Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Ok I found this out prior to but what code would a paint shop use? Confirmed with 2 Honda Dealers that Collison centers and paint shops will only use the code from Honda as a reference and not what a shop would actually use as they won't get the paint from Honda. So any help would be appreciated.

Knew I should have posted here and not make a thread.

·
Volunteer Admin
2011 CRZ EX, and 2011 CRZ Mugen 060/300
6,184 Posts
For bulk amounts of paint, I dont know, but using HondaAutomotiveParts.com and going through Accessories I can see the part numbers for the touch up paints:

[Part No.] {Description}
[08703-BG57PAH-PN] {PAINT *BG57P* (HORIZON TURQUOISE PEARL)}
[08703-NH624PAH-2P] {PAINT *NH624P* (PREMIUM WHITE PEARL)}
[08703-NH642MAH-PN] {PAINT *NH642M* (STORM SILVER METALLIC)}
[08703-NH731PAH-PN] {PAINT *NH731P* (CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL)}
[8703-R81PAH-PN] {PAINT *R81* (MILANO RED)}

This is for 2011 (newer colors not included in this list, look for yourself on the website I mentioned)

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
For bulk amounts of paint, I dont know,.....
I have touch up paint and that's what they used the first time and it was a No go. Second time attempted colour match using gas cap. No go. So now trying to see for those that had parts painted PWP if they can ask the shops they used what colour code and brand they went with. Dupont is what the shops here using for brand.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Ok I found this out prior to but what code would a paint shop use? Confirmed with 2 Honda Dealers that Collison centers and paint shops will only use the code from Honda as a reference and not what a shop would actually use as they won't get the paint from Honda. So any help would be appreciated.

Knew I should have posted here and not make a thread.
They're right, these days the code is really just a reference. A good body shop will obtain the paint color using a digital spectrometer, basically a camera that reads color hues, directly off your personal vehicle.

They could get the paint from Honda, but the overwhelming majority of body shops would not (due to price). The reason they won't just use whatever paint code that matches is because it won't actually match the paint on the car due to fade. The vehicle has seen sunlight so our paint won't match the paint of a CR-Z in the same color rolling off the assembly line today, nor would it match the cans of fresh PWP at Suzuka. This is why touch up paint, even purchased directly from Honda, doesn't always match.

For example you're replacing a front bumper, they'll measure the color of the existing paint on the car with a digital spectrometer, if they're good they'll take samples at multiple areas near where the new body part or paint is going. They'll then use that information from the spectrometer in a database of available paint colors, if they can find a match they'll use that, if not they'll pick the closest and go with that or mix to achieve the desired color.

Many body shops will go a step further and blend the new area into the old paint. If it was just the fender that was damaged and replaced, they'll often blend the new paint into the bumper, hood and door, regardless if they were damaged or not, to ease the transition between the different paints (I am not a fan of this).

When I had a new bumper painted for the CR-Z, they used a digital spectrometer, not the paint code, measured from several areas around the car and they didn't order the paint from Honda. I also told them to just spray the bumper only, not to touch the car or install the bumper, and that I didn't care if it didn't match perfectly (would require blending, do not want).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.