Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, pardon my question if it seems silly but what's the purpose of this round base in the stock front suspension? Can it be partially removed without any compromise? Or would some coilovers take care of my clearance issue? My neighbor is selling me a set of OEM Honda wheels dirt cheap and it's almost too good to pass up. But I have this clearance issue . Rim and tires are 235 35 19x8.5 +50 offset . I noticed coilovers do not have that round base that's giving the issue with the stock suspension. Any ideas or input is and will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
110 Posts
I'm no suspension expert, but that looks like the place where the spring seats and holds the weight of the car, so don't remove it/cut itunless you want half your face ripped off by the spring.

In your case, you'll want at least 20mm spacers, most likely 25mm, because Accord wheels have a ton of offset. I'm running 18x8 wheels with +35 offset, and there's just enough space for everything. There's been some rubbing on the inside, but I've never noticed it, so it's either not serious, or one of those odd situations where the suspension rubs only when it's fully compressed and the wheels are fully turned. As for fitment, they sit pretty much flush at the back, poke out about 10mm on the front.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
that's the spring perch. coilovers use a more compact spring and have a more compact perch.

Trim it at your peril.

The increased width and offset on the accord wheels are the source of your clearance issues. I bet if you turn the steering wheel all the way to one side, you'll hit the frame rail with the tire before you seat the wheel on the hub.

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the info. The car was up in the air and it was bolted all the way , it was on the way down when we noticed the clearance issue. I'd have to mount it again and turn the wheel to see if it will run on the rail . Thanks for that tip. So, with that said would a coilover kit solve my issue or would I need spacers as well?

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
110 Posts
If you have the stock wheels, you can go and measure all the clearances between stuff. Then, you can use an online tool to compare your stock wheel and the new wheel. It'll tell you how much closer/further away everything will be.

I plugged stuff in for ya. I think that, to fix your problem, spacers are a better and much less expensive way to go.

Here's the new setup compared to the stock setup (17 inch wheels)

Here's how it would look with 20mm spacers

Here's you new setup +20mm spacers compared to my current setup

My setup is a tad tight inside. I found a spot that has rubbed to bare metal. I got the car a month ago and it came like this, so I'm not sure if it is from my current setup, or if the previous owner had something else on the car that caused this.

Your new setup would also cause the wheels to poke out quite a bit. Here's how they look on my car, for reference

Front:

Rear:

I don't like my wheels, so I was also considering some accord wheels. The 18x8 from the 2013-2015, to be specific, but decided against it in the end due to the offset.

I decided that the wheels from the 2013 Civic Si would be much easier to install (and look better too)

If I were you, I'd try to sell those Accord wheels and get a wheel for a Civic. It'll be easier to install, most likely needing no modifications. Those Accord wheels are just too big for the CR-Z

TL;DR: You need 20mm spacers. Your wheels will poke out quite a bit. Civic wheels would be a better option IMO.

·
Registered
2011 Cr-Z Ex NSBP
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the stock 16 at the moment. Thanks for the comparisons. It's beginning to be more clearer now . I appreciate you taking the time
😭😭😭😭 but I can't give up on it lol I'll go for some coilovers Bec I plan on going widebody at some point and when I do , I'll get the spacers. I think I found someone who does fender rolling/pulling near me. I'll keep my stocks on for now though

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
110 Posts
Fair enough. Coilovers are more expensive, but they allow you to tune your suspension a bit, lower the car, and improve handling.

Still, make sure that the new wheels clear everything else, such as control arms or the body of the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts