Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the decision of what car to buy for most of you was probably easy, but I'm curious to know what other vehicles :confused: did you consider before buying your CR-Z and the main reason you chose it. I would also like to hear from those like me who are yet waiting to buy your CR-Z.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I test drove the Kia Forte Coupe and the Mazda 2. I liked the power of the Kia, but the seating position was WAY too high now matter what I did with the seat. The Mazda felt much better, but didn't care for the lack of power.

I also looked at the Ford Fiesta and liked what I saw. Didn't drive it, but the rear drum brakes on a car built on 2011 just seems lazy to me. How can you not have four wheel disc brakes in this day and age?

·
Registered
693 Posts
For me, I considered every car on the market but compared the CRZ directly to nothing.

My wife and I never really "need" a new car, but we both like cars so when something comes along that strikes our fancy we buy it.

I initially got excited about the CRZ when the first concept was shown in 2008. Then, last October when they showed the near production CRZ concept, I decided that we would get one.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
The Ford Fiesta- too ugly. Then the FIAT 500- until I found out that the closest dealer was going to be two hours away and I have already delt with that crap when I had my MINI. It makes things like warranty items a huge P.I.A!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm not waiting to buy. I drove it home on Aug 24th.
I considered Mini Cooper S (mt), Ford Fiesta, Acura TSX (mt), Audi A3, Golf GTI, MB C300 (mt).

Pretty much there were none mt C300 in stock. It had to be ordered and I wanted to test drove the mt before buying so... no C300.

Similar on TSX, well... there were actually one in stock but someone bought it before me. And I didn't want to wait 3 months for another one. I also was looking for a 2006 TSX (6mt) but I failed to find one in good condition.

A3 and Golf were excellent but I had heard too many scary story about them. A friend who owns an A3 actually warned me,"You have to be very lucky to pick up a reliable one. If you do, you'll love it. If you don't, you will be dying to get rid of it after 6 months."

Ford Fiesta was fine. Quiet and comfort in a small hatchback. A lot of nice options, keyless start, sync system, colour change-able interior light, etc. However, I didn't like to drive it. I felt too disconnected even with a mt.

Mini Cooper S came really close to CR-Z in my mind with Mini's lease special. It ended up to a point that my brain told me to go for Mini and my heart wanted the CR-Z. After 2 months, I still sometime wonder if I should get the Mini.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was at the Honda dealer, getting the oil changed in my 2008 Honda Accord, in June 2010. I met fellow senior (as in age) customer. We started talking about hybrids, I mentioned that they had the Insight hybrid on display outside. He said that he is waiting on a new sport model hybrid coming out soon. So when I got a email from Honda and saw some ads about it, I already knew what I wanted to buy. So there were no others that I looked at.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Test drove Suzuki Kisashi (thought it sucked), Honda Insight (nice but not much fun), Volvo C30 (nice.. but wanted better mileage), Considered driving VW GTI, but have had bad experience with VW.

Wanted a manual coupe ... which limits choices... preferably a 2 seater, which really limits choices.

Wanted at least double the mileage I was getting in my 2000 MT 4runner (16-17)

That seemed to narrow the field... Mini or CR-z

did some research on reliability. Honda is usually a 10 (scale 1 to 10).. Mini's are a 6.

So bought the CR-Z (which is what I really wanted anyway)

·
Registered
169 Posts
What else did I consider. Well I've had a bit of history with cars, started off with a Ford Fiesta, two Renault Meganes (hatchback and coupe). Then a BMW 3 Series, Honda Civic Type-R, BMW 1 Series, Mini Cooper S and my last car a Mercedes C180.

I had a few points I wanted checked off with whatever I got.

1. Good Mileage - petrol over here in the UK is expensive.
2. Not too horrid to insure / tax.
3. Reliable.
4. Something fun to drive.
5. Didn't want to spend over £24K

I originally had a look at various cars, some such as Merc. and BMW were out due to price and insurance cost. VW etc. were out because I've heard of many people saying that they are not reliable. Fancied a hybrid as that would check off points 1 & 2, but they are usually not much fun. I tried a Prius and even the new Auris HSD - especially as it was being built in the UK.. but they were boring.

When I saw the CR-Z it checked all the boxes apart from 4.. is I hadn't ever driven one. Took one for a test drive and was sold on it. It was just a matter of getting the right deal then.

Yes it's not the perfect super-miler hybrid, and yes it is not the fastest of sporty cars. It is not as mad as a Type-R for performance.. but what it is is perfect blend of everything I need in a car. Decent milage, cost to run it is good (low road tax and insurance in comparison to other cars I've had), good reliable Honda engineering - good build quality, as it is made in Japan. And very important - FUN to drive.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
A whole list of cars:

Jetta TDI - More expensive both fuel and upkeep, plus no warranty on the complex exhaust system
Saab 9-3 - Came to the smart decision of not buying a used luxury car
BMW 328i CPO - To many of these rolling around, again decided against used luxury
Mini Cooper S - To many reliability worries, my buddy has an 04 and is always in the process of dealing with some fault
Kia Forte Koup - A test drive settled this one. Cheap cheap cheap.
Mazda 3 - Horrid fuel economy, 17.1 mpg on a test drive, worst out of any car I tested including the BMW and Saab.
Sonata SE - Really nice, but I realized everyone else would own one, didn't like the fact the paddle shifters don't hold gears, and the fuel economy minded transmission likes to upshift all the time leaving you waiting several seconds while the unit hunts a lower gear on the highway

·
Registered
618 Posts
I considered one of the new 2011 Minis given the efficiency and smartphone integration improvements. But coming from a Cooper S, I'm liking that the CRZ is more comfortable and not harsh. Not having a heavy clutch makes a bigger difference in driver fatigue than I would have thought. It's also nice to drive a car where everything works as it should.

If Fiat brings a diesel engine or the twin-air over, I'll definitely give it a look for the engine tech. There's much rumors about the Mazda sky engine approaching 70 mpg. But it's really nice to have a sleek economical 2 seat hatch again.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I went to the local Honda dealer to look at the Civic SI 6speed and I saw a blue CR-Z CVT sitting their and I asked about it and if it came in a manual and the sales man said yep and old me the next one coming in was a blue EX NAV 6MT, and I told him as soon as it comes in I want to see if before they do anything to it. And when it came in I bought it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for sharing your personal stories, it just reaffirms my decision to buy a CR-Z soon, BTW I have considered a used 3 series coupe (USED is the problem here) the Forte Koup, Mini's, etc., there's just nothing like the CR-Z out there now IMO.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The cars that didn't win :p

BMW 116 diesel
Honda Civic 2.2 diesel
VW Scirocco TDI

I just fell in love with the CR-Z, the other cars just weren't as exciting. The Civic was probably the one that came closest, but costing way more with less gadgets. The Z just has everything I wanted and still not costing that much. Also I never had any problems with my previous Honda, making me not want to find out what could go wrong on yet another German car.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ford Fiesta HB- Awesome handling but the power delivery was as slow as my 94 civic cx.

Honda Fit- Decent, couldn't get past the 2nd gen looks though.

Mini Cooper Base- Really nice, but have friends with horror stories for maintenance, and Im transferring to a college that the closest dealership would be 5 hours away.

Edit: VW Golf-The torque on this car was amazing for a 5 cylinder, same complaints as mini but add in that there was a plastic piece above the gas pedal that my foot would get stuck on (too big of a hazard).

I was also interested in the Nissan Juke that was coming out, but the manual transmission specced out to a higher price than I wanted to pay, and it was still a few months out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.