Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

What grade fuel are you using and what is your mileage?

• 85-87

Votes: 193 75.4%
  • 88-90

Votes: 22 8.6%
  • 91+

Votes: 38 14.8%
  • 25-32mpg

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • 33-38mpg

Votes: 75 29.3%
  • 39+mpg

Votes: 79 30.9%
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have been using 89 E10. I have tried 87 just to see what it did, got crap fuel mileage, than tried 93 and 91 and both netted about the same economy as 89 octane. So I stuck with 89 because it is cheep around here. I may use 93 on the days I AutoX just for a little better zing, but as far as fuel economy goes, I only got 1 more mpg using 93 vs 89, both are E10 (I live in Iowa)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've been using 87 E10. I am pretty convinced that the reason why I get a little worse gas mileage than most is simply because all the gas around here is E10, even the Premium.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've used 87 exclusively and average 37-40 mpg overall, mostly in sport mode. My experience is that the greatest variance in mileage is dependent on 1. length of trip and 2. outside temperature. It's rare that I can get over 30 mpg for trips less than 5-7 mi, and starting in the cold is likewise. No actual experience but would be skeptical that fuel grade is much of a factor except in cost.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Wow, another thread covering well beaten dead horse topics.. but ok...
As has been said a billion times...
use 87 UNLESS you can find ethanol free premium.
MPG is all the same between grades..
BUT, the ethanol kills MPG. Some areas (my state) can sell premium w/out ethanol. When I use ethanol free I get at least 3mpg better.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, another thread covering well beaten dead horse topics.. but ok...
As has been said a billion times...
use 87 UNLESS you can find ethanol free premium.
MPG is all the same between grades..
BUT, the ethanol kills MPG. Some areas (my state) can sell premium w/out ethanol. When I use ethanol free I get at least 3mpg better.
Here in montana it is harder to find ethanol that it is to not find it. The pumps that have the ethanol are mid grade but our low grade here is like 85 octane if i remember right and our mid grade is 88 octane and low grade is 85 on most pumps. Where i grew up in south dakota there where a lot of pumps with only ethonal but their octanes where 87 89 and 91-93 where they are much lower out here.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Oh, 85 should be fine too.. The ECU in the car can adjust for octane differences.. maybe that's why we don't see any change between grades.. A few people did extensive testing on this about 6 months ago. And octane made absolutely no difference.

You're lucky if you can easily find ethanol free fuel! Premium gets expensive and is relatively a waste for this car.. But I'm trying to be able to post high MPG numbers here on the forum so I want to use the ethanol free stuff! :)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hey, by the way.. What you say didn't sound right (I thought it was a nation wide thing) so looked it up..

Montana

Montana is among the states attempting to be a leader in the ethanol industry. Its E10 mandate was enacted in 2005.
Montana law also requires that all gas sold in the state includes 10-percent ethanol, with the exception of 91 octane, according to the All Business website.

Read more: States That Mandate the Use of E10 | eHow.com States That Mandate the Use of E10 | eHow.com

Montana is also one of the first states to pass a law saying they can take the "contains ethanol" sticker OFF the pumps.. so they may not say they have it.. but they do.. and often up to 20% according to some websites I just read.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey, by the way.. What you say didn't sound right (I thought it was a nation wide thing) so looked it up..

Montana

Montana is among the states attempting to be a leader in the ethanol industry. Its E10 mandate was enacted in 2005.
Montana law also requires that all gas sold in the state includes 10-percent ethanol, with the exception of 91 octane, according to the All Business website.

Read more: States That Mandate the Use of E10 | eHow.com States That Mandate the Use of E10 | eHow.com

Montana is also one of the first states to pass a law saying they can take the "contains ethanol" sticker OFF the pumps.. so they may not say they have it.. but they do.. and often up to 20% according to some websites I just read.

That is interesting. That would be why i do not see hardly any ethanol stickers where as back in sd there was ethanol stickers on every pump for mid grade and some low and premium grade. I wonder why our octane rating is so low then because i thought ethanol increased the octane rating more?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Doesn't the common available octane have to do with elevation? Since Montana is at a higher elevation with the Rockies, I'd expect it to have lower octane gas.

I live in Massachusetts and our "regular" is 87 octane.
My sister lives in Denver and their "regular" is 85 octane.

I always use 87 (isn't that the whole point of having a Honda? You save on gas bc it's rated for a lower octane?)
We have almost 22k miles on Sherman, and have averaged about 36mpg (although we're coming out of winter in the northeast, and our mpg dropped a ton; I've already noticed a huge improvement in mpgs on the warmer days).

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.