Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a new to me 2013 EX Milano Red CVT. The car had 55k miles on it when I got it. I've done the transmission drain, fill and changed the inline filter already. I am going to be piling the miles up on the car. My commute to work is about 80 miles one way through the mountains. The first 50 miles or so are easy, it's that last 25-30 miles that are curvy and have lots of elevation changes.

I am easy on my vehicles and perform maintenance ahead of schedule. They cost too much not to maintain and expect a good long life.

What kind of life can I expect out of the CVT?
How many miles have you got on your CVT?

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you religiously stick to the maintenance schedule for fluids, maybe even double it if you can afford it, there are no major issues to worry about. Typical Honda reliability.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our 2015 fit with cvt has 160k miles on. Only.issue it ever had was a bad rear wheel bearing. We do the maintenenace and it keeps on going.
Thank you for replying Big Bacon. That gives me a good idea of where my little car stands. How often do you change the CVT fluid?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you for replying Big Bacon. That gives me a good idea of where my little car stands. How often do you change the CVT fluid?
Check the maintenance schedule in the owners' manual. I usually always end up going with time rather than miles as I only do about 7000 miles annually.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The CVT is a very heavy complicated beast and has been used in the IMA cars since the early days of the G1 Insight around the year 2000...
They can fail with a variety of issues but on the whole last very well if properly maintained. (I have a CVT Insight.)

They absolutely require the correct maintenance, OEM fluids and filters and can be relaxing and silky smooth to drive..

The early units also had some calibration you had to do if the 12V battery died and it forgot things etc. Coast down and start clutch procedures..
If you don't do them the behaviour is more erratic/juddery. Not sure about the CR-Z, check the workshop/owners manuals.

Failures I have seen in the G1 Insight CVT include...
Internal bearings and sensors, belt failure, control module failure, and input shaft flywheel spline failure.
The last one is external to the CVT and not really a fault of the CVT itself.

The CR-Z develops a lot more power than the G1 Insight so the CVT units have likely been strengthened and developed a lot since those early days.
If you like an automatic CR-Z then it's the only choice so don't let it put you off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts