Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ECU causes the CVT to "simulate shifting" on the CR-Z also, as it does on any previous car.

i HATE this. it doesn't allow max acceleration because the engine isn't turning at max torque at all times.

someone told me that they do it because people complain that if they don't feel the "shifting", they feel the car is slow. because apparently the first cvt car didn't have the shifting effect and people complained

·
Registered
122 Posts
Honda's CVT does not simulate shifting unless you tell it to (by placing it into sport mode and upshifting or downshifting with the paddles shifters).

My wife also used to have a FWD A4 with a CVT, and just like the Honda you can actually accelerate while never going above 2,000 rpm. Although you accelerate slowly, it's nice to have that type of control with your right foot.

Regarding the paddle shifters: I don't really like the way the upshifts feel, but the downshifting while coming up to a fast turn is awesome. Definitely a desireable feature, and a lot of fun. I still prefer a manual shifter, but if that's not an option the paddle shifters are a decent alternative.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was decidedly against the CVT before I drove the car. I've previously owned a first-gen Insight with a manual transmission and loved it.

That said it only took me about 10 minutes with the CSV in the CR-Z to change my mind. In full-auto mode it feels like you have one gear and an engine with a huge rev. range (like an electric car or motorcycle) and control is excellent. I'm not completely sold on the "manual mode" but there is definitely something attractive to being able to "fix" the ratio at one of seven positions...

One thing I would like to know is how much of the CVT's behavior is controlled mechanically and how much can be tweaked via software changes. I can imagine some very cool tuning applications of a transmission that can behave like an on-the-fly programmable fixed-speed transmission...

The biggest question I have is how much power (and abuse) can the CVT handle. If (when) mods become available to increase the output of this engine/motor combo are we going to hit some torque limit with the CSV that is higher in the six-speed manual?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I also thought the rapid fire downshifts while under braking were quite fun in an F1 sort of way.

I would have gotten the CVT if I didn't have a second car that was a manual, and I wasn't concerned about picking up bad habits.

·
Registered
175 Posts
...i HATE this. it doesn't allow max acceleration because the engine isn't turning at max torque at all times...
Sorry, not the torque-"output" from the engine, but the torque-"input" to the wheels makes the acceleration. The torque at the wheels is the better, the closer the engine can work to the max power-"output".
With a manual transmission you have several gears to achieve this (the more, the better from a physical point of view), to choose the most fitting ratio from the engine to the wheels.
In this sense, a CVT has an unlimited number of ratios, it can drive a car at nearly any possible speed with max power output. For the CR-Z, the CVT must turn up the engine to 6000 rpm for max power (kick-down), hold this rpm continuously adapting the ratio for max acceleration.
Consider that the CR-Z has its max torque at 1000-1500 rpm and imagine the acceleration you can have at this point.
I would have ordered my CR-Z with CVT because I have been driving CVT now for 6 years in my Mercedes, but unfortunately Honda does not deliver it to Europe, because they want to give the CR-Z a kind of sportive touch which is not compatible with an automatic transmission here in Europe.
So I have the 6MT now, but it is ok (back to the roots).
Hopefully my English was good enough to explain what I mean.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
personally i think the 6MT would be much easier to tune and add power to... which is probably the only reason i'm staying away from the CVT... that and the hideously high shifter... i'd replace that to have something similar to the M-series SMG shifter on the BMW's... sounds weird but that has a lot to do with my decision, probably more than adding power...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Adding aftermarket power may be harder to do with the CVT. It depends on how much torque it can handle.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
personally i think the 6MT would be much easier to tune and add power to... which is probably the only reason i'm staying away from the CVT... that and the hideously high shifter... i'd replace that to have something similar to the M-series SMG shifter on the BMW's... sounds weird but that has a lot to do with my decision, probably more than adding power...
Good luck with swaping an SMG in there. That would be a lot of work.

I have a friend with an M5 with SMG. He absolutely hates it for daily driving. I've driven it and agree. It's very clunky and unrefined. So much so he's looking to sell it. Replacing it with the new CTS-V. He does say it's fine in "M" mode. But you can't push that car on the street without endangering others, so M mode is kinda useless on the street.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Good luck with swaping an SMG in there. That would be a lot of work.

I have a friend with an M5 with SMG. He absolutely hates it for daily driving. I've driven it and agree. It's very clunky and unrefined. So much so he's looking to sell it. Replacing it with the new CTS-V. He does say it's fine in "M" mode. But you can't push that car on the street without endangering others, so M mode is kinda useless on the street.
no no no... i was referring to just shifter part... not the actual transmission :p if i wanted to go sequential, i'd get a Sadev gearbox Sadev - Gearbox conception

and i agree M-mode is pointless on the street on that car lol...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
no no no... i was referring to just shifter part... not the actual transmission :p if i wanted to go sequential, i'd get a Sadev gearbox Sadev - Gearbox conception

and i agree M-mode is pointless on the street on that car lol...
Oh, ok. I get you. I would prefer that shifter, too. I have the CVT and I don't find a problem with it, though. If you're in normal or econ it behaves like a regular CVT. And I like the paddles in Sport. They shift very quickly.

And which Sadev transaxle would you use, out of curiosity? In the turbo thread it seems as if you're going to do something. would you use the SCL 82-17 or the SCL90-16?

Oh, didn't notice that they're dog boxes. Straight cut gears are way too loud for dd.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
aside from not being able to hit the limiter on the CVT and the fact that it will probably harder to tune them as well... that shifter part is just entirely too big for my taste...
I agree, the CVT won't handle as much. But I like my CVT's shifter. It's in the right place for me. To each his own, I guess. :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Shifter is surprisingly ergonomic...I hated the look of it at first...but once I got my hands on it...all was well again in the world.
:yeahthat::hi5:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.