Honda CR-Z Hybrid Car Forums banner

What did you do with the OEM shocks/struts and springs after purchasing coilovers?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Evo_Winters 
#1 ·
Anyone have their OEM shocks/struts and springs laying on a shelf somewhere? Mind if I buy them? or could I have you take a few measurements? I'm mocking up a lift kit for the Z but I still need to drive it every day so I can't take it apart. I bought all the components adjacent to the spacers (minus the shocks/struts/springs) and got this far...

I have a 3D printer to print the spacers in PLA for a test fit outside the car. Once everything fits correctly I'll have my local shop fabricate the final version out of steel and put a nice coat of paint on it to avoid rust.

I read a Grassroots Motorsport article about a Miata raised 3" so that's what I modeled. However after taking my wheels off this weekend and taking pictures of the strut assemblies I'm now concerned about how short the brake lines are and may dial the spacers back to 2" maybe 1.5". I don't want to learn how to run brake lines and I don't want to pay someone else to do it for me. But 3" would be more badass...

TLDR: Can I buy your Shocks/Struts for science?

See less See more
#2 ·
https://www.crzforum.com/threads/so...da-crz-stock-coil-springs.93315/#post-1386418 or https://www.redlineautoparts.com/

Anyone have their OEM shocks/struts and springs laying on a shelf somewhere? Mind if I buy them? or could I have you take a few measurements? I'm mocking up a lift kit for the Z but I still need to drive it every day so I can't take it apart. I bought all the components adjacent to the spacers (minus the shocks/struts/springs) and got this far...
View attachment 60205
I have a 3D printer to print the spacers in PLA for a test fit outside the car. Once everything fits correctly I'll have my local shop fabricate the final version out of steel and put a nice coat of paint on it to avoid rust.

I read a Grassroots Motorsport article about a Miata raised 3" so that's what I modeled. However after taking my wheels off this weekend and taking pictures of the strut assemblies I'm now concerned about how short the brake lines are and may dial the spacers back to 2" maybe 1.5". I don't want to learn how to run brake lines and I don't want to pay someone else to do it for me. But 3" would be more badass...

TLDR: Can I buy your Shocks/Struts for science?

#4 ·
Definitely think 3" lift will cause more problems than you know what to do with, but 2 might work.
I found 1.2" (30mm) CRZ spacers somewhere, so if I settle for 1.5" (38mm) I'll consider it a win. I tend to engineer the end product before doing a proof of concept first.
I also hope to get more length from the brake lines by un-clipping them from the factory hold down locations.

#6 ·
No rallying. I just wanted to design something useful in SolidWorks, print it on my 3D printer, and get to know my local shop. Plus winter is here. I should have started prototyping sooner...

I wanted to do coilovers by spring but going 180° and lifting the Z could be a fun time waster until then. And hopefully the results are 'interesting' if nothing else.

#7 ·
I really look forward to seeing some prototypes!

I have been travelling through Mexico for the past 3 months with my bone stock Z and ground clearance has been somewhat problematic. Sometimes it's like driving on the moon. Not potholes; craters. Even at home in Ontario, I find myself having to be pretty careful on speed bumps and even parts of my own driveway.

I've been throwing the idea around in my head of somehow achieving an inch or 2 more ground clearance, and maybe also going from a 195/55r16 to something like 205/70R16. I know the car would be a little more sluggish, but my highway fuel economy should get a little better, and it would be a lot easier to not bash the bottom of the car on stuff (I have been getting my monies worth out of the plastic cover over the past few weeks.)

The original suspension is still in the car, and has over 300k km on it now, so it's probably pretty tired at this point anyways.

#8 ·
And this is why I do not understand why people Lower CR-Zs! My bone stock 2013 does rub on some driveways etc here in VA too. What about going to 17" wheels with the appropriate non low profile tires? They were available as an upgrade from Dealer when car was new.

#12 ·
On a side note Maxxis Tires and HPD already have 2 CR-Zs competing in rally. One is a k swap with the "Hot Bits" suspension upgrades. The other CR-Z was completely stock for a bit and then received the "Hot Bits" also. "Hot Bits" was the name given to the suspension mods by the development team. I didn't probe any further.

I still want to pursue the 1.5" lift but its nice to know some people are crazy enough to rally a stock CR-Z. Just add Maxxis rally tires and you're pretty good to go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.