Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to COVID-19, buying a CR-Z took a bit more time than planned. However, I am now in the middle of (finally) buying one. It’s a 2011 model with 100.000 km (62.000 miles) on it. I asked the dealership to do a IMA battery test and they agreed to do that. All in all, my question is:

What percentage of IMA battery health would be normal/acceptable for a car of this age?

·
Super Moderator
5,607 Posts
All I can tell you is not one owner has replaced an IMA battery yet but we do have one member who had an IMA issue but sold the car due to them talking about $3000 before even diagnosing it.

The main repairs most owners talk about are IPU fan, DC to DC converter and under hood batteries.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information! Are the IPU fan and the converter expensive to replace?

·
Super Moderator
5,607 Posts
Less expensive than the battery pack!:p To be honest I do not know but maybe owners that have replaced one or both can let us know. Your 2011 has less mileage than my 2013 (75000)!

Thanks for the information! Are the IPU fan and the converter expensive to replace?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Maybe I just shouldn’t worry too much. It’s a Honda after all... Thanks again for the help!
I think your worries are sound, plenty of Hondas have had their own share of problems afterall and this isn't a typical issue. Going by owner experiences though, the IMA batteries seem incredibly sound, so I think you will be just fine with that. To be honest, I'm not sure how the dealership would even go about testing it, would be neat if there's a tool from the factory for IMA batteries that shows pertinent information. Congrats on finally getting your desired car!

·
Super Moderator
5,607 Posts
There is a Honda Tech tool they use to "talk" to Honda's it is a specialized scanner that hooks into the OBD II port and from what I have read it can do a lot of things similar to other professional scanners like a SnapOn.

I think your worries are sound, plenty of Hondas have had their own share of problems afterall and this isn't a typical issue. Going by owner experiences though, the IMA batteries seem incredibly sound, so I think you will be just fine with that. To be honest, I'm not sure how the dealership would even go about testing it, would be neat if there's a tool from the factory for IMA batteries that shows pertinent information. Congrats on finally getting your desired car!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They just phoned me and told me the battery is fine, but without any proof, so I guess they maybe didn’t actually measure/test the battery... All in all, I will post pictures next week when I will get the CR-Z. :)

Just one more concern: I often read here that the car should be driven 30 minutes straight each month (for the battery). However, the car has been at the dealership for a while and I can’t drive it the first two weeks (paperwork due to import). So possibly, the car won’t be driven for too long.

In short, I have too much time to think and worry during the lockdown... ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,607 Posts
The past is the past. You can't change the past. Hopefully they removed the "Back Up" fuse which is the one they remove when they ship the car from Japan to keep it from discharging. Once you get it then put it on a trckle charger for the under hood to make sure it is fully charged or take it out for a run and then put it on a charger. Ask them for details of "the test" .

They just phoned me and told me the battery is fine, but without any proof, so I guess they maybe didn’t actually measure/test the battery... All in all, I will post pictures next week when I will get the CR-Z. :)

Just one more concern: I often read here that the car should be driven 30 minutes straight each month (for the battery). However, the car has been at the dealership for a while and I can’t drive it the first two weeks (paperwork due to import). So possibly, the car won’t be driven for too long.

In short, I have too much time to think and worry during the lockdown... ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The past is the past. You can't change the past. Hopefully they removed the "Back Up" fuse which is the one they remove when they ship the car from Japan to keep it from discharging. Once you get it then put it on a trckle charger for the under hood to make sure it is fully charged or take it out for a run and then put it on a charger. Ask them for details of "the test" .
I don’t have a trickle charger unfortunately. Since I am not allowed to drive on the public road when I get it, would it be smart to just keep the revs over 3.000 rpm for a while? I read it charges the IMA battery.

About “the test”: they said that they measured the voltage and that the voltage was fine, as it should be.

·
Super Moderator
5,607 Posts
Order a trickle charger on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-SuperSmart-Constantly-Encapsulated/dp/B000CITKCE/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=3QG18ZUVMUJGX&dchild=1&keywords=battery+tender&qid=1590612767&sprefix=Battery,aps,132&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzN1FDSU45TkdEOTZRJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzg3MzQ4NDQxWjJYTjhPOVA5JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyMDA1MTAzSFlCWTNTNlFPMzFIJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== or https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sxin_7?ascsubtag=amzn1.osa.345c42b8-7789-4031-8b85-39110f5daffd.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&creativeASIN=B000CITK8S&crid=3QG18ZUVMUJGX&cv_ct_cx=battery+tender&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osa.345c42b8-7789-4031-8b85-39110f5daffd.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-single-source&dchild=1&keywords=battery+tender&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B000CITK8S&pd_rd_r=a9dcf647-0df4-4395-a02d-d01aa8e51fae&pd_rd_w=sCyhj&pd_rd_wg=eirGs&pf_rd_p=bc1f22df-1f73-4582-9d4c-c47321af5fa2&pf_rd_r=DPP0E8VV4Z83GQ9XB6KQ&qid=1590612820&sprefix=Battery,aps,132&sr=1-1-72d6bf18-a4db-4490-a794-9cd9552ac58d&tag=cyw_os-20

You can rev it but it can cause temperature issues

I don’t have a trickle charger unfortunately. Since I am not allowed to drive on the public road when I get it, would it be smart to just keep the revs over 3.000 rpm for a while? I read it charges the IMA battery.

About “the test”: they said that they measured the voltage and that the voltage was fine, as it should be.

·
Registered
2012 Sport / manual / NSBP
86 Posts

These chargers can be bought in many popular markets, like tesco, auchan or idk what brands do you have in your country. I have one from tesco for idk how many years, not super fancy but it does the job. It was super cheap, like ~20€ or something.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! I just bought one at a local car store.

Just out of curiosity, is the IMA battery of the CR-Z the same as the one in the Insight, Civic Hybrid, and Jazz Hybrid?

·
Registered
2014 CR-Z, Base, CVT
254 Posts
Doesn't seem like it. A quick read of the wikipedia article suggests that it's different from the one in the Civic and the CR-Z

"The Insight's IMA is powered by a flat, nickel-metal hydride battery pack located below the cargo floor between the rear wheels. The 84 module battery is manufactured by Sanyo Electric[55] and provides a nominal system voltage of 100.8 volts with a nominal capacity of 5.75 ampere-hours.[56] The power density of the modules is 30 percent greater than in the second generation Civic Hybrid."

2011-2012 CR-Zs have a nickel-metal hydride battery with a pack voltage of 144 volts. 2013 and newer CRZs have a 144 volt lithium battery (not sure on the exact lithium chemistry).

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
2011-2012 CR-Zs have a nickel-metal hydride battery with a pack voltage of 144 volts. 2013 and newer CRZs have a 144 volt lithium battery (not sure on the exact lithium chemistry).
I don't remember the exact voltage but 2012 and older CR-Z IMA battery was around 110, 2013 and newer is 144.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Indeed, that’s why I was wondering if the batteries are the same, because the ‘old’ CR-Z has a lower voltage battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts