to use any w. oil you want. :hi5:

Is that my Bostons barking? I have to say sometimes to them, "Are you going to bark all day little dogies or are you going to bite?"

CRz for you and me.

-Roger

·
Capt'n Jack
9,499 Posts
:rotfl:

I kinda like HCR's - eh - eccentric posts.

Yes, 0W20 is optimum for the Honda Hybrid. A big part of that equation is the Auto Stop/Start. 5W20 is an OK sub. In fact, I used the Honda service department back in 07 when I bought my Civic Hybrid for its first (and free) oil change. Low and behold instead of putting 0W20, the windshield tag stated they put 5W20 (much cheaper dino oil). Didn't notice the windshield sticker till a couple days later and didn't really notice too much of a difference at operating temps. But, never went back.

I'm kind of surprised you can't find 0W20.. Been around for quite a while. Mobile/Castrol make it along with Honda of course. Can get it online if nothing else.

·
Registered
106 Posts
:rotfl:

I kinda like HCR's - eh - eccentric posts.

Yes, 0W20 is optimum for the Honda Hybrid. A big part of that equation is the Auto Stop/Start. 5W20 is an OK sub. In fact, I used the Honda service department back in 07 when I bought my Civic Hybrid for its first (and free) oil change. Low and behold instead of putting 0W20, the windshield tag stated they put 5W20 (much cheaper dino oil). Didn't notice the windshield sticker till a couple days later and didn't really notice too much of a difference at operating temps. But, never went back.

I'm kind of surprised you can't find 0W20.. Been around for quite a while. Mobile/Castrol make it along with Honda of course. Can get it online if nothing else.
LoL!

Huh, What... "are those words? here let me help you eat them" Nah! "Boom" ha, ha.

Seriously use any oil you want it's your car, your money.

I use 5w-20 Pennzoil, don't like it Boom, clean-up isle 3, clean-up isle 3.

Seriously, CYA, :hi5:

-Roger

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got mine changed today 0w-20 at the honda dealer for $46. For what it's worth he told me because this oil is or still is coming in quarts not 55 gallon drums it is pricier . Also bought touch up paint for the pearl white that was 20 bucks. It seems now were are two touch up containers in a set, one for the paint and another for the clear coat.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
LoL!

Huh, What... "are those words? here let me help you eat them" Nah! "Boom" ha, ha.

Seriously use any oil you want it's your car, your money.

I use 5w-20 Pennzoil, don't like it Boom, clean-up isle 3, clean-up isle 3.

Seriously, CYA, :hi5:

-Roger
Roger, exactly what part of Florida do you hail from good sir?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Roger, exactly what part of Florida do you hail from good sir?
Nice of you to ask I'm from West Florida.

For all you wondering about what oil to put in your cars. Honda recommends 0w-20 and you might think that is all you can put in it. So just to let you know it's perfectly ok to put 5w-20 in your car got it from the horses mouth no not Mr. Ed my service manager. We go way back and I consider him knowledgeable in the Honda business.

TY! J. for calling me back.

Best wishes to all the forum members.

-Roger

PS: No joking this time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are MANY MANY threads on IWSTI with people asking this same topic so a quick search will yield you plenty of answers now rather than waiting for replies in this thread.

But in order to not coming off sounding like a ****, I use Motul 5w40 in the warmer months and Motul 5w30 in the winter.

My car doesn't burn a drop of it.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
doing my second change, first one doing it myself on this car. will be looking for 0w20 full synth from here on. Eventually i hope synth will get cheaper then conventional oil with the raise in oil prices.

·
Registered
332 Posts
By SAE designation, 0W-20 and 5W-20 is identical at engine operating temperature, and especially at high loads. I guess 5W-20 at cold-start is a thinner oil in Florida at 90 degrees F versus 0W-20 in Illinois at 0 degrees F, so it all depends.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.